What to do about opt-outs?

At what point have games become meaningless? When you are out of the national title picture? If so, a highly regarded player should quit no later than after the team’s second loss each season. Why is playing Baylor in the Sugar Bowl meaningless, but Ole Miss versus Liberty, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State meaningful?

Or, should the player opt out as soon as the NFL has established the likelihood of their being drafted? If so, most five stars should never play a down of college football?

The value of college football either exists or it doesn’t. It should not be based solely on being a minor league for the NFL. Ole Miss’s first trip to the Sugar Bowl since the 1969 season is more meaningful than their game with Liberty after the Auburn loss removed them from playoff consideration.
It’s just bowl games dude. The Ole Miss kid probably cost himself millions of dollars by playing.

Is there a list of the players who have hurt their stock playing in a bowl game? It’s got to be long or notable the way people talk/act.

At what point have games become meaningless? When you are out of the national title picture? If so, a highly regarded player should quit no later than after the team’s second loss each season. Why is playing Baylor in the Sugar Bowl meaningless, but Ole Miss versus Liberty, Texas A&M, Vanderbilt and Mississippi State meaningful?

Or, should the player opt out as soon as the NFL has established the likelihood of their being drafted? If so, most five stars should never play a down of college football?

The value of college football either exists or it doesn’t. It should not be based solely on being a minor league for the NFL. Ole Miss’s first trip to the Sugar Bowl since the 1969 season is more meaningful than their game with Liberty after the Auburn loss removed them from playoff consideration.

The value of college football certainly exists. It's a billion dollar business, just like the NFL. It's only natural that the players want to get into the billion dollar business where they are allowed to be paid their fair market value as soon as possible, as opposed to the business where they have to play for an education that has no relevancy to their very lucrative future profession.

I do believe that we will eventually see players opt out even before bowl games. The more CFB coaches and administrators very publicly chase money by breaking up conferences, stopping historic rivalries, abandoning their players before bowl games, etc., the tougher it will be to convince top players to risk even the smallest amount of injury in pursuit of the non-monetary value of CFB like winning a Sugar Bowl.

Last edited:
Is there a list of the players who have hurt their stock playing in a bowl game? It’s got to be long or notable the way people talk/act.
The first one I remember was Melvin Bratton from The U who blew out his knee in the 1988 Orange Bowl. Literally cost him millions.

And of course, there's Johnny Utah, the star Ohio State QB whose leg got bent sideways in the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl against USC.

The first one I remember was Melvin Bratton from The U who blew out his knee in the 1988 Orange Bowl. Literally cost him millions.

And of course, there's Johnny Utah, the star Ohio State QB whose leg got bent sideways in the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl against USC.
Johnny Utah what a great name, he should of had his own western tv show.

Demanding players to repay their entire scholarships to sit a bowl game is medieval type punishment and not reasonable.

The answer to this seems that if players want to opt out they can and there's not much you can do about it. So go ahead and expand the FBS playoffs to mimic the FCS playoffs and let any bowls that want to take watered down teams go ahead and do that. The bowl should be allowed to offer a stipend with insurance policy to the stars to incent them to appear and play. Bowls are a joke now and have been for the past 20 years.

A lot of people complaining about the state of college football are probably the same ones who were in favor of the NIL and the whole "pay the players" movement. Now maybe that everyone will see that reality we can realize it was a bad idea and go back to the way things were?
You really think there’s a lot of overlap between those two groups? I think the vinn diagram would look like a pair of tits

Seems like there are a lot more opt-outs this year, to the detriment of quality football.

What could/should be done to cut down on the opt outs? Seems like if you decide you’re done playing, the team ought to be done with you - no bowl trip, scholarship pulled, GTFO.

Maybe someday we’ll get back to the point where players play for an education and for their team and not just as an NFL apprenticeship.

JRjr
Players do whatever the hell they want to now, that's the new normal, deal with it and try to enjoy the game or gtfo is the answer to your question.

Why is it called "opting out" rather than "quitting the team"? People quit jobs (and schools and teams) all the time and it should be handled just like that. Clean out your locker and good luck to you in the future, but you are no longer part of the team and entitled to any of the rights, privileges, and honors thereunto appertaining. No standing on the sidelines with your former teammates. Buy a ticket if you want to attend the game.

Why is it called "opting out" rather than "quitting the team"? People quit jobs (and schools and teams) all the time and it should be handled just like that. Clean out your locker and good luck to you in the future, but you are no longer part of the team and entitled to any of the rights, privileges, and honors thereunto appertaining. No standing on the sidelines with your former teammates. Buy a ticket if you want to attend the game.

Most of the time when people quit jobs they stick around for at least two weeks, if not longer, with the employee staying on to help transfer knowledge to others but not really doing his main job anymore. At least that's how it's been in my experience, both when I've quit and when I've seen others quit.

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone quit and be told they're immediately not part of the team and shouldn't be in the building with their now-former teammates the next day.

Last edited:
Most of the time when people quit jobs they stick around for at least two weeks, if not longer, with the employee staying on to help transfer knowledge to others but not really doing his main job anymore. At least that's how it's been in my experience, both when I've quit and when I've seen others quit.

I'm not sure I've ever seen someone quit and be told they're immediately not part of the team and shouldn't be in the building with their now-former teammates the next day.

OK, maybe my analogy to quitting a job was off the mark. How is it handled when a player quits the team during spring or fall practice? Do they hang around for a few weeks? Honest question since I do not know.

If so, a highly regarded player should quit no later than after the team’s second loss each season.
Didn’t the Houston QB do exactly that a few years back?

Edit: yes, in 2019 Houston lost their 4th game to start 1-3. D’Eriq King sat out the rest of the season and transferred to Miami.

Didn’t the Houston QB do exactly that a few years back?

Edit: yes, in 2019 Houston lost their 4th game to start 1-3. D’Eriq King sat out the rest of the season and transferred to Miami.

Yeah. Met with Holgorsen and they agreed to save his redshirt season, tanking the rest of the year in the process. Then he gave Houston the middle finger and dipped out

Yeah. Met with Holgorsen and they agreed to save his redshirt season, tanking the rest of the year in the process. Then he gave Houston the middle finger and dipped out

And Holgorsen still won 4 games that season *looks at Geoff Collins*

Which is why you’ll see opt outs becoming the norm during the regular season. Heck, if I were Gibbs dad he wouldn’t be playing next season at all. He would have already signed with an agent, had deals in place so he could spend his 3rd year training and not destroying his body in a corrupt sport system so fat cats can get fatter.

College football for pro prospects is a tryout. Once you show you got it there is no reason to stick around.
I do believe that if you quit against your big rival at the end of the year, for example, you could hurt your draft status in the NFL. However “opting out” is a business decision acceptable to the NFL. Fine line there but we will see lots more opt outs now.

To be clear, I don't blame the "Student" athletes. I blame the so-called adults who make these rule$ and have made college football all about money . . . for them$elve$. Blaming the kids is like a parent leaving the cookies out on the counter and then blaming the kid for eating them.

How about this . . . no college football coach can earn more than the university President. I mean, since the purpose of the university is allegedly education, and not to sponsor a football team.
LOL, then the coaches will all sign NIL deals to get their income level back up.

Demanding players to repay their entire scholarships to sit a bowl game is medieval type punishment and not reasonable.

The answer to this seems that if players want to opt out they can and there's not much you can do about it. So go ahead and expand the FBS playoffs to mimic the FCS playoffs and let any bowls that want to take watered down teams go ahead and do that. The bowl should be allowed to offer a stipend with insurance policy to the stars to incent them to appear and play. Bowls are a joke now and have been for the past 20 years.
There is a contract between player and school. If the player has a semester left and they opt out, let them pay their way.
None of this will happen by the way.

Back