Would a mew AD order Chan Gailey to bring in a new Offensive Coordinator.....

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
Then I would be in favor of 1) giving Dave Braine his walking papers and 2) allowing Chan Gailey to keep his job. I should say a new AD should do the hiring of an offensive coordinator. Either that or resign. Would anyone who reads this board and is a serious fan of Georgia Tech football and loves the school have a negative vote for that? Feburarys decision by Gailey to bring in Buddy Geis and promote Patrick Nix have resulted in the most abominable rankings for a Georgia Tech offense I can ever recall. There is nothing about this offense that even remotely suggest that they are on the cusp of becoming a sound offensive football team. A new AD could solve our problem here by taking the position out of Gaileys hand and hand picking someone who is young and is building solid and exciting credentials at the college level. Demanding that Gailey compromise on this one aspect of his program or resign is a sensible move in that his steps to correct the problems of last year have taking a steep downhill turn for the worse. At least I am willing to compromise my standing position that Gailey must go by taking this route instead of just standing here screaming over and over that Gailey must resign or be discharged.

I agree SLJ, we need changes now not tomorrow, or next month now and Braine should be the 1st to go. Then lets get a coach who demand and expects excellence.

I agree SLJ, we need changes now not tomorrow, or next month now and Braine should be the 1st to go. Then lets get a coach who demands and expects excellence.

Stateline, you have now jumped off the cliff. That is absolutely the worst post you have ever made. It is absolutely illogical.

Fire the coach if you have to, but it would be the ultimate worst decision for the AD to hire the assistants for the coach. Each coach has his own method of coaching and must have the ability to surround himself with the type of assistants he requires.

If he cannot get it done with his assistants, he either replaces them or loses his job.

Beam me up Scotty!

spacecraft.gif

stateline,

Chan is an abominable failure as on offensive co-ordinator.

He was a failure last year, too, but the FOCers decided to use Bill O'Brien as a scapegoat...(which was predicted in advance wayyy before the season started...check the archives.)

Now, Chan is flying solo and the FOCers are scrambling for more excuses and scapegoats.

We need to let Chan show his offensive talent (or LACK thereof) without someone else involved to scapegoat for his lack of performance.

You saw the TRUE Chan Gailey offense Saturday night against klimpsum.

Give me Bill O'Brien ANYDAY.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Stateline, you have now jumped off the cliff. That is absolutely the worst post you have ever made. It is absolutely illogical.

Fire the coach if you have to, but it would be the ultimate worst decision for the AD to hire the assistants for the coach. Each coach has his own method of coaching and must have the ability to surround himself with the type of assistants he requires.

If he cannot get it done with his assistants, he either replaces them or loses his job.

Beam me up Scotty!

spacecraft.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Happens all the time...college football, pro football, major league baseball....who you think forced Frank Solich at Nebraska to fire BOTH his OC and DC. Who you think picked Bobby Cox's assistant coaches...Cox or John Schuerholz? Oh I know at the college level the head coach at least gets the initial chance to pick his assistants. But in situations like ours and Nebraskas the head coach can and should get his hand forced. Give Gailey the option of choosing a OC if you must but if the decision does not change the direction the offense is heading the new AD could nix it and then make the decision for him. Noticed how all these NFL head coaches that demanded the final say over making roster selections are losing this say so? Mike Holmgren in Seattle is the latest. Dan Reeves last year. They are not shopping for the groceries anymore. Ahso this is logical...Gailey has got an ego...subtle but he has one and it has got in the way of his running this football team by thinking he and he alone knows how to get the most out of his teams offense and he is wrong. Do you think Ron Zook at Florida changed DC's without a little persuasion? Only the firmly established head coaches...the Phil Fulmers...Mack Browns...Bob Stoops...Joe Paternos and Bobby Bowdens have the clout to hold onto assistants that otherwise might have already been sent packing. Baby Bowden the F$U OC is the clearcut example here.

Originally posted by beeware:
stateline,

Chan is an abominable failure as on offensive co-ordinator.

He was a failure last year, too, but the FOCers decided to use Bill O'Brien as a scapegoat...(which was predicted in advance wayyy before the season started...check the archives.)

Now, Chan is flying solo and the FOCers are scrambling for more excuses and scapegoats.

We need to let Chan show his offensive talent (or LACK thereof) without someone else involved to scapegoat for his lack of performance.

You saw the TRUE Chan Gailey offense Saturday night against klimpsum.

Give me Bill O'Brien ANYDAY.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Billy O'Brien was on my mind as I was replying to Ahso...that O'Brien was kept on Tech's coaching staff as OC was Dave Braine's idea or was a directive to Gailey. What went wrong there was O'Brien was giving basically no authority or confidence to continue running the offense Ralph Friedgen and him had run so successfully. The conflict between Gailey and O"Brien is evident and Billy leaving Tech immeadiatly after signing day for Maryland was the firsr step to what we have on our hands today...the worst Tech offense I have ever seen.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
[qb] Do you think Ron Zook at Florida changed DC's without a little persuasion? Only the firmly established head coaches...the Phil Fulmers...Mack Browns...Bob Stoops...Joe Paternos and Bobby Bowdens have the clout to hold onto assistants that otherwise might have already been sent packing. Baby Bowden the F$U OC is the clearcut example here.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The only persuasion Zook had was that John Thompson became head coach at ECU.
Thanks for paying attention

Originally posted by GTg8r:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by statelinejacket:
[qb] Do you think Ron Zook at Florida changed DC's without a little persuasion? Only the firmly established head coaches...the Phil Fulmers...Mack Browns...Bob Stoops...Joe Paternos and Bobby Bowdens have the clout to hold onto assistants that otherwise might have already been sent packing. Baby Bowden the F$U OC is the clearcut example here.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The only persuasion Zook had was that John Thompson became head coach at ECU.
Thanks for paying attention
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My mistake then....no use being such a smartass about it. The perception is that the DC was pushed out...not the first time in college or pro sports that has happen either.

Originally posted by techsamillion:
No.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No...by this you mean he and staff is in or out depending on this seasons success or the lack of...hey I can buy that. Or are you saying no...you are giving Gailey another year or three under the current setup. Can't swallow that with without it being shoved down my throat.

Stateline, I have never heard of an AD in college choosing the assistants for a head coach. Yes, I can see an AD telling a coach, "everyone can see your xxxxxxx coach is not producing. Either you choose a new one or out you go".

I can see the above scenario, but not the AD choosing the assistant.

I can see the AD recommending keeping assistants when a new coach arrives or recommending canning assistants when the new coach arrives. I am convinced this happened with Tech, Braine, and Gailey, but Gailey had the final say-so on the deal.

Father Time

Stateline, you asked an honest, thoughtful question.
I (hope) I answered honestly, and thougtfully.

YOu then responded in a gentlemanly, Tech fashion.
Agree or disagree: Thanks.

Stateline, I have never heard of an AD in college choosing the assistants for a head coach. Yes, I can see an AD telling a coach, "everyone can see your xxxxxxx coach is not producing. Either you choose a new one or out you go".

I can see the above scenario, but not the AD choosing the assistant.

I can see the AD recommending keeping assistants when a new coach arrives or recommending canning assistants when the new coach arrives. I am convinced this happened with Tech, Braine, and Gailey, but Gailey had the final say-so on the deal.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Who in the hell do you think hired Tenuta?? It certainly wasnt Gailey. Dont you think that Tenuta's position coach (Braine) had just a little to do with it. I agree though. You dont want an AD like that. We have one. Get him out and maybe we can have a clean slate from which everyone including Gailey can start from. Seriously.

Head coaches fire coordinators all the time to save their skin. I'd be willing to wager that ADs are often behind those moves.

As for Gailey, I don't think he can afford to hire a new offensive coordinator. He took over the reigns and giving them up at any point would be an embarrasment to a man who's career has been as offensive coordinator. Not only would it be an embarrassment, it might diminish his reputation and hurt his chances of getting coaching jobs if Tech doesn't work out for him. Since he has not managed to endear himself to much of the fanbase, he has to seriously consider post-Tech options as he might not be popular enough to survive a bad year or two. I think Chan put himself in a position where he has to sink or swim as OC.

imho,(often wrong, by the way) nathogt, I think that if the season is a bust, the Chan will seriously consider hiring a top-notch O.C.
I think we have a few weeks before this becomes critical.

Originally posted by techsamillion:
imho,(often wrong, by the way) nathogt, I think that if the season is a bust, the Chan will seriously consider hiring a top-notch O.C.
I think we have a few weeks before this becomes critical.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You mean when the line on the monitor actually goes flat like this_________________________?

Gnome, I doubt seriously Braine made Gailey take Tenuta. I am sure I know where you got your information, but I am willing to bet it is not correct.

I am willing to bet Gailey made the final decision and had a choice to reject him if he did not want him.

Father Time

Gnome, I doubt seriously Braine made Gailey take Tenuta. I am sure I know where you got your information, but I am willing to bet it is not correct.

I am willing to bet Gailey made the final decision and had a choice to reject him if he did not want him.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">My point was really that it was a good hire, but Braine was the one who got him-there werent too many coaches at that point knocking down Gailey's door at that time of the year. Tenuta and what's his face at UNC hated each other's guts. But, if Braine had hired a coach worth a darn-there would be coaches wanting to knock the door down to work here. That is what you want in the next coach that is hired in a little more than a year from now.

Statelinejacket said
Happens all the time...college football, pro football, major league baseball....who you think forced Frank Solich at Nebraska to fire BOTH his OC and DC
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">And tell me again why Bobby Ross left San Diego??

Back