Will CPJ Coach GT (or anywhere) in 2022?

Will CPJ still be coaching in 2022?

• Yes, at GT

• Yes, but not at GT

• No, fired/‘let go’ and not re-hired

• No, retired

• IIWII

Results are only viewable after voting.
meh, I think there are plenty of guys we could pay less than 3 mill/year to have 2 of 3 losing seasons and missed bowls.

The question is do you prefer a guaranteed 7 wins with an “outstanding” season being 8 wins or would you rather have a 10+ win season every five or so years with the chance at the ACC and an OB with a couple of 7-8 win seasons and a couple of really bad sub 7 win seasons and potentially missed bowls sprinkled in? Paul obviously gives us the latter. The Chan days were boring even if consistent. We won’t be a (consistent) national power any time soon/ever so I’ll take the latter scenario. That said, if there is someone who can do it better, I’d be all for it. I’m not a CPJ fan/hater.

The question is do you prefer a guaranteed 7 wins with an “outstanding” season being 8 wins or would you rather have a 10+ win season every five or so years with the chance at the ACC and an OB with a couple of 7-8 win seasons and a couple of really bad sub 7 win seasons and potentially missed bowls sprinkled in? Paul obviously gives us the latter. The Chan days were boring even if consistent. We won’t be a (consistent) national power any time soon/ever so I’ll take the latter scenario. That said, if there is someone who can do it better, I’d be all for it. I’m not a CPJ fan/hater.

I don't believe that a change of scenery at the HC position would automatically mean "a guaranteed 7 wins with an “outstanding” season being 8 wins". Nor do I believe that we'll have anymore 2014s under CPJ.

I don't know why there's an attitude that the only 2 coaches possible for Tech are CPJ or Chan. Are we supposed to just quit football once the mighty CPJ retires?

He'll still be here, we'll have more whining with less cause for it, and RamblinWreck92 will still be a punk and a bitch but will not have grown in any direction from his state of perpetual mediocrity and so will still not yet be a punk-ass bitch.

Oh hey

Did he ever call you a punk bitch? Because you're a punk bitch.

Aren't you that pony-tailed maggot who got his ass handed to him in the stands last season?

Coach Johnson has really done a very good job at TECH. Even last year with a couple of plays going our way it would have been a different season. Miami(?), Tenn(?)
I think that college football is like the wind unless you are Alabama or Clemson maybe now Georgia. You don't just reload. The magical 1990 season was with a great
quarterback, a lot of luck and a tie which you would probably not have today. I think TECH could have a magical year between now and 2022. It takes a great quarterback
in the league. We have not seen the likes of Joe Hamilton or Shawn Jones in a while. If Coach can get the special kid at quarterback, solidify the defense with Coach Woody
and have a little luck who knows. With Justin we beat the mighty Dak Prescott in the Orange Bowl.

I don't believe that a change of scenery at the HC position would automatically mean "a guaranteed 7 wins with an “outstanding” season being 8 wins". Nor do I believe that we'll have anymore 2014s under CPJ.

I don't know why there's an attitude that the only 2 coaches possible for Tech are CPJ or Chan. Are we supposed to just quit football once the mighty CPJ retires?

No but that’s been our reality for nearly two decades so I don’t have anything else to compare to that is meaningful. If CPJ quits or gets fired tomorrow I’ll be excited for a change and the possibility of being a better program. I was not upset that he got extended either because I think he has done great things at tech and I do disagree with you, there is no reason to assume we don’t have more great years ahead of us.

There aren't many teams in college football that want to play against CPJ's offense. If our defense wasn't so inviting to opposing offenses, we would probably struggle to schedule OOC games against BCS opponents. It's not just cut blocks and preparing for a different scheme, it's because they know that CPJ can humiliate them when his offense is clicking. If Tech went for a traditional-offense coaching change, we'd become just like all the other mediocre P5 teams out there, unable to sign the athletes required to make that system thrive.

There aren't many teams in college football that want to play against CPJ's offense. If our defense wasn't so inviting to opposing offenses, we would probably struggle to schedule OOC games against BCS opponents. It's not just cut blocks and preparing for a different scheme, it's because they know that CPJ can humiliate them when his offense is clicking. If Tech went for a traditional-offense coaching change, we'd become just like all the other mediocre P5 teams out there, unable to sign the athletes required to make that system thrive.

This is true. For all the talk of teams having "the blueprint" on us, they still spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about us, practicing for us, scheduling with us in mind, etc. The idea of us doing the same type of thing everyone else does is dumb, given that Tech isn't like any other Power 5 school, no not even, especially not even Stanford. That said, I don't think CPJ's system is the end all/be all. For example, I love watching the Big 12 type offenses. The challenge of installing something like that here would be recruiting QB's to run it. We've had a devil of a time finding capable passers, even when we had an NFL coach and system. I actually think people would be surprised to see what CPJ's offense would look like with a good passer.

Last edited:
He'll still be here, we'll have more whining with less cause for it, and RamblinWreck92 will still be a punk and a bitch but will not have grown in any direction from his state of perpetual mediocrity and so will still not yet be a punk-ass bitch.

Oh hey

Did he ever call you a punk bitch? Because you're a punk bitch.

Anyone that has a unicorn with a rainbow shooting out its @ss......... well!
Who would be your pick for a new HC Rainbow Bright?

This is true. For all the talk of teams having "the blueprint" on us, they still spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about us, practicing for us, scheduling with us in mind, etc. The idea of us doing the same type of thing everyone else does is dumb, given that Tech isn't like any other Power 5 school, no not even, especially not even Stanford. That said, I don't think CPJ's system is the end all/be all. For example, I love watching the Big 12 type offenses. The challenge of installing something like that here would be recruiting QB's to run it. We've had a devil of a time finding capable passers, even when we had an NFL coach and system. I actually think people would be surprised to see what CPJ's offense would look like with a good passer.

Its called a GT QB that can hit 55-60% of his passes for 110 + yards when needed. It opens up your run game like a can opener.

Stanford is much, much better at what they do than we are with CPJ. Stanford regularly wins 11+ games and makes appearances in the top 15 and New Years' bowls.

GOL didn't have problems finding decent passers. Only Gailey and CPJ have struggled in that regard.

Anyone that has a unicorn with a rainbow shooting out its @ss......... well!
Who would be your pick for a new HC Rainbow Bright?

What do you have against rainbows and unicorns?

re: HC - ask me again in 2021, when it matters. Right now, it's CPJ all the way!! 6 wins, here we hopefully come!

I wish we got to play cupcake Southern this year. You guys suck - want CPJ back?

Stanford is much, much better at what they do than we are with CPJ. Stanford regularly wins 11+ games and makes appearances in the top 15 and New Years' bowls.

GOL didn't have problems finding decent passers. Only Gailey and CPJ have struggled in that regard.

They are also private with a massive liberal arts program and money to literally burn. Yes GOL had 2 stellar QBs back to back. And the best it got us was the Gator and Peach bowls and a "co ACC title" .

Last edited:
They are also private with a massive liberal arts program and money to literally burn. Yes GOL had 2 stellar QBs back to back. And the best it got us was the Gator and Peach bowls and a "co ACC title" .

and 3 IAR over the mutts and a Heisman candidate. Schedules were tougher back then too. We didn't have a 12-13 game schedule with cupcakes on the front end.

I agree with you re:Private, massive liberal arts program, and more $$$ to burn.

and 3 IAR over the mutts and a Heisman candidate. Schedules were tougher back then too. We didn't have a 12-13 game schedule with cupcakes on the front end.

I agree with you re:Private, massive liberal arts program, and more $$$ to burn.

Eh. CPJ probably never would've lost to Donnan's version of the mutts at all. Deeper, tougher ACC overall now, too. Back then, it was FSU, a bunch of middlin' programs, including Clemson and true bottom feeders in both UNC and Duke. No Miami or Virginia Tech, either. I don't even wanna knock O'Leary. Those were fun times, but maybe CPJ's accomplishments shouldnt be diminished either. Lets keep it real. Only Heisman himself is above reproach. Hell, old timers even knock Dodd on here all the time.

Last edited:
Coach Johnson has really done a very good job at TECH. Even last year with a couple of plays going our way it would have been a different season. Miami(?), Tenn(?)
I think that college football is like the wind unless you are Alabama or Clemson maybe now Georgia. You don't just reload. The magical 1990 season was with a great
quarterback, a lot of luck and a tie which you would probably not have today. I think TECH could have a magical year between now and 2022. It takes a great quarterback
in the league. We have not seen the likes of Joe Hamilton or Shawn Jones in a while. If Coach can get the special kid at quarterback, solidify the defense with Coach Woody
and have a little luck who knows. With Justin we beat the mighty Dak Prescott in the Orange Bowl.
Mighty Dak - - you Jack

Eh. CPJ probably never would've lost to Donnan's version of the mutts at all. Deeper, tougher ACC overall now, too. Back then, it was FSU, a bunch of middlin' programs, including Clemson and true bottom feeders in both UNC and Duke. No Miami or Virginia Tech, either. I don't even wanna knock O'Leary. Those were fun times, but maybe CPJ's accomplishments shouldnt be diminished either. Lets keep it real. Only Heisman himself is above reproach. Hell, old timers even knock Dodd on here all the time.

I dunno - CPJ has lost to some of the worst packs of mutts in history. That 2009 loss was to a mutt team so bad, it fired its DC (after he shut down CPJ's best at home). That last CMR team was horrific. No way in hell GOL blows a 20 pt home lead, or whatever the 2013 disastrous home collapse was.

But GOL took the mutt rivalry seriously from day 1. I don't think CPJ has given a crap about 'em until recently, which is bizarre.

1990s FSU is today's Clemson. NC State, MD, UVA were probably better than today's teams. Today's BC, Syracuse, and ööööt teams suck. Puke today is better though. UNC today is much worse. You're right about Miami and VPI but we lose to them the vast majority of the time anyway.

Since Dodd, Carson was decent, had some behind the scenes troubles, got fired, did great as an NFL coordinator. Fulcher started well, faded in year 2, had his own personal issues, and was canned. Pepper brought some life and a couple of wins over UGA but did not work hard enough and got fired. Curry was horrible at first, had some success late, and left for Bama. Ross did an amazing job and left for NFL. Lewis failed and had to be fired. Never recovered from FSU loss. O’Leary did a really good job, best run since Dodd. Left for Notre Dame and resume shame. Gailey was decent to good. Recruited good players. Could not beat UGA. That got him fired.

Paul Johnson has done some really good things. He has 3 wins over UGA and two trips to the Orange Bowl. Three to four seasons have been really good. But, two of the last three seasons have been under reasonable expectations. I think he should stay for another two years. But, neither of those seasons should be losing campaigns. I don’t mind the extension; without it you cripple his recruiting.

My personal opinion is that the greatest disappointment in the Johnson era has been the inability to recruit and develop a great triple option QB. Most blame O line and defense. Nesbitt adapted well and Justin was really good. But, let us get a truly great triple option QB and we can be terrific. A Keenan Reynolds, Ahmad Bradshaw, Ricky Dobbs, or Craig Candeto of the academies would be fantastic.
Find a Jamelle Holloway and we could be unbeatable.

Last edited:
My personal opinion is that the greatest disappointment in the Johnson era has been the inability to recruit and develop a great triple option QB. Most blame O line and defense. Nesbitt adapted well and Justin was really good. But, let us get a truly great triple option QB and we can be terrific. A Keenan Reynolds, Ahmad Bradshaw, Ricky Dobbs, or Craig Candeto of the academies would be fantastic.
Find a Jamelle Holloway and we could be unbeatable.
It's not the QB that's the consistent problem. It's the OL.

Back