Will Da U ever come back to prominence?

There's no reason to believe Miami will become a powerhouse again. Their location doesn't make them perfectly situated for success in this sport.

Location, location, location? Players don't want to go to South Beach anymore? Their location has always been seen as a plus.

Some programs are just unfazed by anything negative. Ohio State, Miami, and UNC all had great recruiting years in the middle of a scandal.

Heck...last year UNC and Miami both were bowl eligible and even UNC knew all year they could not go and still went 8-4.

Can Miami win a national title?...doubt it for awhile but neither will anyone else while Saban and Bama have their thing spinning.

Last years recruiting class was ranked 4th by Ohio State and 9th by Miami. Shows you what a lot of the top athletes value. Amazing isn't it?

Miami is in a bad spot. Their biggest problem is their looming sanctions. Following that, they play in a stadium that is always 70% empty and creates a negative image around the nation. There bad behavior use to be an asset but now it only serves to pile on the stack of reasons not to go there. They are living on their past reputation and their recruiting classes are still ginned up good ratings even though as you can see from the results on the field they are really not a match. They don't recruit any better than we do.

Their leadership, the lesbian Donna Shulala could care less about football, she is more into the girl's softball team. To be honest with you, the "U" is a joke. Their fans are mostly New Jersey wanta be thugs that still think Ray Lewis is out there playing. It would not suprise me if Miami would exit Division One football in the not too distant future. It's a program in steep decline.

Go Jackets!

Let's see how big of a sledge hammer the NCAA hits them with. They should be reduced to rubble for about a decade. If not, then the NCAA is a joke. UM broke all of the NCAA's 10 commandments in spectacular fashion.
Scholly reduction will be used in a huge way against UM. Guaranteed

They also have South Beach and attractive women.

All it would take is a super wealthy donor dropping a hundred million or so for new facilities and, if need be, a new coach. Which really isn't that far fetched.

Donald Trump was VERY publicly outspoken to UM Prez Shalala, that Miami should have hired Mike Leach before they hired Randy Shannon. Trump was again public is his call for Miami to hire Mike Leach after Shannon was fired.

Imagine how much money Trump would probably given Miami. Stupid Shalala.

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5870539

If Leach could work wonders like he did in Lubbuck, TX with the "leftovers" from OK, OKST, Texas and aTm....imagine what he could have accomplished in Miami.

Scary good, IMO.

Donald Trump was VERY publicly outspoken to UM Prez Shalala, that Miami should have hired Mike Leach before they hired Randy Shannon. Trump was again public is his call for Miami to hire Mike Leach after Shannon was fired.

Imagine how much money Trump would probably given Miami. Stupid Shalala.

LINK: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5870539

If Leach could work wonders like he did in Lubbuck, TX with the "leftovers" from OK, OKST, Texas and aTm....imagine what he could have accomplished in Miami.

Scary good, IMO.

He didnt do too well at WSU this year, but then again, it wouldve taken miracles with that roster. I wouldnt exactly call his roster at TTU full of leftovers. He had NFL stars Wes Welker and Michael "da rapist" Crabtree, for example.

Bottom line: You need talent no matter who you are.

You do realize we FINANCED much of our facility improvements, right? Saying our AA is cash strapped is a pretty accurate analogy, in my book.

I mean, our debt load is over $226 million right now.

No one is paying out of pocket for facilities such as Tech had built over the last three years. Don't be daft. But, all the same, schools with "cash strapped" AAs don't sign off on those kinds of improvements. The analogy is a poor one.

Some programs are just unfazed by anything negative. Ohio State, Miami, and UNC all had great recruiting years in the middle of a scandal.

Heck...last year UNC and Miami both were bowl eligible and even UNC knew all year they could not go and still went 8-4.

Can Miami win a national title?...doubt it for awhile but neither will anyone else while Saban and Bama have their thing spinning.

Last years recruiting class was ranked 4th by Ohio State and 9th by Miami. Shows you what a lot of the top athletes value. Amazing isn't it?

All I can conclude is that some kids like the type of bad behavior that goes on at places like Penn State, Miami, UNC, etc.

All I can conclude is that some kids like the type of bad behavior that goes on at places like Penn State, Miami, UNC, etc.

perhaps not the behavior but the knowledge that those in charge will always "have your back" or look the other way.

No one is paying out of pocket for facilities such as Tech had built over the last three years. Don't be daft. But, all the same, schools with "cash strapped" AAs don't sign off on those kinds of improvements. The analogy is a poor one.

I apologize. You're obviously correct. EVERY athletic administration has a budget that is only 26.5% of their debt.

Oh wait...just a single check on Google shows that our debt load of $226 million versus a budget of $60 million (actually $59.x but I'll round up) is WAYYYY greater than our "friends" to the East. UGA has a $92 million budget versus $125 million debt load. Now they DID just approve $3 million more debt...so that's $92 versus $128. In other words, UGA's budget is 71.8% of their debt....meaning they could pay off their debt much more easily than we could. In other words....we're a bit strapped for cash.

And if you can't figure that out, you now know why I will not be hiring you to run one of my businesses. :rotfl:

I apologize. You're obviously correct. EVERY athletic administration has a budget that is only 26.5% of their debt.

Oh wait...just a single check on Google shows that our debt load of $226 million versus a budget of $60 million (actually $59.x but I'll round up) is WAYYYY greater than our "friends" to the East. UGA has a $92 million budget versus $125 million debt load. Now they DID just approve $3 million more debt...so that's $92 versus $128. In other words, UGA's budget is 71.8% of their debt....meaning they could pay off their debt much more easily than we could. In other words....we're a bit strapped for cash.

1. comparing us the Georgie is dumb since they are a much larger university with many more sports

2. we just finished a brand new building, so doesnt it make sense that our debt-load is higher?

but please continue to dramatically overreact, it is fun to watch

And if you can't figure that out, you now know why I will not be hiring you to run one of my businesses. :rotfl:

But this also means we don't have an immediate need for major new facilities.

Georgie still plays basketball in a rodeo hall.

We won't need to renovate the basketball, baseball, softball, swimming, or football main facilities for some time.

Our debt load is where it should be. Right now debt is cheap. We've taken advantage of that to build great facilities at a lower price.

1. comparing us the Georgie is dumb since they are a much larger university with many more sports

2. we just finished a brand new building, so doesnt it make sense that our debt-load is higher?

To add to 1., they are also one of the most profitable athletic departments in the country, not exactly a standard to compare to for a level judgement. It's like comparing GT basketball to Duke and saying its a sign that we are really bad out of the 300+ schools that are in Div 1.

We won't need to renovate the basketball, baseball, softball, swimming, or football main facilities for some time.

Our debt load is where it should be. Right now debt is cheap. We've taken advantage of that to build great facilities at a lower price.

In some ways you are correct, but I'd argue upgrading non-revenue sports facilities isn't the best idea. You forgot to mention the tennis facility. While debt is cheap, it's still not good to be so highly leveraged.

I still don't get why we have a swimming and diving team at all, much less upgrading the facilities. I would much rather the AA take the money spent on upgrading their facility, scholarships, and other expenses and put it back into the general GT fund to help the academic side.

Major school in the state of Florida... hmmmm... let's see.............

Yes. They will usually be prominent.

Being in Florida allows a woman's college (FSU) to keep a prominent football team.

And South Florida is the most fertile part of the state.

Nor would I hire you ...

This.

This.

To add to 1., they are also one of the most profitable athletic departments in the country, not exactly a standard to compare to for a level judgement. It's like comparing GT basketball to Duke and saying its a sign that we are really bad out of the 300+ schools that are in Div 1.

This.

But, seriously, keep trying. It's cute.

In some ways you are correct, but I'd argue upgrading non-revenue sports facilities isn't the best idea. You forgot to mention the tennis facility. While debt is cheap, it's still not good to be so highly leveraged.

I still don't get why we have a swimming and diving team at all, much less upgrading the facilities. I would much rather the AA take the money spent on upgrading their facility, scholarships, and other expenses and put it back into the general GT fund to help the academic side.

For starters, you have to have 17 sports to compete in NCAA.

The other reasons aren't worth going into on this forum, but if you want to move them to the dungeon, that's fine. But the above reason is more than enough.

But yes, we agree. It would be better to put that money back into academics and student aid. You know . . . because we're a school, not a semi-pro franchise.

I'm all for dropping to Division III yesterday.

Back