When will we see James Graham play?

He needs a few series just to keep his interest.

For Bowling Green, Taquon shouldn't start anyway if that toe is still bothering him. If we can't beat BowGree with TO and JG then hurt, non-pitch reading TM ain't gonna help.

Wasn’t aware they used player likeness and names in NCAA games now.. wow that’s a suit waiting to happen.. or happened idk

Wasn’t aware they used player likeness and names in NCAA games now.. wow that’s a suit waiting to happen.. or happened idk
They don't even make the game any more. I believe you can download rosters or create players and keep going though. EA is out of it.

TQM fumbled 4 times against Clemson (6 on the season) and was 1/6 passing. Maybe sitting out a game will help him straighten out some mental issues. For Bowling Green, I don't think TO is a dropoff at QB, and this might be a good opportunity to get JG some experience.

Isn't Graham one play from being the back up or am I forgetting somebody? Seems like cpj would want him to have some real game experience just in case, especially with the four game rule.

I'm all for sitting Marshall and letting Oliver play the first half and Graham the second (assuming this will actually be an easy game). That being said, if Marshall is still the main guy, he could use the practice.

I also think that sometimes, the player you see in practice doesn't carry over to games. Cpj has said that Marshall can throw in practice. For some reason, that doesn't seem to happen in games. From what I've heard about Oliver in practice and in high school is that he's a fighter. He might not look as good in practice but he may have that Nesbitt quality where in game time he puts the team on his back and leads them to a win. I feel like how they perform in real games is more important than how good they play in practice so I would want to see all three play when it counts and judge them by that. Of course, I print shirts for a living and cpj has coached football for 40 years so he's probably more qualified to make that call.

Isn't Graham one play from being the back up or am I forgetting somebody? Seems like cpj would want him to have some real game experience just in case, especially with the four game rule.

I'm all for sitting Marshall and letting Oliver play the first half and Graham the second (assuming this will actually be an easy game). That being said, if Marshall is still the main guy, he could use the practice.

His problem isnt practice, his problem is mental. He wins the starting job in practice every week because he's good and then something happens to him during game time when the pressure mounts.

Honestly if we scored a touchdown on our first drive against Clemson and the defense held them like they did on their first drive, we might have seen a different outcome. We might have still lost the game because Clemson is loaded with talent but maybe we would have seen a team that fought till the end. That's really what I want to see. I dont see that right now.

And when you got a quarterback who says oh no im good with the non-contact jersey during fall camp, we should have seen the writing on the wall.

I was disappointed we tried the FG early against Clemson. 3 points was going to be meaningless. Plus, out chances of hitting a FG nowadays are slim to none. We ate lucky if we hit the XP

I also think that sometimes, the player you see in practice doesn't carry over to games. Cpj has said that Marshall can throw in practice. For some reason, that doesn't seem to happen in games. From what I've heard about Oliver in practice and in high school is that he's a fighter. He might not look as good in practice but he may have that Nesbitt quality where in game time he puts the team on his back and leads them to a win. I feel like how they perform in real games is more important than how good they play in practice so I would want to see all three play when it counts and judge them by that. Of course, I print shirts for a living and cpj has coached football for 40 years so he's probably more qualified to make that call.

I need to talk to you about some tshirts I want made for one of the upcoming tailgates.

I don't see Paul playing James Graham even next year because there will be two other quarterbacks that have more experience than him. That's all that matters for CPJ. If Vad Lee hadn't transferred he would have played him and moved Justin Thomas to another position in 2014. That's what he's going to do with Graham.
Cremins used to take heat for playing players that were obviously not as good as some younger players. His defense was that if he had made a commitment to a recruit with respect to his playing time, then he had to honor that. In so doing he felt he maintained his credibility with all his players and with future recruits. I accept that. I don't think that is the case with James Graham or Paul Johnson, however.

Don't worry, it's not. JT was splitting normal snaps with Vad for much of the 2013 season.
And Vad was taking normal reps from Tevin in 2012. Maybe I'm forgetting something, so please point out if we've ever had a quality backup QB that didn't get meaningful snaps or even an opportunity to challenge the starter. The problem is that we generally haven't had competent backups (which is not just a GT problem with the current transfer trend).

His problem isnt practice, his problem is mental. He wins the starting job in practice every week because he's good and then something happens to him during game time when the pressure mounts.

Honestly if we scored a touchdown on our first drive against Clemson and the defense held them like they did on their first drive, we might have seen a different outcome. We might have still lost the game because Clemson is loaded with talent but maybe we would have seen a team that fought till the end. That's really what I want to see. I dont see that right now.

And when you got a quarterback who says oh no im good with the non-contact jersey during fall camp, we should have seen the writing on the wall.

I agree. He is mental and weak. HE WALKED OFF THE FIELD, TOOK HIMSELF OUT OF THE GAME. I guess he wanted to lay down and bleed on the side line until he could get back up to fight some more.

Did anyone happen to catch the enormous pressure Clemson put on Marshall? Geez no one can complete passes with that kind of traffic around you. PJ needs to start swallowing his pride and line the QB up in shot gun in obvious passing situations. At least give the kid a chance to look downfield!

Why are QB's a protected species? A lot of coaches (not just CPJ) refuse to make a change. Gailey was the same way with Reggie Ball. Changes are made weekly at every other position.

Also, game performance should trump practice performance every time.

Did anyone happen to catch the enormous pressure Clemson put on Marshall? Geez no one can complete passes with that kind of traffic around you. PJ needs to start swallowing his pride and line the QB up in shot gun in obvious passing situations. At least give the kid a chance to look downfield!
I think this is a valid criticism. Even Navy runs from the shotgun at times:

I would love to know what the limitations are for this.

Uhm if the kids would execute the way Paul wants them to do we’d get 50 yards a play on passing downs.

There's not enough time to practice both. That's actually been an excuse. No better example of what you describe along with absolutely horrible clock management then the home game with VT when Vad was QB.

Back