Where are all the FOCers?

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Originally posted by ylojk8:
[qb]i'm not qualified to demand coaching changes.

i enjoy our successes and bemoan our losses. i root for Tech. it's not my job to demand coaching changes.

you claim that gailey is over his head with his present job .. if i'll be demanding a coaching change .. i'll be doing the same thing .. being over my head.
--------------------------------------------------
We have certainly found out something, ylo... when you were running around a couple months ago hurling insults at everyone who dare criticize Gailey... THAT is when you were in over your head... you were attacking people who know football... Sit on the sidelines and let the winners lead the way, no sense digging the ditch any deeper...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">HAHAAH .. welcome to the big league. you know football huh? where do you coach? what is your record? who did you recruit?

LMAO!!

i do sit on the sidelines .. that is all i can do. but that is where you are too ..

HAHAHAHAHAHA! thanks for the laugh beebad.

cummon you can do better than that? this is your moment in glory .. this is what you have been waiting for .. take better shots.

Thanx for the welcome.. it will be fun busting your chops without the gestapo lurking in the shadows waiting to flip the switch on the trap door..

I've coached from the comfort of my recliner for quite some time now and am not undefeated but dang close!

Once I figure out how to work this board you will get all you can handle.. Until then you are on notice..

Aho, with regard to the beards and bobs, I was shocked when I first saw them unload at Yellow Jacket Alley. Their appearance and demeanor had fallen from previous years. Not just my assessment, but others who have noted it as well.

As for assessing the situation for a year, this is exactly the reason Gailey, supposedly being an experienced coach, was not supposed to have to do. He didn't exactly inherit something totally broken and said the team should "continue" it's winning ways. His words, not mine.

Look at the coaches who came into programs and won big - Friedgen, even Tommy Bowden for goodness sakes. Within the ACC, look at Amato and even Grobe and what he took over at Wake, and yet we don't see the backpeddling we are experiencing.

His learning curve is taking a long time. Troy State I doubt you even have to go to class, and can probably get in by writing your name and giving a pulse. The NFL you basically call your plays and let drafted talent do it's thing. As each month goes on it gets more and more evident that motivation and discipline are lacking.

It's obvious everyone knows where I stand and by the way - Welcome Beebad (Ticanes!)!!!

As I said in a post yesterday, I will not condemn those who like him, but give respect to those who don't!! We are all fans and it's only fair that we are all given that opportunity to feel whatever way we want. I'm sick over all of this for my team - never for the coach ... it's his job as the leader of his team to make sure all bases are covered. This is not an easy job and it's not for the faint hearted. Tech demands much from its athletes academically/athletically) - in turn it has to demand even more so from its head coach(s), it's definitely not all x's and o's here and the job is made that more difficult because of what GT demands academically. So that's why this happening is a very disconcerting!! All we hear at Tech is academic standards and being on top of things.

Who was it some time ago that said where responsiblity lies - from the top down. He is the captain of the ship and the ship is way off course. It's been off course since he came on board.

Let me remind everyone of "his comments" ... "I didn't want to go to a school who is rebuilding, I wanted a job with a school who's consistently been in the Top 25." He didn't want to take over anybody's mess. HIS COMMENTS!

Also, I never forget this and almost vomited when I heard it ... the night we played Maryland, Corso and the guys interviewed him before the game and asked him what he thought of coaching Div. 1 football since he came to Tech, "I didn't realize how much work was involved with all the academic stuff, NCAA rules and regulations, even the eating of food by the team on trips, and so on, and so on. I have the Maryland tape and I would be more the happy for anyone to listen to this comment.

I was flabergasted that even if he thought that, why the heck would he say it to someone who's going to quote him on national TV!! I believed when he made his comments about wanting to go to a Top 25 program, it laid the foundation in my thinking of not wanting to work hard and lack of organizational skills and being unprepared for what was to come. There were a lot of things like this that made me question his ability in all aspects of the coaching game.

Then I saw the results on the field!! A team in my 29 years of following GT so undisciplined, so unprepared, so non-focused. Even when they got off the buses at YJA, I did NOT see the fire in their eyes like previous years. Perception can be reality and I knew from all my years of following this team - things were not like the past.

I want this ship righted like everyone else here and our AD and everyone else associated with the athletic programs better grab a hold soon or we're going to be looking at a 5-6 year rebuilding program again! Quite honestly, this saddens me no end - I'm not an ancient person but I don't want to see positive things happening here when they wheel me into BDS from the home for my yearly (1) game visit!!!

And it's funny how everyone forgets how he came to be Tech's coach. Dave Braine was doing his search through the country and it stopped point blank when George Morris - Tech's All American from the 50's got a call from Daryl Dickey - Tenn. current AD that Tech should look at Chan. Morris contacted Braine and the national search completely stopped. It was like - one call from an All-American alumnus was all that was needed, how disappointing - that was wrong.

And let me just say one last thing ... I have spent a long time HR Manager who prides herself on my success for hiring very successful managers and staff. For what I know about the demands as a Tech coach - I would have looked harder and stronger for the right candidate, at least with prerequisites that I believe it would take to fill the position and its many demands with coaching abilities.

If he is kept and turns this program around, I will be happy but I won't go back and say I take everything back ... this is what I have seen and that perception only changes when he changes how he does things and we win.

It's obvious everyone knows where I stand and by the way - Welcome Beebad (Ticanes!)!!!

As I said in a post yesterday, I will not condemn those who like him, but give respect to those who don't!! We are all fans and it's only fair that we are all given that opportunity to feel whatever way we want. I'm sick over all of this for my team - never for the coach ... it's his job as the leader of his team to make sure all bases are covered. This is not an easy job and it's not for the faint hearted. Tech demands much from its athletes academically/athletically) - in turn it has to demand even more so from its head coach(s), it's definitely not all x's and o's here and the job is made that more difficult because of what GT demands academically. So that's why this happening is a very disconcerting!! All we hear at Tech is academic standards and being on top of things.

Who was it some time ago that said where responsiblity lies - from the top down. He is the captain of the ship and the ship is way off course. It's been off course since he came on board.

Let me remind everyone of "his comments" ... "I didn't want to go to a school who is rebuilding, I wanted a job with a school who's consistently been in the Top 25." He didn't want to take over anybody's mess. HIS COMMENTS!

Also, I never forget this and almost vomited when I heard it ... the night we played Maryland, Corso and the guys interviewed him before the game and asked him what he thought of coaching Div. 1 football since he came to Tech, "I didn't realize how much work was involved with all the academic stuff, NCAA rules and regulations, even the eating of food by the team on trips, and so on, and so on. I have the Maryland tape and I would be more the happy for anyone to listen to this comment.

I was flabergasted that even if he thought that, why the heck would he say it to someone who's going to quote him on national TV!! I believed when he made his comments about wanting to go to a Top 25 program, it laid the foundation in my thinking of not wanting to work hard and lack of organizational skills and being unprepared for what was to come. There were a lot of things like this that made me question his ability in all aspects of the coaching game.

Then I saw the results on the field!! A team in my 29 years of following GT so undisciplined, so unprepared, so non-focused. Even when they got off the buses at YJA, I did NOT see the fire in their eyes like previous years. Perception can be reality and I knew from all my years of falling this team - things were not like the past.

I want this ship righted like everyone else here and our AD and everyone else associated with the athletic programs better grab a hold soon or we're going to be looking at a 5-6 year rebuilding program again! Quite honestly, this saddens me no end - I'm not an ancient person but I don't want to see positive things happening here when they wheel me into BDS from the home for my yearly (1) game visit!!!

And it's funny how everyone forgets how he came to be Tech's coach. Dave Braine was doing his search through the country and it stopped point blank when George Morris - Tech's All American from the 50's got a call from Daryl Dickey - Tenn. current AD that Tech should look at Chan. Morris contacted Braine and the national search completely stopped. It was like - one call from an All-American alumnus was all that was needed, how disappointing - that was wrong.

And let me just say one last thing ... as a long time HR Manager who prides herself on my success for hiring very successful managers and staff - for what I know about the demands as a Tech coach - I would have looked harder and stronger for the right candidate, at least with prerequisites that I believe it would take to fill the position and its many demands.

If he is kept and turns this program around, I will be happy but I won't go back and say I take everything back ... this is what I have seen and that perception only changes when he changes how he does things and we win.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Personally I'm waiting for someone to tell me exactly what's going on. Once I have an idea of what happened and why then I'll decide what I think. If I decide that it's something that's Chan's fault then I'll let you know. Good enough for your BDG? I will say that what is being posted looks bad for the entire program, Braine, Chan, O'Leary, the players and the academic support system.

The thought that keeps creeping into my head however is this..." is this the first year these guys have been expected to actually do their school work? Have they been protected up til now and suddenly were expected to do the work of real students?" If it's a problem of discipline and they have been cutting classes and study hall then Chan has to answer for that. If we've been giving athletes a pass up til now and have stopped then we have a whole lot bigger problem. And it's not just with the AA.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NCJ: In reference to your comment about the first year to have to do work ... as a person who went out with a Tech football player - believe me, they always had to do the work or they were gone! I heard more complaints on the demanding aspects of football and school in my 4 years of dating him. He was given absolutely no slack, he was just like any other student.

Needless-to-say, he graduated and now has his Masters from Tech and he still says the demand was tough but worked out for him in the long run. He told me last night there were many times he was on academic warning but he pulled through. He said everybody on Tech's teams - all sports have to be accountable or they are gone.

It bothers me to see some font call out ylojk8 and others while we are in the midst of a crisis.
Everyone on this board know that I have not been an advocate of Chan but it just happens that he is our coach and for our sake I hope he succeeds.
After Chan made those staff changes it appeared to me that he was trying to get a better product on the sideline to guide these young men and my response to that was I would withhold judgment until the results started coming in before criticizing him. My personal feelings are that Chan has a very steep hill to climb but let's all give him a chance to climb it before we unload on him. It's all right for ylojkt8 and others to express support but can't we allow them to express their support without calling them out? I said in previous posts that I believed that there would be an overwhelming concensus on Chan at the end of next season and I still think that. But let's all stay together as true Tech men and women
because I have a feeling we are going to need to lean on one another for the next couple of years at least.

Why not call out the Academic Support Staff and Carole Moore. I know the philosophy changed after GOL left, and the way academics have been approached internally.

MsTechAnalysis, I went to class with alot of players back in the 70s so I know they have always had to do their class work. My comment was aimed more at the current players. I'm not really accusing anybody of anything, it just seems strange to me that suddenly a bunch of guys are in academic difficulty. Maybe they always have been but we just didn't know it?

My main point is that many on here are reacting to hearsay and demanding Chan's head. Maybe he did something to cause this and should go, I don't know. But the bottom line right now is we don't know what's going on. And it seems that as Tech fans we should find out first before we start blowing up our own program.

What if we find out 2 players are on probation and 8 are on warning and need to take one class in summer school? Does that change things? Is that different from past years? I don't know that either but I can't stand overreactions to minimal information. As a HR Manager you know how much difference there often is between the original story and the truth.

I'm right here.

All we have is rumors at the moment. People don't
flunk straight out of Tech. We know that to be a
fact. Players on the list were in Spring Practice.
We know that for a fact.

If the coaching staff let at risk players still
participate in Spring practice then we have a
problem. We know that for a fact...

Until something solid comes out I'm not going to
get into a flame war over rumors that some radio
intern pulled off an internet website.

A good observation, General Wood. It is obvious that something has changed on the hill despite their denials. These changes are not conducive to
assisting our coaches in terms of wins and losses.
There should be some way to broaden our curriculum
without prostituting the quality of a degree from Tech.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
MsTechAnalysis, I went to class with alot of players back in the 70s so I know they have always had to do their class work. My comment was aimed more at the current players. I'm not really accusing anybody of anything, it just seems strange to me that suddenly a bunch of guys are in academic difficulty. Maybe they always have been but we just didn't know it?

My main point is that many on here are reacting to hearsay and demanding Chan's head. Maybe he did something to cause this and should go, I don't know. But the bottom line right now is we don't know what's going on. And it seems that as Tech fans we should find out first before we start blowing up our own program.

What if we find out 2 players are on probation and 8 are on warning and need to take one class in summer school? Does that change things? Is that different from past years? I don't know that either but I can't stand overreactions to minimal information. As a HR Manager you know how much difference there often is between the original story and the truth.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">NCJ: I agree on finding out from the horse's mouth - my statement was just to say what I knew from former players they were not cut any slack. As late as 1988 I knew these standards to be true and from conversation with the ones I know as lettermen, nothing has changed in this area.

Like I said in a post yesterday, if indeed this is not true ... someone facilitated a TERRIBLE HOAX and should be accountable if that's the case.
Always look forward to your insight.

MsTechAnalysis, as stated previously, you have your opinions, and they are respected as such, but are also open for debate.

"It is the coaches job to make sure all bases are covered". That is a true statement, but you cannot prove he does not have the bases covered.

There may be little he can do with many of the present players other than recruit more qualified players in the future. He has already assessed that point and has stated his objective is to recruit nationally and in regions with better high school academics.

That sounds like he has his finger on the pulse of the situation for grades. However, it could take time. The school has already stated before he arrived that it would be more strict on grading.

"The ship is way off course". I don't know how far off course, but it did not start with Gailey. We blew the best chance of winning big in O'Leary's last year with a better home schedule and better athletes.

It appears the ship went off course as soon as Friegden left, then BOB stayed after O'Leary quit. Now Gailey has to have a chance to steer it back on the right path. It is proper to be aware that takes time.

"Its been off course since he came on board". It was off course before he came on board. All of it is not his fault. We will see this year if the poor offense and quarterback play of last year was Gailey's fault or BOB's fault.

"It was like one call from an All-American alumnus was all that was needed, how disappointing, that was wrong". You are grasping at straws again.

As I stated in other posts, Gailey had the best credentials of any coach who has ever been hired at Tech. He was hired on his credentials and every person contacted that knew him gave him great accolades. So it is misrepresenting facts to say he was hired without any real thought from Braine or the committee.

If you were looking for some one to run your business, would you take the recommendation of the Tech Committee and the Tech AD and their research into the matter over the opinion of one lady who happened to go out with a football player. Of course you would.

So the decision to hire Gailey was no fly-by-night affair. The credentials were there and the accolades from all contacted were very favorable.

Now, I am not saying with certainty that Gailey will succeed, because the best searches are not 100%. I will state with authority that most companies would have taken Gailey with his credentials in his business and the accolades that followed from all who knew his work.

Even the one guy who had fired him, Jones of the Cowboys, admitted he made a mistake and should have kept him. And, to go along with his heavy credentials, he is advertised by all who know him to have extremely high morals.

I is really insignificant if you have hired and fired personnel, it does not make you a better predictor of success or failure than the Committee that hired Gailey.

Now, your opinion is fine, but it does not mean it is true. It is no better than my or any other board members opinion, and is subject to debate and being rebuffed.

You stated there was no fire in the eyes of the players as they got off the bus. My, how observant! I am glad you have this ability to see these things.

Could you tell if it was Gailey's fault there was no fire, or that it was a morale problem because the players were siding with BOB and upset because Mac did not get the job?

How could you discern the intent of their thoughts and know it was because Gailey did not know how to run the program.

Now, all of these items I have debated are warranted at this time, because no one has proof, but only their gut feelings. No one can produce facts at this time. After this season, we all may come to the conclusion Gailey should go. At this time he has not had the opportunity to prove his worth or worthlessness.

We do not know the outcome of this year. We might be presently surprised. There is one thing I do know, the only way he should be fired at this time is through normal procedures.

As in any venture, if those in authority investigated and found complete negligence on his part, it would be appropriate. Other than this, we have to play the hand and see how it comes out.

Sorry, MsTechAnalysis, ladies are my favorite people, but you are not exempt from my views on this board. However, I am still glad to see your views and appreciate you expressing them.

wink.gif

Originally posted by ylojk8:
i'm not qualified to demand coaching changes.

i enjoy our successes and bemoan our losses. i root for Tech. it's not my job to demand coaching changes.

you claim that gailey is over his head with his present job .. if i'll be demanding a coaching change .. i'll be doing the same thing .. being over my head.

i'm not qualified .. i'm not privvy to inside facts (i don't have any moles) and MOST IMPORTANTLY .. i trust the people who are in a position to decide and act on such issues make such decisions keeping Tech's interest foremost and to their best capabilities.

if a coaching change is made .. i'll support the guy who comes in .. if it's not made .. i'll continue to support gailey.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good post - I'm glad guys like BDG aren't in charge. We would resemble a state university 65 miles to the east. You leave a moron like dooley in charge (even if he is just a figurehead) and you get what you deserve. Winning is important but winning while playing by the rules is why I'm a GT fan.

I disagree in your analysis of this hire and I stick by mine ... his hire was fly by night and you hit the nail on the head with that analogy. My going out with a Tech player has absolutely nothing to do with my feelings about this coach or Georgia Tech as a whole.

I did go out with one but not until I had been a season tix holder for some 12 years. I disagree with the ship sinking after Friedgen left. We lost a great offensive mind but I do not feel we lost what we had and the ability to continue the process. Everybody rails on Billy O'brien but he did a good job the year after and we were in every game. There is absolutely no comparison from the 2001 season competitively to the 2002 season.

As much as we were all looking forward to a Top 10 finish in 2001, I never once left BDS or any away game I went to that season feeling depressed and how the future looked. But my feelings changed dramatically with the hire of Chan!

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ahsoisee:
MsTechAnalysis, your last post under this heading summed it up for me regarding your views. You said it best, when you stated your non-support of Gailey from the beginning.

I have just slotted you in the same pigeon-hole with BeeWare, Bobby Dodds Ghost, and Father Wasp. Sorry, but I have to file these items somewhere and that is where you fit best from my view.

The only reason I mentioned your going out with a Tech player was your mention of it in the next subpost. You mentioned it like it had something to do with issue of Chan's situation.

At least we know where each other stands. I will continue to welcome and read your posts, but it is evident our views are 180% apart.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I will do the same. It's really too bad that because we have a different view that it has to be negative - I have never felt I needed to do that other then state my opinions.
So we move on.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Also, you categorizing people here is an injustice ... that's not in my realm of thought. I have been attacked for my feelings and have answered them without saying you belong in a certain category - it seems you have chosen this avenue because we don't agree. That's too bad because I can't imagine telling anyone they should be categorized and put here or there because I disagree with them! You've named posters who do not have an opinion like yours and yet you don't think you're attacking?????? Who's calling the kettle black?

And if you can remember in my post about a GT player ... I was referring to him and what he had to do academically to stay in school and was cut no slack. It never had a connotation to Chan. I answered NCJacket about requirements and doing their work. And to file these items??? What the heck is that - Stingtalk POLICE and you the captain???

And don't forget - I'm answering your attack, I didn't initiate it!! And by the way, I said I didn't like the hire in most of my posts but never said I wouldn't give him a chance ... he burned his own bridges - not me! I also said if he remained and could right the ship I'd support him but if he couldn't I wouldn't - go back and read all of them. This was in answer to who's "on the hot seat posting".

Please read carefully the next time!!

MsTechAnalysis, I did read the post correctly. You stated you never wanted Gailey from the beginning.

Father Wasp and Bobby Dodds Ghost have stated the same. Guess what, every time something comes up about Gailey, I can count on the three of you to all jump back on the bandwagon to get rid of him.

I am only stating what I have been reading from your posts. So, yes, I put you in the same category with them because all three of you react the same way.

That is no crime, but you and the two mentioned portrayed the characteristics, all I did was gather the data and file it under a category.

I also have BeeWare in that category, and there are a couple more, but they seldom post their thoughts on the subject.

The other few feeling that way have earned my respect. I remember who they are, but they rarely post their thoughts on the subject. The reason that earns my respect is they have posted their thoughts, but have not been trying to run him out on a rail.

I believe they are just playing the waiting game, which is the correct way. If he fails and cannot handle the job, it will show up and he will be gone. However, who wants to be part of a lynch mob and unjustly run someone out of a job that does not deserve that fate.

That is the reason I have stated I was not satisfied with the performance last year, but realize there were extenuating circumstances. I will remain fair and let him have a chance to succeed or hang his own self.

Let it be his doing and not mine.

wink.gif

Little help needed for those of us left out in the dark...

I get the jist of this thread, but what exactly is an "FOCer"?
wtf.gif

Back