When will we see James Graham play?

I also think that sometimes, the player you see in practice doesn't carry over to games. Cpj has said that Marshall can throw in practice. ...
Don't fall for that. What you see in Marshall's arm on Saturday is exactly what PJ sees M-F.

"How about Benson, coach?"

"He's fine."

Don't fall for that. What you see in Marshall's arm on Saturday is exactly what PJ sees M-F.

"How about Benson, coach?"

"He's fine."
I was not saying he can throw. My point was that I don't care how good he throws in practice if he can't do it in a game it doesn't matter. Oliver may suck in practice but might step it up in games. Some players play better when it counts.

I agree with whoever it was that said earlier in this thread that it was mental. Maybe in practice he's not worried about getting hit or he just rushes everything when it's live action. I don't know, but if he can't figure it out, we need to try someone else. I like Marshall. He runs hard and doesn't seem scared running but somethings got to give.

And Vad was taking normal reps from Tevin in 2012. Maybe I'm forgetting something, so please point out if we've ever had a quality backup QB that didn't get meaningful snaps or even an opportunity to challenge the starter. The problem is that we generally haven't had competent backups (which is not just a GT problem with the current transfer trend).
I'd say Tim Byerly or Matthew Jordan. I know Tim was the touchdown vulture on goal line situations, but he was clearly the backup. With that in mind, I always had full confidence in his abilities if I saw him go in in other situations. For Jordan in 2016, he was in a similar situation. To be honest, I've lost the point of this thread. Are we talking about getting James Graham/Tobias Oliver more snaps?

I agree with whoever it was that said earlier in this thread that it was mental. Maybe in practice he's not worried about getting hit or he just rushes everything when it's live action. I don't know, but if he can't figure it out, we need to try someone else. I like Marshall. He runs hard and doesn't seem scared running but somethings got to give.
Or maybe it's because he's competing against our 2nd string defense in practice. Hell, even the ones aren't all that great at defending the pass.

Uhm if the kids would execute the way Paul wants them to do we’d get 50 yards a play on passing downs.
ISWYDT

It seems CPJ would rather let the QB get pressured/sacked when we need to pass and then blame the line rather than attempt to MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT to a quicker, shorter passing game.

I'd say Tim Byerly or Matthew Jordan. I know Tim was the touchdown vulture on goal line situations, but he was clearly the backup. With that in mind, I always had full confidence in his abilities if I saw him go in in other situations. For Jordan in 2016, he was in a similar situation. To be honest, I've lost the point of this thread. Are we talking about getting James Graham/Tobias Oliver more snaps?
I think that's the point of the thread, yes. Some people are saying that CPJ never lets the backup play (as if other coaches do). I'm saying that CPJ gives his backups meaningful snaps when they deserve them. Jordan and especially Byerly were decent players, but both were stuck behind Justin Thomas who was clearly better. That said, I think we're reaching a point where Oliver (and maybe even Graham) has to get on the field more. Even if Marshall is the man in practice, it's not showing in games.

ISWYDT

It seems CPJ would rather let the QB get pressured/sacked when we need to pass and then blame the line rather than attempt to MAKE AN ADJUSTMENT to a quicker, shorter passing game.
Here we go again. What an asshole, he would rather lose games, lose his job, and lose millions of dollars than change his precious offense.

Here we go again. What an asshole, he would rather lose games, lose his job, and lose millions of dollars than change his precious offense.
That was the beauty of Fridge. He was so good at finding the weaknesses of another team and adjusting accordingly - even if that meant a big change in gameplan. I believe those GOL/Fridge years we were one of the top scoring teams in the NCAA, IIRC, at 40+ points per game.

I think that's the point of the thread, yes. Some people are saying that CPJ never lets the backup play (as if other coaches do). I'm saying that CPJ gives his backups meaningful snaps when they deserve them. Jordan and especially Byerly were decent players, but both were stuck behind Justin Thomas who was clearly better. That said, I think we're reaching a point where Oliver (and maybe even Graham) has to get on the field more. Even if Marshall is the man in practice, it's not showing in games.
I can agree with that. I'm not sure putting James Graham in soon would necessarily be good, but I think he should get his 4 games in this season. As for Oliver, I'd like to see more of him, but CPJ has said TO has had trouble identifying fronts and getting us into the right plays.

ISWYDT

But in all seriousness, I think there are several reasons we don't have a short passing game.

1) We don't have an efficient QB. When a short pass is only a 50% proposition at best, you might as well run it.

2) When the opponent loads the box, it makes no sense to throw it into those numbers, especially in the middle of the field. The open spots are downfield and near the sidelines.

3) We have a short QB that can't see over the line.

He should quit saying he needs to coach better and actually ööööing coach better.
He is doing his dead level best. Do you think he is trying to make his team look inept and silly? He can't do any better. He has a ceiling and this is it.

There's not enough time to practice both. That's actually been an excuse. No better example of what you describe along with absolutely horrible clock management then the home game with VT when Vad was QB.
You need to know how to structure practice. 100 other programs practice more than on quarterback. I don't buy that Georgia Tech can't do as well as Tulane or Indiana.

If PJ does not get Graham in as QB in the 4 games he is admitting he will not be here after '19- and maybe before.We need to see if the guy can play .

Back