Will Da U ever come back to prominence?

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
They clearly cant get those NFL players without some slim shadiness on the side. Now that they have lost their pay-for-play financier, I just cant see any way they can return to the glory days. They have some of the worst facilities in the conference, low local fan support, small alumni base, and a cash-strapped AA. The only two things they have going for them are extremely fertile recruiting grounds and brand recognition. However, theyre getting their butts kicked in s. florida recruiting now by UF and FSU. Their brand is starting to fade.

I hope they return to prominence because the ACC needs it, but I'm not holding my breath.

".... low local fan support, small alumni base, and a cash-strapped AA. The only two things they have going for them are extremely fertile recruiting grounds and brand recognition."

Hmm. Sound like anyone else we know?

Uh no... We need to curb stomp them this year and every year after this.

".... low local fan support, small alumni base, and a cash-strapped AA. The only two things they have going for them are extremely fertile recruiting grounds and brand recognition."

Hmm. Sound like anyone else we know?

Troll, troll, troll your boat.

Our AA is doing just fine, thank you. We just built several new state-of-the-art facilities for football, basketball, and tennis. Not sure who you are thinking about.

If they get the right coach anything can happen. If they had hired Mike Leach I would have been scared.

Troll, troll, troll your boat.

Our AA is doing just fine, thank you. We just built several new state-of-the-art facilities for football, basketball, and tennis. Not sure who you are thinking about.

Agree re the new facilities. That's why I took 'em out of the quote. But the other stuff seems to fit.

There's no reason to believe Miami will become a powerhouse again. Their location doesn't make them perfectly situated for success in this sport.

Agree re the new facilities. That's why I took 'em out of the quote. But the other stuff seems to fit.

I wouldn't say we really have any football brand recognition beyond people generally recognizing our logo. There's never any talk of us "returning to prominence" or national excitement over anything we do like there is with Miami.

I wouldn't say we really have any football brand recognition beyond people generally recognizing our logo. There's never any talk of us "returning to prominence" or national excitement over anything we do like there is with Miami.

They do have one thing over us and thats football friendly majors. They are free to recruit anybody unlike us.

We'll see. Al Golden hasn't done anything special. He may. They are favored in a very weak coastal next year so lets see how it turns out.

There's no magical "guy" that will make Miami a powerhouse. Al Golden is as solid as they're going to get. If Miami has the built-in tools for success like people believe, they'll be on their way to the top under him.

Much depends on what happens with NCAA sanctions. They recruit very well, but that could be impacted by post-season bans and loss of scholarships. In the long run they will probably be like most programs, an occasional rise to prominence followed by years down or out of the rankings. Even the SEC teams change places at the top over time. As long as they recruit top talent, UM always has a chance to put the pieces together and compete for a NC.

If they had their own stadium, maybe. I realize the Orange Bowl wasn't theirs, but when you thought of the place, you thought of UM. I hope they return to greatness. I hope that we are the only team that beats them every year. Same for UGAg. I want us to be the greatest of the great.

If they had their own stadium, maybe. I realize the Orange Bowl wasn't theirs, but when you thought of the place, you thought of UM. I hope they return to greatness. I hope that we are the only team that beats them every year. Same for UGAg. I want us to be the greatest of the great.

I'd settle for just beating them.

They do have one thing over us and thats football friendly majors. They are free to recruit anybody unlike us.

They also have South Beach and attractive women.

All it would take is a super wealthy donor dropping a hundred million or so for new facilities and, if need be, a new coach. Which really isn't that far fetched.

If they do come back to "prominence", as you put it, will they then beat us 15 years in a row?

Then, certainly you see how that doesn't fit the whole "poorly funded AA" bit, yes?

You do realize we FINANCED much of our facility improvements, right? Saying our AA is cash strapped is a pretty accurate analogy, in my book.

I mean, our debt load is over $226 million right now.

Last edited:
Back