Who can we beat on the rest of our schedule

johncu

Dodd-Like
Offer lists generally don't mean squat. How many of those offers were commitable? I'd wager less than 3/4.
I have no way of knowing, which is why I would prefer to go by recruiting ratings. I posted those earlier, and the goalposts got moved to P5 offers. So I posted those and the goalposts got moved again.

Other than the ACC writers that have underrated GT basically EVERY YEAR OF MY LIFE, every semi-objective measure says that we have talent comparable or better to every team we've played except Clemson.

I'm just saying that our players have talent. That's it. Not elite, but enough to beat almost everyone on our schedule. I get it - this is a rebuilding year. That's fine. But we shouldn't be getting embarrassed like this. And before someone throws out another dumbass CPJ comparison - don't. Yeah, Duke embarrassed us last year as well. But the difference is we slaughtered Louisville 66-31 before that game, and slaughtered VT 49-28 after it. See the difference? Everybody has terrible, humiliating games. We're having a season full of them.

Lastly, I'm not calling for anyone to be fired (even Patenaude). But criticism at this point is extremely fair.

GT 1950

Varsity Lurker
Alright @GT 1950 who has a better offense besides Clemson or the dwags?
Given the performance of the last two weeks on defense, it is hardly necessary to have an offense as good as Clemson or UGA to beat us right now. As much as anyone, I recognize that this is a work in progress but it should be acknowledged that there are few, very few, fan bases that will sit patiently through more than two seasons of fewer than two or three wins which is in realm of possibility here. Fixing offensive and defensive lines takes time. You can't just recruit a couple of four stars for each and call it a day. Right now this has all the earmarks of a restless fan base but hardly what has been seen at say, Miami, which had some guy get up a GoFundMe to hire a plane with a banner proclaiming "Fire Manny" before the game last week. Mercifully, the Canes won and the weather grounded the plane so there was no chance of murder and mayhem in the stands which is always a possibility at that place.

GTRules

You’re Mamma
What ööööing game were you watching? We looked like crap against the Citadel. We looked like crap against USF. We have looked like crap all season long. Unless that perfect storm was lazy coaching and lazy playing and an asshole sitting in the box with his feet up calling plays.

Tech deserved to lose to the Citadel. There wasn't a perfect storm or a bunch of unfortunate events.

But hIsToRiC TrAnSfOrMaTiOn. Our coaching this season is clown shoes L round.
You sure are a little bitch.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
What ööööing game were you watching? We looked like crap against the Citadel. We looked like crap against USF. We have looked like crap all season long. Unless that perfect storm was lazy coaching and lazy playing and an asshole sitting in the box with his feet up calling plays.

Tech deserved to lose to the Citadel. There wasn't a perfect storm or a bunch of unfortunate events.

But hIsToRiC TrAnSfOrMaTiOn. Our coaching this season is clown shoes L round.
Yes we looked like crap against Citadel and were not defending the option well, like many don't, but we were still there at the end with a chance to win it. Let's see what all influenced that game:

Minihan and Cooper both get hurt in the USF game. Minihan didn't play, Cooper does but is playing through injury. Scott Morgan gets hurt at some point during the week and does not dress. James Graham (who was going to start) gets hurt during the week and is in a walking boot on the sidelines. Jahaziel Lee breaks his leg during the game.

We had 3 different penalties after 3rd down stops that continued drives. No excuses for that, and for that I do put the blame on the coaches for not getting that handled but 2 of those calls were pretty weak.

Then you have the debacle at the end with the injury then the penalty and issue with clock running and have to call the timeout on a play where it looks like we likely score. Still not sure who granted the TO because you can clearly see on video the referee that CGC running to is shaking his head "no" to him while he is asking for the timeout because the play is starting.

Yes we played and coached like crap that game but it STILL took all of that for them to beat us. No we didn't look all that great against USF but we managed to win. If you can't see where the team has been improving every week then apparently you have zero understanding of football and I'm tired of coming down to your level of ignorance to argue with you and I'm done.

GTRules

You’re Mamma
Quality counter argument there. I’m sorry I don’t enjoy Georgia Tech being a ööööing dumpster fire. Good to know you’re fine with us being ööööing losers.
You keep posting but all we hear is “woof woof woof woof.”

jacket67

Dodd-Like
One of my favorite football seasons was my freshman year at Wake Forest. Every weekend there were parties or pig-pickins on football Saturdays. We had a great time with our friends in the stands and didn't care what happened on the field, because we expected to lose every game. Wake finished that season 1-10 but I enjoyed every minute of it. Sometimes it helps to focus on the simple pleasures, and just accept supporting a bad team. There is always next year.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I have no way of knowing, which is why I would prefer to go by recruiting ratings. I posted those earlier, and the goalposts got moved to P5 offers. So I posted those and the goalposts got moved again.

Other than the ACC writers that have underrated GT basically EVERY YEAR OF MY LIFE, every semi-objective measure says that we have talent comparable or better to every team we've played except Clemson.

I'm just saying that our players have talent. That's it. Not elite, but enough to beat almost everyone on our schedule. I get it - this is a rebuilding year. That's fine. But we shouldn't be getting embarrassed like this. And before someone throws out another dumbass CPJ comparison - don't. Yeah, Duke embarrassed us last year as well. But the difference is we slaughtered Louisville 66-31 before that game, and slaughtered VT 49-28 after it. See the difference? Everybody has terrible, humiliating games. We're having a season full of them.

Lastly, I'm not calling for anyone to be fired (even Patenaude). But criticism at this point is extremely fair.
I never said any of that about our recruits or moved goalposts. I just plainly stated the fact that not all offers are commitable. Every recruit is going to list all of the top offers they get, even if it's one that they received early on in recruiting then never heard anything else out of that school. I'm not saying that is the case with those listed, but it's typically that way for most every recruit everywhere except for the absolute top recruits (National top 100).

I do think we have talent AT SKILL POSITIONS that are comparable are better than most teams we face. But the lines of scrimmage are where we are severely lacking. We have some talent on the DL, but we are extremely inexperienced and have no depth. We are consistently playing 2 walk-ons at OL and that is unheard of at this level. But let's take that even further since you like to use recruiting rankings. I stole this from another site, but the stats are there. On Rivals, players are given a rating of 5.2-6.1. Those ratings correspond to a point value of 15-150, increasing 15 points for each rating increase. Rivals top 250 players also have bonus points but those weren't used in this data. It would only separate the elite teams even more. These charts show the total standard point number for OL and DL recruits for every school on our schedule this season, dating back to 2015 (recruits in that class could be r-SR's this year). If a school had more than 5 recruits in any given year on OL or DL, only the top 5 were used (teams had 6 recruits on either OL or DL only a couple of times). This also makes the total ratings a little closer overall.

Here is the chart for OL recruits only:

DL recruits only:

OL/DL sorted by average points/year.

Now, with these stats in perspective, let's also look at these other details: We graduated our 3 best DL last year and lost a SR possible NFL talent this year to tragedy. We graduated 2 OL last year, lost our best SR this year to transfer, and lost possibly the next 2 best to injury. We do not have a QB on the team that was recruited for this type of offense. I'm not saying our guys aren't talented and I certainly think that Graham is well capable of running this offense, and Lucas has the talent too if he can get past the game day jitters. But those guys have not been practicing any of that until this year. It's more than just making throws. It's reading defenses and seeing pressure, knowing where to attack and where the ball needs to go pre-snap. All of that takes time and will come. We have not had a TE in 10 years and while we do have a few that I think are servicable, they are having to help with blocking most of the time. Yeah I agree we've had some questionable play calling decisions, but it is extremely difficult to have any consistency at this point with all of the above. All of this is why no matter what our record is or what we look like, I'm giving the coaching staff a bye this year. They are ripping the band-aid off and getting as far along with the transition as they can as fast as they can and that is the right move in the long run. Sure we can put TO back there under center some and run some option stuff scattered in and have some better results than we do now, but that is not where they are trying to go with the program and that only sets the transition back further. Trust me, the coaches know that too.

Also, as far as UL and VPI games go from last year, UL was a dumpster fire that went 2-10 last year, and VPI shouldn't have made a bowl. UVA blew their game against them which would've given VPI a losing season no matter what, but after they won still had to schedule a last minute game with Marshall to become bowl eligible. They don't look like they are improving much on that this year yet.

johncu

Dodd-Like
I never said any of that about our recruits or moved goalposts. I just plainly stated the fact that not all offers are commitable. Every recruit is going to list all of the top offers they get, even if it's one that they received early on in recruiting then never heard anything else out of that school. I'm not saying that is the case with those listed, but it's typically that way for most every recruit everywhere except for the absolute top recruits (National top 100).

I do think we have talent AT SKILL POSITIONS that are comparable are better than most teams we face. But the lines of scrimmage are where we are severely lacking. We have some talent on the DL, but we are extremely inexperienced and have no depth. We are consistently playing 2 walk-ons at OL and that is unheard of at this level. But let's take that even further since you like to use recruiting rankings. I stole this from another site, but the stats are there. On Rivals, players are given a rating of 5.2-6.1. Those ratings correspond to a point value of 15-150, increasing 15 points for each rating increase. Rivals top 250 players also have bonus points but those weren't used in this data. It would only separate the elite teams even more. These charts show the total standard point number for OL and DL recruits for every school on our schedule this season, dating back to 2015 (recruits in that class could be r-SR's this year). If a school had more than 5 recruits in any given year on OL or DL, only the top 5 were used (teams had 6 recruits on either OL or DL only a couple of times). This also makes the total ratings a little closer overall.

Here is the chart for OL recruits only:

DL recruits only:

OL/DL sorted by average points/year.

Now, with these stats in perspective, let's also look at these other details: We graduated our 3 best DL last year and lost a SR possible NFL talent this year to tragedy. We graduated 2 OL last year, lost our best SR this year to transfer, and lost possibly the next 2 best to injury. We do not have a QB on the team that was recruited for this type of offense. I'm not saying our guys aren't talented and I certainly think that Graham is well capable of running this offense, and Lucas has the talent too if he can get past the game day jitters. But those guys have not been practicing any of that until this year. It's more than just making throws. It's reading defenses and seeing pressure, knowing where to attack and where the ball needs to go pre-snap. All of that takes time and will come. We have not had a TE in 10 years and while we do have a few that I think are servicable, they are having to help with blocking most of the time. Yeah I agree we've had some questionable play calling decisions, but it is extremely difficult to have any consistency at this point with all of the above. All of this is why no matter what our record is or what we look like, I'm giving the coaching staff a bye this year. They are ripping the band-aid off and getting as far along with the transition as they can as fast as they can and that is the right move in the long run. Sure we can put TO back there under center some and run some option stuff scattered in and have some better results than we do now, but that is not where they are trying to go with the program and that only sets the transition back further. Trust me, the coaches know that too.

Also, as far as UL and VPI games go from last year, UL was a dumpster fire that went 2-10 last year, and VPI shouldn't have made a bowl. UVA blew their game against them which would've given VPI a losing season no matter what, but after they won still had to schedule a last minute game with Marshall to become bowl eligible. They don't look like they are improving much on that this year yet.
Great post. I really appreciate the OL and DL breakdowns and am not particularly surprised by the results. Those have been by far our weakest recruiting positions for a long time now.

I'm not giving up on the staff, by any means. I just don't like when we lose and I'm tired of seeing our players get trashed constantly. Not by the players, but by our own fans.

sowegajacket

Idiotsavant
Well thought out and backed with numbers. I did notice Temples numbers went way up while CGC was there.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Great post. I really appreciate the OL and DL breakdowns and am not particularly surprised by the results. Those have been by far our weakest recruiting positions for a long time now.

I'm not giving up on the staff, by any means. I just don't like when we lose and I'm tired of seeing our players get trashed constantly. Not by the players, but by our own fans.
100% agree and my biggest argument with some on here is the same with coaches. I'm tired of the posts idiotically placing entire blame on the coaching staff for our performance thus far. I know you haven't, but there are plenty that are doing just that. We just have to give the coaches time to develop the guys we have, get them experience, and get more guys in that fit their scheme. It's like some people believe we should be able to just plug and play a new coaching staff in with a different scheme and there should be no setbacks, learning curve, or "lumps" if you will.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
You keep posting but all we hear is “woof woof woof woof.”
I assume Georgia fans are ööööing salivating right now. Probably because they thought about their sisters, but also because they are looking at the dumpster fire that is Tech and they are going to ööööing destroy us. For years.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I assume Georgia fans are ööööing salivating right now. Probably because they thought about their sisters, but also because they are looking at the dumpster fire that is Tech and they are going to ööööing destroy us. For years.
You claim to be a fan of GT, yet what you are doing with your comments is bringing negativity towards our program and not showing support whatsoever. You may be right about our OC in a couple years when we have concrete evidence and substance to back that up, but right now I can guarantee you do not have the needed information and you damn sure aren't smart enough to make that assumption. If it comes to be that you are right, it will be by sheer dumb luck. So kudos for that if it happens.