Yates gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barring injury, it looks like a year on the bench then.
Their QB room is crazy. Six on the roster without Yates. The backup is a Junior transfer who won POW when he subbed for the injured starter last year and was Patriot League ROY the year before. Plus 2 Sophomores and 2 Freshman (one is Jarod Evans' (VT) brother transferring in from Army).

Probably better to be backup for a season anyway, since he won't be practicing with the new team until fall camp. That would be a lot of pressure to absorb a new playbook and develop player and coach relationships over the summer as a new starter.

They are playing FCS this year anyway, right? So Yates would be competing to be the starter in their first two years of FBS ball.

Given his track record, He’ll probably complete his masters pretty quickly and have a shot at playing somewhere else down the line, if he wants to. Definitely maximizing his time in college thus far.

Yates should have been starting from day one over Sims. Sims has shown nothing consistently, accomplished nothing, and did not look good in the spring game. As a day one starter it is not hard to think Yates would have been one of the top QB's in the ACC going into this upcoming season. But, the used car saleman though otherwise. Hopefully, Wenke can turn Sims into that upper level ACC QB as a total package that can run and PASS.

Kinda weird for folks to discount the possibility that Yates could win a QB competition against a bunch of FCS players. Yet, half the board thought he should have been starting over Sims.
Perhaps it's the other half that are discounting it. I think he has a shot, but you can't discount the fact that they have an incumbent that has a resume - 50-4, 21-1 in his last 22 with a Natty). It certainly doesn't hurt that their OC was on the Texans coaching staff with Uncle T.J..

They are playing FCS this year anyway, right? So Yates would be competing to be the starter in their first two years of FBS ball.

Given his track record, He’ll probably complete his masters pretty quickly and have a shot at playing somewhere else down the line, if he wants to. Definitely maximizing his time in college thus far.
From what I understand, they moved up to FBS for ‘21 season and played in WAC. Guess they didn’t like that, so now are moving to Conference USA.

From what I understand, they moved up to FBS for ‘21 season and played in WAC. Guess they didn’t like that, so now are moving to Conference USA.

No, the WAC dropped football years ago when they got raided by other conferences and then reinstated it but in FCS.

Yates should have been starting from day one over Sims. Sims has shown nothing consistently, accomplished nothing, and did not look good in the spring game. As a day one starter it is not hard to think Yates would have been one of the top QB's in the ACC going into this upcoming season. But, the used car saleman though otherwise. Hopefully, Wenke can turn Sims into that upper level ACC QB as a total package that can run and PASS.
I don't believe this at all. The UNC was night and day between the first half and second half. 100-0 in the last 2 games is pretty telling as well.

Yates should have been starting from day one over Sims. Sims has shown nothing consistently, accomplished nothing, and did not look good in the spring game. As a day one starter it is not hard to think Yates would have been one of the top QB's in the ACC going into this upcoming season.
What? Yates was totally overmatched. He started 5 games against teams not named Kennesaw State, and we didn't score a touchdown in 4 of them. The comparison of Yates/Sims performance wasn't even close.

I don't believe this at all. The UNC was night and day between the first half and second half. 100-0 in the last 2 games is pretty telling as well.
Even if Sims plays, those two games are still ass beatings.
Bear in mind, Gibbs played about 15 seconds against Georgia. That hurt just as much as anything.
Plus, it was our leaky O line against Notre Dame's front 7, which was good, and Georgia's 7, which ate up our O line and spit it back out. Do you really think Sims would have done significantly better?

Then as it was, then again it will be
And though the course may change sometimes
Rivers always reach the sea
Blind stars of fortune, each have several rays
On the wings of maybe, down in birds of prey
Kind of makes me feel sometimes, didn't have to grow
But as the eagle leaves the nest, it's got so far to go

Ten Yates Gone

I agree. My concern is that it appears he has a hard time making a decision or reading the defense. Going into year three, I am worried, however if Sims breaks out it could show that CDP was out of his league. If Sims struggles Long and Weinke should be able to sit Sims fairly early in the season.

He's transferring as a grad student with a degree in Business Administration with three years of eligibility remaining. It's more likely that he'll get his MBA and an MS in Sports Management.
I sit corrected.

Even if Sims plays, those two games are still ass beatings.
Bear in mind, Gibbs played about 15 seconds against Georgia. That hurt just as much as anything.
Plus, it was our leaky O line against Notre Dame's front 7, which was good, and Georgia's 7, which ate up our O line and spit it back out. Do you really think Sims would have done significantly better?

Yes. Had Sims played our output would have been > 0 points.

He’s transferring to the University of Nowhere. Friendly advice to all GT football players: If you cannot earn playing time on our roster, you need a good college diploma. Because your chances of earning a living playing football are almost zero.

He’s transferring to the University of Nowhere. Friendly advice to all GT football players: If you cannot earn playing time on our roster, you need a good college diploma. Because your chances of earning a living playing football are almost zero.

He is finishing his GT degree right now. I suspect he will go into coaching. He's been around football all his life and is a great leader and very smart kid; just doesn't have the arm for the highest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back