Will CPJ's offense bury GT football in the long run?

Serious question. Top recruits don't want to play in the offense and defense suffers because they have to practice against it. I know many of you will say that we never got top recruits anyway but that is not really true. There have been years during the Ross, O'Leary and Gailey regimes where we scored on a few top players (Donnie Davis - #1 ranked QB in 1991, Calvin, Gailey's '07 class, etc.) Don't see that with CPJ.
Serious answer: This question is a crazy overreaction.

I'm sorry, but you have no evidence that the defense suffers because they have to practice against it, nor do you have evidence that it impacts recruiting that much.

However, there are decades of evidence that shows that GT has never recruited top talent anyway (with a few exceptions, obviously), as well as decades of evidence that Paul Johnson's offense has been wildly successful for many years at several different levels.

What's more, we actually recruit decently well on defense. The majority of our highly rated talent has been on that side of the ball, yet the defense has been dramatically worse than the offense for the majority of CPJ's tenure.

Obviously we have huge problems right now in all 3 phases of the game, and our mediocre recruiting magnifies those problems. The head coach is going to have to fix these problems or be held accountable, but know this:

1) Our program will not be "buried in the long run" even if it gets worse and CPJ moves on.
2) CPJ's offensive scheme is about 1348th on the list of reasons why GT football is struggling right now.

Reactions: eg1
I don’t doubt it, but why require it?

They are far more relevant than the computer science requirement.

I guess at the end of the day, any school is going to have some degree requirements that don’t make sense. A foreign language requirement does not make much sense for most majors. Neither does a psych class. But they are still there.

The SAs take survey of calc at gpc over the summer. The only people who think its difficult are the retarts who complain about it here and UNC's athletes.

Didn’t have it in high school and it was like drinking from a firehouse when combined with CS and Biol 1

Edit - and Geronimo.
He he. I still recognize the names of the horsemen (can't recite them though)

The SAs take survey of calc at gpc over the summer. The only people who think its difficult are the retarts who complain about it here and UNC's athletes.

Survey wasn’t hard at Tech. Maybe that’s because I had already been through the calc meat grinder though.

The transition from triple option to a conventional offense should not be any more dramatic than the transition from a conventional offense to the triple option. So no, the program will not be buried by CPJ. A good coach will be able to transition back within 2 years if we ever decide to go that route.

I don't have a solid explanation for our lack of talent on offense. How does Navy get the squad of QB's they have every year compared to us? Hard to believe a running back wouldn't want to play B-back here. We've done a good job putting WR's in the NFL and Jeune will get a legit shot.

Our biggest deficit on defense has been DL. Besides Gotsis, we just haven't gotten the players there.

Most of our top ranked recruits have been on the D, 4 stars such as Denzel McCoy, Anthony Williams, Francis Kallon, JC Lanier, Louis Young, Jabari Hunt-Days, Step Durham, Jordan Woods, prior to the most recent signing class. And let's face it, we didn't get a lot out of most of those guys. There's the canard that big time D recruits don't want to come here because they don't want to practice against this offense - which they don't once the middle of August rolls around.
Our 4 stars on O? Uzzi, BJ Bostic, JT.
Unfortunately most of those guys hardly ever saw the field. Mccoy had a medical problem and never played a down. Ant was good but got booted for reefer I believe, Kallon never broke through like was hoped for, Lanier never panned out, Lou Young played and was ok, Jabari was a beast until he got suspended then quit the team, Durham seemed like a stud his freshman year but never improved. I think there were a few other big time recruits who never played or got any better.

Back