Wish List

Leach or Miles. It does matter unless we allow recruiting flexibility. No coach can win consistently with our talent level. Simple solution, bring back the standards in place in 1960 for Bobby Dodd.

(Edit)Home Run:
Les Miles
Brent Venables
Mike Leach

Solid Hires:
Lane Kiffin
Chris Hatcher
Matt Campbell
Nick Rolovich
Serious question. Why would we want Mike Leach if we don't want Paul Johnson? I like him, but he's basically the passing version of Paul Johnson. It definitely ain't gonna help recruiting.

Venables and Leach are the only two names on that list that aren't seriously depressing. And I don't think we could get Venables.

Why the öööö would we want Les Miles? He got fired from a school with talent that we will never have because he was only winning 8 games there. He's not a good X's and O's coach at all.

what does a realistic list look like?

I can't imagine the GTAA buying out CPJ, paying off a bball coach or two and having any funds towards a new hire. Never mind that I have little confidence that TStan would be able to make a great hire. If GT changes coaches, it is going to be going the young, unproven guy from a smaller school/division route.

Why the öööö would we want Les Miles? He got fired from a school with talent that we will never have because he was only winning 8 games there. He's not a good X's and O's coach at all.
I would take winning 8 games a year consistently with the occasional 10 or 11 win season that he had at LSU. The ACC Coastal is nowhere near as loaded as the SEC west.

I would take winning 8 games a year consistently with the occasional 10 or 11 win season that he had at LSU. The ACC Coastal is nowhere near as loaded as the SEC west.

The SEC West has Bama and....and...and... LSU? Les Miles will not win 8 games with players he could recruit to GT, idiot grass eating coaches do not attract academic scholars.

If a change is made, hard ass defense guy with amazing reputation to help recruit. Hire an option OC or RPO OC. I think going young would be good look. Need a full flip. For some reason, folks in Tally keep whispering the OC ast FSU Walt Bell would be great at GT.

After today, maybe Dino Babers?

Major Applewhite - Houston
Bendenbaugh/Gundy - Oklahoma co-OCs
Bush Hamden - Washington Co-OC/Falcons QB coach
Scott/Elliott - Clemson Co-OCs
Les Miles

Take a flyer on someone like Billy Napier. Someone young, energetic, knows how to recruit, and in search of a Power 5 break.

what does a realistic list look like?

I can't imagine the GTAA buying out CPJ, paying off a bball coach or two and having any funds towards a new hire. Never mind that I have little confidence that TStan would be able to make a great hire. If GT changes coaches, it is going to be going the young, unproven guy from a smaller school/division route.

A realistic list looks like someone from FCS or lower FBS conference. I would suggest:
Charlie Strong (he may be too old now at 58)
Brian Bohannon (CPJ jr.)
Josh Heupel (unproven at HC; but also undefeated)

And I would bet we end up with Bohannon because like you point out we probably can't afford the other 2.

My favorite thing about these dark hours is when otherwise intelligent human beings forget that when you hire a head coach, their previous win-loss record isn't something they bring along with them and install like an offensive system or a coaching staff.

Back