Will CPJ's offense bury GT football in the long run?

Let's take Calvin Johnson as an example. For such an extraordinary talent, destined for the NFL, Tech could lure him by explaining Gailey had been OC of the Steelers, Head Coach of the Cowboys, and OC of the Dolphins. He could look forward to competent preparation for the pass-happy pro game. It was a very good decision for him based on what Gailey potentially could provide for him. We have the exact opposite of that now. Nothing Georgia Tech provides has anything to do with a future in the NFL for offensive players. The ones that move forward, Shaq Mason, Demaryius Thomas, Dwyer, Waller, etc., do it in spite of their college experiences.
This is a false narrative that our opponents use to negatively recruit against us. People like you perpetuating it doesn't help.

The vast majority of college teams play vastly differently than NFL teams. The schemes are totally different. Time and time again, the NFL has proven that they will find talented players at any level of school and regardless of what scheme they play in. Each NFL coach has his own system and will teach all of his players this system. Mason, Thomas, Burnett, Morgan, Attaochu, etc. all had immediate NFL impact because they were prepared for the NFL, contrary to the öööö you are spewing. The fact that you apparently think the only thing Paul Johnson or Georgia Tech can teach these kids is how to play in a specific NFL scheme (that will be completely different in 5 years anyway) is pretty sad. Clearly he did something right, because 3 of those guys were considered mediocre 3* players that vastly outperformed their NFL projection after going through GT.

What a complete load of horse öööö. Calvin came to GT over GEORGIA, who ran the same system as us plus also had the opportunity to play in the National Title game, because his PARENTS WERE TEACHERS. It had jack squat to do with the system. Especially considering how Chan's system was complete trash. If Calvin cared at all about the system, he would have been a DWAG, and they'd probably have a national championship more recently than 1980.

Your brain is addled. Put some caffeine in your Mucinex.
Yeah, I didn't address this in my first post, but that CJ comment was dumb as hell, too. Calvin Johnson is a textbook example of succeeding at the next level in spite of his college experience, and this dude seriously went out of his way to choose him as a counterexample.

Serious answer: This question is a crazy overreaction.

I'm sorry, but you have no evidence that the defense suffers because they have to practice against it, nor do you have evidence that it impacts recruiting that much.

However, there are decades of evidence that shows that GT has never recruited top talent anyway (with a few exceptions, obviously), as well as decades of evidence that Paul Johnson's offense has been wildly successful for many years at several different levels.

What's more, we actually recruit decently well on defense. The majority of our highly rated talent has been on that side of the ball, yet the defense has been dramatically worse than the offense for the majority of CPJ's tenure.

Obviously we have huge problems right now in all 3 phases of the game, and our mediocre recruiting magnifies those problems. The head coach is going to have to fix these problems or be held accountable, but know this:

1) Our program will not be "buried in the long run" even if it gets worse and CPJ moves on.
2) CPJ's offensive scheme is about 1348th on the list of reasons why GT football is struggling right now.

I agree with a lot you say but the Off does affect the def at least some.We have had 10 yrs of PJ and generally have an avg to poor def. How much I don't know but some.

I think if Johnson hired Ivin Jasper as OC and let him call plays the offense would perform better. Navy uses their A backs more effectively than GT does and has less penalties and negative plays.

I 100% agree with this. At this point I wish he would hire an OC to run the same system we do today, which would allow him time to oversee the whole operation. That way he can be more involved on defense or ST if that is what the team needs at the time. Instead he has to spend most all of his time with the offense and would be spread too thin otherwise.

Anybody who thinks recruits are going to Bama instead of GT because of our style of offense needs to be hauled out and shot.

Then they need to be taken to the hospital, put on life support, and required to take an 18 hour class load during their rehab.

GT sucks. It's no fun. It's like military bootcamp for nerds. I've got 2 degrees from Tech, and neither of them was remotely enjoyable to achieve. If my son was a football player, which he isn't, I'd tell him to go anywhere other than Tech. The only thing that would make me want him to go to GT is Paul Johnson. It's honestly a miracle we can field a football team at all.

Clemson players get a movie theater and a water slide. GT players get a stack of textbooks. We are a lemon of a football destination, and without a coach that can turn that lemon into lemonade through trickery and gimmicks, we would never rise to the level of Wake Forest. Get that through your heads, people.

Sig worthy.

When it comes to recruiting, no one seems to mention, imo, tech's lack of the hoard of whores, which are at these other schools. It's not calculus that scares away 18 year olds. It's why I didn't go to West Point. I didn't want to be making sock babies for four years.
Alabama was 60 percent female when I went there in the 90's. Does anybody think this is a factor? Gotta get moar hoars.

When it comes to recruiting, no one seems to mention, imo, tech's lack of the hoard of whores, which are at these other schools. It's not calculus that scares away 18 year olds. It's why I didn't go to West Point. I didn't want to be making sock babies for four years.
Alabama was 60 percent female when I went there in the 90's. Does anybody think this is a factor? Gotta get moar hoars.

So we should be supporting moar STEM programs for women so that Tech can get moar hoars on campus and recruit better football players?

I agree with a lot you say but the Off does affect the def at least some.We have had 10 yrs of PJ and generally have an avg to poor def. How much I don't know but some.
I think calling our defenses"average" is too kind. Perhaps CPJ just isn't a great defensive coach. Either that or he has made a series of really bad DC hires. Other teams don't blame their defensive struggles on their offense - ours should be no different.

Back