Will Da U ever come back to prominence?

Tech has a significant endowment. Academics isn't hurting for cash.

Then why do they keep jacking up tuition and graduate athletic fees? The money is better spent keeping tuition down than funding sports nobody goes to see. imo they should be club teams like ice hockey and lacrosse. I get having them, I just don't get treating them like big time college athletics with scholarships and use of AA resources like trainers, tutors, and meals. In other words, they should be hobbies, not black holes.

A few years ago the sports editor up here wrote about how the Minnesota golf coach was headed to Australia and the tennis coach to Germany for recruiting. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Not only is that pure cost, but some Minnesota kid won't get the chance to be the next Tim Herron, Tom Lehman, David Wheaton, or Mardy Fish.

Well they beat the hell out of us in Football and Basketball. So we can't really talk much öööö about them.

Then why do they keep jacking up tuition and graduate athletic fees? The money is better spent keeping tuition down than funding sports nobody goes to see. imo they should be club teams like ice hockey and lacrosse. I get having them, I just don't get treating them like big time college athletics with scholarships and use of AA resources like trainers, tutors, and meals. In other words, they should be hobbies, not black holes.

A few years ago the sports editor up here wrote about how the Minnesota golf coach was headed to Australia and the tennis coach to Germany for recruiting. That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Not only is that pure cost, but some Minnesota kid won't get the chance to be the next Tim Herron, Tom Lehman, David Wheaton, or Mardy Fish.

I think that has to do with the state continually decreasing the higher education funding. Tech is still an amazing deal for its students.

I see your point about those other sports, though. I'm afraid that's just the nature of things. There has to be balance - either maintain things where they are, or decrease all sports spending, including football.

I think that has to do with the state continually decreasing the higher education funding. Tech is still an amazing deal for its students.

I see your point about those other sports, though. I'm afraid that's just the nature of things. There has to be balance - either maintain things where they are, or decrease all sports spending, including football.

And some of that money that the state is decreasing could be offset by the AA. I am in no way for decreasing spending on revenue neutral or better sports. Even some non-revenue ones like baseball are required for us to get the TV money and I get them. I also get women's softball and volleyball because of Title IX.

GT tuition is absolutely still a good deal, but it used to be much better. Tuition and fees ran about $500/quarter my freshmen year and it has grown greatly since then, following the trend of all academia. But until tuition hits $0, I will always be against wasting money.

Anyway...back to the subject of Miami....

Unlike Duke and Army and Georgia Tech, to name a few schools that have struggled in the "modern era" where it is a stretch to call most of the football team "student athletes" rather than "athletes who claim to be students", I think Miami has a good chance to compete at the highest level again.

Their brand appeals to many of the most talented athletes and they are in a talent rich area. "Mama can come watch you play!" Who wouldn't want to be associated with the all the NFL talent they have produced in the past 30 years (the total history that any upcoming player today is aware of)? Things have not worked out for them since the NC under Coker, but they have the potential to put it together again.

i see the emergence of USF, UCF and the national prominence of UF with Meyer as well as the reduction of scholarships to 85 as the main reasons that Miami has found it more difficult than they expected to get back on top again

Miami has not been the same since they canned Coker.
What gets me about Miami, and even FSU & Clemson, they still get the some of the top recruiting classes in the country but seem to fail in the big games (as does the ACC).. Is that coaching or something else?

i see the emergence of USF, UCF and the national prominence of UF with Meyer as well as the reduction of scholarships to 85 as the main reasons that Miami has found it more difficult than they expected to get back on top again

I see the entire recruiting of Florida to being a problem. Even schools like North Dakota State are pulling players out of there. The empty stadium and a want to get out of crappy situations really has hurt them. Schools as far away as Wisconsin have 5 players from Florida and most of them are from the Miami area.

its true that many schools send people to Florida to recruit and even hire coaches specifically to get connections in Florida. Texas and Georgia, too. The few good student athletes in Atlanta get courted nationally too, as we have seen with ND, Stanford, etc

its true that many schools send people to Florida to recruit and even hire coaches specifically to get connections in Florida. Texas and Georgia, too. The few good student athletes in Atlanta get courted nationally too, as we have seen with ND, Stanford, etc

The paradigm in Florida has shifted. It's no longer just the big three. You're right that the same thing has happened in Georgia and Texas, which is why I espouse Tech casting a wider recruiting net. It seems like our recruiting centers upon Georgia, Alabama, and Florida with the occasional outside player. I think Miami has the same problem, they focused so much on local recruiting that they ignore some players that they had a shot on. Big Ben would be an example.

Anytime GT recruits widely/nationally we get blasted for not recruiting instate. This year we've got a kid from Australia, plus I believe several other states. How wide do you want to define redruiting widely?

i think we have always tried to at least work certain areas in other states like Pittsburgh, parts of Ohio, and so on

Anytime GT recruits widely/nationally we get blasted for not recruiting instate. This year we've got a kid from Australia, plus I believe several other states. How wide do you want to define redruiting widely?

The Australian literally fell in our lap, it wasn't active recruiting. I expect about a third of our recruits to come from somewhere other than the Southeast. That's something Al Groh was helping to do (Louis Young, Attouchu, Commissiong). Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina have bad schools that don't prepare athletes for academics and the SAT very well. There is a huge difference between actively recruiting outside the area and just seeing who falls into your lap. We just won't win recruiting battles going head to head against Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, and Auburn for kids who are allowed to get through high school unprepared because of the southern emphasis on football.

you mean the north's relatively superior high school education? "emphasis on football" is a nice euphemism for "let guys play without knowing how to spell their name" and "schools in general suck in the south"

one key is that we need to build real relationships with the schools that do offer a high-level curriculum. noone from Pius, Lovett, Westminster, etc that might be a Tech guy should be getting away from us, at least to give us a good shot at them

I agree that there are good high schools in the south and Georgia. There are good graduates from every high school in Georgia, I am one. However, there is a culture of allowing athletes to not do the academic work and graduating them anyways. From my teaching days, I had an extremely tall middle schooler who simply wouldn't do his work. When I asked him about it and what he planned to do, he just said "I'm going to play basketball". Guess where he is now? He didn't even play in college. Unfortunately, the best athletes in Georgia fit this mold and the schools do them a real disservice in the big picture.

one area that you and i agree on.

btw, i came to Atlanta during 1st grade and went to school in Atlanta 1st-3rd, and 6th-12th grade (4th & 5th in germany), graduating from a public school in n fulton co that no longer exists (now SS middle school and they build centennial, chattahoochee, etc)

one area that you and i agree on.

btw, i came to Atlanta during 1st grade and went to school in Atlanta 1st-3rd, and 6th-12th grade (4th & 5th in germany), graduating from a public school in n fulton co that no longer exists (now SS middle school and they build centennial, chattahoochee, etc)

I moved to rural Georgia in the 10th grade. Fortunately, my foundation had been set by my parents long before I went to school in Georgia.

Miami is DEEEEEEE--STROYING Duke by 25+ with 7:00 to go in second half.

Stupid George Mason...you pay the legendary coach that built your program, and you pay his assistants...you don't let him walk to Miami and then hire Paul Hewitt...

Back