With the three conferences left, ACC, Big 12, and sec

Nebraska going rogue is an interesting idea but my guess is that the conference owns their TV rights.

There was an ESPN article yesterday that confirmed that the conference owns the TV rights and that Nebraska was ending talks about playing independent of the conference.

JRjr

There was an ESPN article yesterday that confirmed that the conference owns the TV rights and that Nebraska was ending talks about playing independent of the conference.

JRjr
I'll take that case. Actually playing football games was certainly a condition subsequent to the assignation of TV rights.

But it looks like the athletics departments at Nebraska and OSU and elsewhere are learning that they're actually not big players on campus. When the academic side of these schools decide to really throw their weight around, the AD's learn just how small a part of the school they are.

I'll take that case. Actually playing football games was certainly a condition subsequent to the assignation of TV rights.

But it looks like the athletics departments at Nebraska and OSU and elsewhere are learning that they're actually not big playTers on campus. When the academic side of these schools decide to really throw their weight around, the AD's learn just how small a part of the school they are.
So in order to assign their TV rights to the conference. the member institution (i.e., Nebraska) would have been relying on the conference to assure there would be athletic events to be televised? If there were no "Big Ten" games allowed by the conference to take place, how does Nebraska regain their TV rights? That might be a tough sell.

There was a pretty good chance that neither the PAC12 nor the B10 was going to make the playoff anyway.

That’s a silly thing to say. They’ve had 5 appearances (over 4 years) between them out of the 6 years of the CFP. There was a very good chance the B1G makes the playoff. Any 11 win conference champ from there would likely make it. That and OSU would have probably been the best team in the country.

P12 by themselves? Yeah, I could buy that. Oregon was the only one with a legit shot.

So in order to assign their TV rights to the conference. the member institution (i.e., Nebraska) would have been relying on the conference to assure there would be athletic events to be televised? If there were no "Big Ten" games allowed by the conference to take place, how does Nebraska regain their TV rights? That might be a tough sell.
First, I need a jury in Lincoln. Second, I don't know anything about the actual language of the grant-of-rights, but there's no way that any school signed up for the grant-of-rights with the understanding that the conference could prevent them from playing football at all. That's not to say – importantly – that any revenue hypothetical OOC Nebraska games generated wouldn't go to the Big 10. But I highly doubt the grant-of-rights prevents Nebraska from playing football.

I have a strong intuition that the reason this isn't happening has nothing to do with the legality of it. It's all political. It would be incredibly embarrassing for the Wisconsins and Penn States and Michigans if Nebraska played games without incident. So they're leaning on Nebraska's decision-makers to stay lock step. Just imagine if Nebraska played, generated millions in TV revenue, and then had to share it with teams that weren't willing to take the risk. The political fall out would be significant and it would have a long term negative effect on conference stability.

All of this just demonstrates why conferences have gotten too big and too powerful. Need to go back to 8-team conferences, based on regional match-ups, and screw TV money. But to do that in a competitive environment implicates collusion and antitrust issues. It could be done, but would require a lot of political will – political will that of course doesn't exist since the AD's and coaches who typically make these decisions are paid ever-increasing salaries from those same TV dollars.

First, I need a jury in Lincoln. Second, I don't know anything about the actual language of the grant-of-rights, but there's no way that any school signed up for the grant-of-rights with the understanding that the conference could prevent them from playing football at all. That's not to say – importantly – that any revenue hypothetical OOC Nebraska games generated wouldn't go to the Big 10. But I highly doubt the grant-of-rights prevents Nebraska from playing football.

I have a strong intuition that the reason this isn't happening has nothing to do with the legality of it. It's all political. It would be incredibly embarrassing for the Wisconsins and Penn States and Michigans if Nebraska played games without incident. So they're leaning on Nebraska's decision-makers to stay lock step. Just imagine if Nebraska played, generated millions in TV revenue, and then had to share it with teams that weren't willing to take the risk. The political fall out would be significant and it would have a long term negative effect on conference stability.

All of this just demonstrates why conferences have gotten too big and too powerful. Need to go back to 8-team conferences, based on regional match-ups, and screw TV money. But to do that in a competitive environment implicates collusion and antitrust issues. It could be done, but would require a lot of political will – political will that of course doesn't exist since the AD's and coaches who typically make these decisions are paid ever-increasing salaries from those same TV dollars.
I agree that the conferences are too big and too powerful already. But I predict MegaConferences are about to be upon us. And they will be the ruination of football as we know it----maybe already happened.

The NCAA has surprisingly little to do with FBS. They make the rules, but that's about it. CFP and bowls handle the championships. Conferences and schools create their regular season schedules. The NCAA chose not to shut down FBS, because it was a decision that was best left to the participating schools and conferences. Now, those conferences and schools are trying to figure out if they can make a go of it. I hope they can.
Of course the NCAA has no control over CFB. That’s why UGA, Bama and Clemson magically sign a bunch of 5 stars every February.

The guy’s got it right, no way was LSU, already playing UF, going to pick up UGA, nor was Bama, already playing UGA, going to pick up UF. Arkansas probably has the toughest schedule among all P5 teams playing this season.

Y’all are missing the point. The SEC is still and always posturing for two teams in the final four. They would never play out of conference, or if they do UGA will be playing Kansas while GT plays Oklahoma.
True fact: we have never played Oklahoma or Oklahoma State

Back