What to do about opt-outs?

It'd be cool if someone did a fake opt-out to get an advantage

Or changed his mind during halftime and suited up.

shanefalco-falco.gif

My idea is to make all bowl game opt outs pay all their scholarship money back. Players with a true NFL future won't mind, the ones that are rolling the dice are really rolling the dice...

Exactly, what are they paying back? Bowls are after the academic semester, so that obligation is met. Corporate sponsors foot majority of the bill, so you want them to pay the sponsors back? Kenny Pickett put Pitt on that national stage today and made them somewhat relevant. You really want to penalize the guy who brought an economic boost to your program?

Again, why the burden is always on the players to do what’s good for the game and not the coaches and leaders of these AA? Every action has consequences, good or bad. The playoffs that we all begged for, killed the value of the bowl game. Pickett is projected to be the 1st QB taken in the NFL draft. If he wants to play fine, but i totally understand not risking $20MM+ payday on a meaningless exhibition game

My idea is to make all bowl game opt outs pay all their scholarship money back. Players with a true NFL future won't mind, the ones that are rolling the dice are really rolling the dice...

"Your honor, antitrust laws do not apply here because football players are students, not employees. Allowing schools to pay their players fair market value is incompatible with the student athlete model. This is about young men getting an education and playing football, not 21 year olds going to work and getting paid."

*Next case*

"Your honor, this player refuses to pay back his scholarship money after skipping his final game. Allowing players to keep their scholarship money without finishing the work they are doing in exchange for that money is incompatible with the basic employment model in this country. This is a billion dollar business, and if you don't go to work you don't get paid."

Last edited:
If the playoffs were 5 conference champions plus the highest ranked independent / G5 champion, then KP probably plays. Walker probably doesn't since MSU wouldn't have been in playoffs. Conference championships are kinda round 1 of playoffs and carry tons of weight and interest through the entire season.

The Athletic had some interesting thoughts from their writers and readers.....one was to set the CFP after initial wave of bowls to make sure you have the best teams in. Someone sits out a bowl game- their "team" isn't as good and they may not win....missing the playoffs. Don't think it'll ever happen- but interesting idea.

And he quit on them. At some point, the "I gotta prep for the combine" became a crutch for abandoning your teammates

It's easy to judge from afar with that holier-than-thou attitude. It was pretty evident that he was still invested in the success of his teammates last night, even if he made the difficult decision not to play.

"Your honor, antitrust laws do not apply here because football players are students, not employees. Allowing schools to pay their players fair market value is incompatible with the student athlete model. This is about young men getting an education and playing football, not 21 year olds going to work and getting paid."

*Next case*

"Your honor, this player refuses to pay back his scholarship money after skipping his final game. Allowing players to keep their scholarship money without finishing the work they are doing in exchange for that money is incompatible with the basic employment model in this country. This is a billion dollar business, and if you don't go to work you don't get paid."

And even apart from those inconsistencies, if we're basically going to view the scholarship like a salary, in what world would it make sense to demand the entirety of the scholarship money back due to opting out of one game? Should we also demand players pay their scholarship money back if they transfer or fail to meet certain performance-based benchmarks?

Or does it only apply to the particular case of when it makes fans butthurt that their favs aren't playing in a three-hour long advertisement for a mayonnaise brand?

And even apart from those inconsistencies, if we're basically going to view the scholarship like a salary, in what world would it make sense to demand the entirety of the scholarship money back due to opting out of one game? Should we also demand players pay their scholarship money back if they transfer or fail to meet certain performance-based benchmarks?

Or does it only apply to the particular case of when it makes fans butthurt that their favs aren't playing in a three-hour long advertisement for a mayonnaise brand?
I'd be OK with pay it back and lose the balance of your scholarship (however little might be remaining) if you sit out a Bowl game. And maybe schools should be required to buy insurance in case a kid is injured in the Bowl game and it impacts his NFL draft status. And go back to sitting out a year if you transfer schools, or are ruled academically ineligible, or dismissed from the team for misconduct. But no kid should lose his scholarship just because he didn't play as well as the coaches hoped when they crooted him. They're STUDENT-Athletes dammit. Can we honor the STUDENT part of that?

And college coaches should be required to sit out at least a year if they transfer or are fired for misconduct, too.

And no high school kid should be called a "commit" until they actually commit.

Is it too much to ask that we have a fig leaf of honesty and integrity in college football?

Is it too much to ask that we have a fig leaf of honesty and integrity in college football?

Fig leaf ? I don't think Fig Netwons are pumping money into the bowl system, so I'm not sure that will work

How about a cheez it of honesty and integrity?

1640978485652.png

Or maybe a spoonful of Duke's mayo of honesty and integrity?

1640978537864.png

I actually think the mayo one is a good idea because they've already got the student athletes directly involved in showcasing the honesty and integrity of mayonnaise:

gettyimages-1293819986.jpg

Not sure how some student athletes can look at good stuff like that and be so selfish as to decide not to participate because of greed. But I guess that's the world we live in now. One side is trying to make bowl games about education, integrity, and amateurism and the other is just concerned with money.

Fig leaf ? I don't think Fig Netwons are pumping money into the bowl system, so I'm not sure that will work

View attachment 47997

View attachment 47998

I actually think the mayo one is a good idea because they've already got the student athletes directly involved in showcasing the honesty and integrity of mayonnaise:

Not sure how some student athletes can look at good stuff like that and be so selfish as to decide not to participate because of greed. But I guess that's the world we live in now. One side is trying to make bowl games about education, integrity, and amateurism and the other is just concerned with money.
To be clear, I don't blame the "Student" athletes. I blame the so-called adults who make these rule$ and have made college football all about money . . . for them$elve$. Blaming the kids is like a parent leaving the cookies out on the counter and then blaming the kid for eating them.

How about this . . . no college football coach can earn more than the university President. I mean, since the purpose of the university is allegedly education, and not to sponsor a football team.

View attachment 47997

View attachment 47998

Are they contractually obligated to participate in these extracurriculars upon accepting the bowl invite or are these all voluntary?

Should be pretty clear now why players SHOULD opt out of meaningless bowl games if they’re entering the draft

Should be pretty clear now why players SHOULD opt out of meaningless bowl games if they’re entering the draft

At what point have games become meaningless? When you are out of the national title picture? If so, a highly regarded player should quit no later than after the team’s second loss each season. Why is playing Baylor in the Sugar Bowl meaningless, but Ole Miss versus Liberty, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State meaningful?

Or, should the player opt out as soon as the NFL has established the likelihood of their being drafted? If so, most five stars should never play a down of college football?

The value of college football either exists or it doesn’t. It should not be based solely on being a minor league for the NFL. Ole Miss’s first trip to the Sugar Bowl since the 1969 season is more meaningful than their game with Liberty after the Auburn loss removed them from playoff consideration.

Back