Why no Bowl game?

Do we EVER sell our ticket allotment? I was at both OB games and I remember a lot of "fans" bitching that they could not afford to go. To the OB! Georgia Tech graduates pleading poverty - it was disgusting. Seems 1/3 of Tech alumni are from JawJa and grew up hairy dwag fans, 1/3 are from Asia and DNGAF about football, and 1/3 are tight asses who squeeze a nickel so tight that Jefferson screams for mercy. If that is going to be the standard, then they should never accept a bowl bid again . . . and might as well give up football and sell Grant Field to a condo developer.

Post is racist imo

Post is racist imo
You're full of sh!t imo.

Why don't you regale us with tales of all the Korean, Indian, Pakistani, Japanese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Chinese, Indonesian, etc. football leagues? Asians do not care about football. Just as Americans DNGAF about cricket. Which race does that insult, dumbass?

How many NBA titles did he win? Iverson basically represents everything that was and is wrong with the NBA.

Don't have an answer, but the way you posed the question tells me the answer is zero. I didn't like the guy, but he always seemed to play his arse off when he was in the game. There are always going to be practice MVPs that ain't ööööz, and then there are guys that practice like crap, but shine when the lights are turned on. Iverson was apparently one of those guys, but I digress.

I was at the Orange Bowl against Iowa. I never realized it could be that cold in Florida. We were definitely outnumbered by the Iowa fans.
That trip was a nightmare. And came right after a basically perfect trip to Tampa. The state of Florida pays very close attention, and as soon as you start to enjoy yourself too much, it sends along something to kick you in the balls. Over and over and over.

All you have to do is ask any member of the 1971 team what it's like as a team to decline a bowl bid - and we were 6-5 and just had a controversial loss to Ugag - and be told by the HFC "We're staying in this room until you vote to go to the bowl." Carson was getting max pressure from the Athletic Board and the Alumni.

Ole Miss - 41
GT -18

Budro was gone after New Years.....

It is often said that bowls are about who WANTS to be there and who is just there for the bling and to be seen. In 2012, we played USC with a pretty mediocre team. They were talented, loaded with NFL prospects but were disdainful of going to El Passo to play in the Sun Bowl. Tech was happy to go, the team was fired up and played like it. We whipped them and sent their pro prospects home with their tails between their legs. One of those Trojan defensive backs still has the cleat marks where Orwin Smith ran slap dab over his ass.

The game was on Dec. 30th.
You never knew about the Peach Bowl in those days. A few years before that 1971 Tech game, I was invited by some friends to go to the Peach Bowl game featuring UNC with Don McCauley and Arizona State. It was cold with light rain but in the second half it started snowing lightly with light sleet. No matter, that game was a track meet with both teams scoring at will. No dog in the fight but had fun.

It was cold AF. I have probably been to at least two dozen OBs - by far the coldest I ever saw. My poor daughter was shivering so we had to bail in the second half and watch the end from our hotel room. And we were outnumbered by AT LEAST two to one by Iowa fans - IOWA! Came all the way from IOWA. Maybe closer to three to one. Tech fans couldn't be bothered to come from Georgia. And I'm pretty sure that Tech itself actually wound uo buying a ton of tickets so it could meet its allotment.

The MSU game we were still outnumbered, but I don't think it was as bad. Then again, I personally bought 13 tickets to create a small sea of Tech fans among my family - who aren't even Tech fans, but came anyway to support me and my team.

I wish Tech football had more and especially BETTER fans. I wish Tech had an admin that GAF about Tech football.

Mississippi State was favored because of a monstrous defensive line. I knew we were going to win that team had no quit in it. They did not quit in the Georgia game when all seemed lost and they did not quit in that game. "Smooove" as he was known was MVP and we ran State right out of the stadium. That was Dak Prescott's last game as quarterback for the Bulldogs.

It is often said that bowls are about who WANTS to be there and who is just there for the bling and to be seen. In 2012, we played USC with a pretty mediocre team. They were talented, loaded with NFL prospects but were disdainful of going to El Passo to play in the Sun Bowl. Tech was happy to go, the team was fired up and played like it. We whipped them and sent their pro prospects home with their tails between their legs. One of those Trojan defensive backs still has the cleat marks where Orwin Smith ran slap dab over his ass.
Shhhhiiiiiii . . . . . . .

Couple of CSB’s from Iowa-GT OB...two Iowa fans in front of us at the car rental line arrived with their “Body Glove” golf bag cases with coolers and camping chairs. Rented a suburban and planned to sleep in that for a few hours post game before flying back next day. Guess that’s one way to do it......Housekeeping knocked on our hotel room door early next am....handed us a couple of rolls of tissue (toilet paper). Apparently our room had been “made” as a Tech room by some Iowa fans downt he hall. Clever bunch those Hawkeyes.

Oh and it was miserably cold.

Derp. We played two playoff teams.

Nobody said anything about "deserving" anything. Bowls are taking any teams able to play.
Nope. We had a terrible season. Why would we be selected even if we had said that we would play since we backed out of the Miami game at the same time that they were choosing teams?

Nope. We had a terrible season. Why would we be selected even if we had said that we would play since we backed out of the Miami game at the same time that they were choosing teams?
For the exact reason stated in the post you quoted. Bowls were taking any team capable of playing. The Miami game would have had no bearing on that since we “backed out” for the same reason multiple other games were cancelled this season - even by teams that are playing in bowls.

Your hate for Collins is clouding your views.

Last edited:

What he said above. The ACC didn't fill its slots. Merry Christmas, Mr. Scrooge.

This will be the least amount of bowl games I’ve ever watched in my life.
I might watch UGA until they blow the Bearcats out. It would be fun to see them get upset. I doubt I will bother with anything else.

Mississippi State was favored because of a monstrous defensive line. I knew we were going to win that team had no quit in it. They did not quit in the Georgia game when all seemed lost and they did not quit in that game. "Smooove" as he was known was MVP and we ran State right out of the stadium. That was Dak Prescott's last game as quarterback for the Bulldogs.

If we only had Dak!

That trip was a nightmare. And came right after a basically perfect trip to Tampa. The state of Florida pays very close attention, and as soon as you start to enjoy yourself too much, it sends along something to kick you in the balls. Over and over and over.
I had a blast in Ybor City before Tech beat the South Carolina Cow College. And the weather was be-a-u-tiful. You are right - I should have known what a debacle the OB was going to be. Still, had to go support the fellas.

MS probably didn't practice defense without the football.
Well, in their defense, the DC left to go to Florida right after their last regular season game and they used an interim who had been the defensive back coach. You can just imagine the mismatch between that poor soul and Paul Johnson. It was like throwing an octopus into a tank of crazed tiger sharks. Plus, Darren Waller had his coming out party and made up for losing DeAndre Smelter in the UGA game. That game proved to Darren that he could play in the NFL I think all he lacked was confidence after being in Smelter's shadow all year.

I went to the Mississippi St game and in no way felt outnumbered.

Back