Worst/Best Next Year

It doesn't matter whether we achieve the worst or best case scenario this season because I will still öööö a brick after every loss with the rest of the board. The end result is the same whether we lose two or four.

Wins: Elon, Duke, Alabama A&M
Probable Wins: North Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech
50-50: BYU, Miami (FL)
Probable Loss: Clemson, Georgia

Funny how people think VT is a probable win and we've beaten them once in 5 years. I do like our chances but again it's probably a toss up. Also funny that we've beaten UVA in Charlottesville once since 1990 and everyone every year puts it down as a W.

I see it as:

W's: Elon, Duke, Alabama A&M, North Carolina (because we own them)
L's: UGA and Clemson

Everything else is a toss up to me.

10-2 with possible losses to BYU and Pitt:

BYU comes after a tough road win vs Miami and Pitt plays Navy right before us.

IMO, we will shock UGAG in a very close game.

Vad and a better D will make a huge difference.

GT1992 will take me to task, but I just can't imagine 2013 being anywhere as bad as 2012 was.

2012 Defense was as complete a train wreck as could happen.

I just don't see 2013 as anything close to 2012's mess.

You make a good point on BYU and Pitt but I just can't imagine us winning on the road at Clemson on Thursday night or beating this UGA team. This is going to be a very good UGA team and we've struggled mightily one the road at Clemson, winning 2 out of the last 6 with one of them being a miracle.

worst: team plane crash
best: 14-0 and SGA_Jacket (non-fatal and non-news worthy) plane crash

Elon had 1 player drafted; we had 0. That one might not be a guaranteed win. For historical reference, see MTSU 2012. :turbonoes: :lol:

Worst case is probably 4 wins. I can't see us losing to Elon or Bama A&M. In a worse case we'd beat only 2 of Duke, Syracuse, Pitt, Uva, and UNC. I can't see us losing four or five of those.

I think best case is going 11-1 (just talking regular season). We pretty much have one stumbling block every year. Ironic enough, I think our best case is we'd stumble at BYU, but then put it together and get rolling by the end of the season. I don't see us being able to be undefeated going into Clemson, especially with a young QB. We are down to have a let down here or there, having it come against one of the better teams in the middle of the schedule would be ideal from a W-L standpoint (you don't want it to come against Miami (again), UNC, or Syracuse and have those games be losses).

Elon had 1 player drafted; we had 0. That one might not be a guaranteed win. For historical reference, see MTSU 2012. :turbonoes: :lol:

Except Elon is FCS and went 3-8 last year. That one NFL dude was the only reason they won those 3 games. MTSU is at least FBS.

Best case:
We go 14-0 and vad wins the heisman and we stomp USC in a rematch in the national championship game.. recruiting skyrockets and we land 8 five star guys for 2014 NSD

Worst case:
we go 0-14 vad gets career ending injury and JT sucks and we're stuck with him for 4 more years under a new coach and we have to drop down to FCS to compete

It doesn't matter whether we achieve the worst or best case scenario this season because I will still öööö a brick after every loss with the rest of the board. The end result is the same whether we lose two or four.

Would you rather öööö two bricks or four?

I find it hard to believe we will lose to BYU again.

We play there. It is hard for an east coast team to play at that altitude.

Their game before ours is a Friday, so they have an extra day to prepare. Meanwhile, I believe we are getting into exam season.

Hope you are right, but it will not be a slam dunk win.

Even the pessimists are optimists ITT. The worst case is 2 wins. Which means we open conference & FBS play with a loss to Duke's new triple option.

Best case is 13-1, because even if we demolish our schedule and the ACC, we're not beating Alabama, sorry.

Absolutely possible.

5-3 in acc( 5-0 in division)

L in acccg, no bowl bid.

So the worst case scenario is making the ACCCG? Seems a bit of a stretch to say that the worst possible season would end in us playing in a game to get to the orange bowl.

Funny how people think VT is a probable win and we've beaten them once in 5 years. I do like our chances but again it's probably a toss up. Also funny that we've beaten UVA in Charlottesville once since 1990 and everyone every year puts it down as a W.

I see it as:

W's: Elon, Duke, Alabama A&M, North Carolina (because we own them)
L's: UGA and Clemson

Everything else is a toss up to me.
So you think Vegas will favor VT and UVA in those games?

CPJ is 1-1 in Charlottesville and 1-1 in Atlanta against VT.

Worst case: 4-8, ST meltdown

Best case: 8-4, ST meltdown

So the worst case scenario is making the ACCCG? Seems a bit of a stretch to say that the worst possible season would end in us playing in a game to get to the orange bowl.

Just commenting on the possibility of 5-8.

I'm not sure if a sizable minority here wouldn't have prefered 7-6 last year over 7-7.

Reality Check: We're not as bad as some of you seem to think. In our losses to Miami, MTSU, and CU last year, we scored 36, 28, and 31 points. With a defense with a pulse, we should have been 10-4 last year. We lost to VPI by 3pts in overtime because our D gave up that last minute score in regulation. An 11-3 season last year would've been completely reasonable.

Moreover, we have every reason to expect a better D this year. Ignoring the D-performance against BOTH FSU and USC as just being the result of those offenses under-performing seems overly pessimistic to me. Also Roof has led great D turn-arounds at Duke and Minnesota. He kept a very good D as a very good D at Penn State. His D's at Auburn weren't great, but his worst D in 2011 was much better than Van Gorder's last year.

Our Offense should be better this year and certainly won't slide off much from last year. In other words, I can't see us being a worse team than the one that should've had 10 or 11 wins last year.

imo, the worst part of our schedule this year is the @d'oh U and @BYU back to back, especially right after VPI. If we played @BYU at any other time in our schedule, I agree with ibee that we shouldn't lose to them again. However, we haven't won in Miami since CPJ's been our coach. Either outcome in that game threatens emotional carry-over into BYU, not to mention that it'll probably be around midterms.

Worst: 8-4
I don't see us losing more than 2 ACC games (and I think winning them all is better than even). BYU and U[sic]GA both showed that they could keep our O from scoring last year, so I don't think we're favorites there.

Best: 10-2
As I've said, the two biggest question marks imo are U[sic]Ga and BYU. BYU shut us down, but that's the sort of loss CPJ typically doesn't let happen twice. We were able to move the ball early on U[sic]Ga but couldn't punch it in. If we have a decent short-field passing game, and a Defense that can get one or two stops, we might be able to change that. So I don't think either of those games should be seen as a complete write-off.

However, I don't think we're deep enough to run the table. I think we'll lose at least two. It could be BYU and U[sic]Ga, but it could be Syracuse and VPI.

Wild Cards:
1) Ted Roof: He was just in a 14-0 FBS locker room in 2010. He knows what they look like and may be helpful in keeping the right emotional pitch.
2) Vad Lee: Unlike TW and JN, Vad's an emotional, extrovert QB. He seems to be a team-guy but also a put-the-team on his back guy. He might be able to will some extra wins, see Tim Tebow.
3) Justin Thomas: Haven't seen enough to know his personality, but he seems like another quiet leader. However, he's also reportedly got break-out potential as both a runner and a passer. He might turn out to be a guy who can just get the job done, see Cam Newton (obviously not in exactly the same way given the size differential).

Back