Yates gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
What killed our program was "ripping the bandaid off" and all the other conman pitches you guys got duped into....and apparently still believe.

No, what killed our program was a stupid scheme that gave us tiny chop-blocking OL, no QBs who could throw and no WRs...and swiss-cheese defense every year.

Guys like you loved it because "OMG look at our Total Rushing yards LOL!!" even as we were falling further and further behind every other program in the ACC.

That Clown Coach has completely bottomed us out and appears in every sense of the words to be an 'unmitigated disaster' as HC DOES NOT mean that we needed to stick with that archaic crap known as the TO.

Go watch Kenn St fercrissakes.

That Clown Coach has completely bottomed us out and appears in every sense of the words to be an 'unmitigated disaster' as HC DOES NOT mean that we needed to stick with that archaic crap known as the TO.
Some people cannot get past when is so apparent to anyone even casually following our program.

The TO had a ceiling average of about 7.5 wins per season. We were likely to never be able to compete with the elite programs going forward.

We traded for a scheme where we ran something more conventional based on multiple different aspects- we'd recruit Top 25 consistently, the scheme would be more appealing to recruits & prospective coaches, etc. Just because we hired brainless idiots to launch this transition does not make the argument to switch invalid. There's just a trio that still needs the hook.

We just need to get on with business & clean house, not continue to punish the program by quadrupling down on a horse that will never come in anything besides last place. Every single day we wait just prolongs the recovery by atleast 2 days, maybe more. Wait another season & we'll cost ourselves at least 2 seasons. It's not IF, it's when does it finally get so painful that nobody including the most ardent supporters finally force change.

Criers this is your cue to enter stage left. Time to wet yourselves.

No, what killed our program was a stupid scheme that gave us tiny chop-blocking OL, no QBs who could throw and no WRs...and swiss-cheese defense every year.

Guys like you loved it because "OMG look at our Total Rushing yards LOL!!" even as we were falling further and further behind every other program in the ACC.

Go watch Kenn St fercrissakes.
2 Orange Bowls in 5 years

The TO had a ceiling average of about 7.5 wins per season. We were likely to never be able to compete with the elite programs going forward.
I agree with the rest of your post, but this "ceiling average" makes no sense. 5 of CPJ's 11 seasons were 8 or more wins, so clearly 7.5 wins is not a ceiling. It could be an average, which is pretty inline with Tech's historical average if not slightly above, but calling it a ceiling average just sounds like you want to cap expected wins at 7.5 and say the TO likely can only do that or worse unless there is a fluke.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this "ceiling average" makes no sense. 5 of CPJ's 11 seasons were 8 or more wins, so clearly 7.5 wins is not a ceiling. It could be an average, which is pretty inline with Tech's historical average if not slightly above, but calling it a ceiling average just sounds like you want to cap expected wins at 7.5 and say the TO likely can only do that or worse unless there is a fluke.
What I was intending to say was over time CPJ would average about 7.5 wins per year, yes about the GT average since mid-80's. Some good years (8-11 wins), some bad years (3-5 wins) and a bunch of mediocre years (6-7 wins). You want to call it a cap, ok, but IIWII.

ATL equivalent to the NFL active squad. We definitely have starters and second string

Not surprisingly, you don't know what you are talking about.

Since he was first asked about depth charts and two-deeps, Georgia Tech head coach Geoff Collins has insisted that he doesn't believe in them. He coaches his student-athletes to be ABOVE THE LINE (ATL). Those who are ATL are ready to play and can see game action, while others work to get to that level. In place of a traditional depth chart that often omits some student-athletes who see game action and lists others who seldom enter the game,

ATL-NIU.pdf (ramblinwreck.com)

The quote above is from our official 'Above the Line' chart from last season which is posted in place of a depth chart.

2021 Football Game Notes / Depth Charts — Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (ramblinwreck.com)

Some people cannot get past when is so apparent to anyone even casually following our program.

We traded for a scheme where we ran something more conventional based on multiple different aspects- we'd recruit Top 25 consistently, the scheme would be more appealing to recruits & prospective coaches, etc. Just because we hired brainless idiots to launch this transition does not make the argument to switch invalid. There's just a trio that still needs the hook.

We just need to get on with business & clean house, not continue to punish the program by quadrupling down on a horse that will never come in anything besides last place. Every single day we wait just prolongs the recovery by atleast 2 days, maybe more. Wait another season & we'll cost ourselves at least 2 seasons. It's not IF, it's when does it finally get so painful that nobody including the most ardent supporters finally force change.

Criers this is your cue to enter stage left. Time to wet yourselves.

I won't argue to bring back the TO or any of its derivatives at this point; but I will argue that the TO is not what killed our program. Transitioning away from the triple option could have been done much more smoothly that what we are going through. I think if CGC and Pdope had come in right behind Gailey, O'leary, or Ross, we would still have become a losing program. CGC and Pdope might have gotten 7-8 wins their first season; but it would have steadily become a dumpster fire from there, it just would have taken longer maybe.

Last edited:
I won't argue to bring back the TO or any of its derivatives at this point; but I will argue that the TO is not what killed or program. Transitioning away from the triple option could have been done much more smoothly that what we are going through. I think if CGC and Pdope had come in right behind Gailey, O'leary, or Ross, we would still have become a losing program. CGC and Pdope might have gotten 7-8 wins their first season; but it would have steadily become a dumpster fire from there, it just would have taken longer maybe.
I'm not saying it killed our program. I'm just saying it's a 7.5 win per year average program. I'd have never traded down like we did. If you weren't ready to go a different direction, just hold on until you could would have been the better move.

Just about anyone can make a case for what we're doing now is the recipe for killing a program. Having someone in charge that basically doesn't know what he's doing & not being completely surrounded by people who do is what is a program killer. Whether we got enough now to keep the program on life support is the big question this year.

But we got some of the dumbest ADs known to man since Homer retired.

I'm not saying it killed our program. I'm just saying it's a 7.5 win per year average program. I'd have never traded down like we did. If you weren't ready to go a different direction, just hold on until you could would have been the better move.

Just about anyone can make a case for what we're doing now is the recipe for killing a program. Having someone in charge that basically doesn't know what he's doing & not being completely surrounded by people who do is what is a program killer. Whether we got enough now to keep the program on life support is the big question this year.

But we got some of the dumbest ADs known to man since Homer retired.

I hope we have more than just enough to keep us on life support. I actually hope Long & Weinke can help salvage this mess into a bowl eligible team. I can put up with CGC's schtick if he can start winning with it. I just have doubts he makes it past this coming season though.

Football threads devolving into pro TO/CPJ vs. anti TO/CPJ are as predictable as the TDS crowd in N&P transforming those threads into unreadable pro and anti DJT manure.

Nothing has “killed the program.”

We have been set back by some pitiful talent left by the previous regime and a HC that can recruit but has thus far struggled in hiring and managing staff.

Last edited:
Nothing has “killed the program.”

We have been set back by some pitiful talent left by the previous regime and a HC that can recruit but has thus far struggled in hiring and managing staff.
All this we had no talent drivel is a bunch of BS. We needed to coach the players up not allow them to regress. We became an undisciplined team overnight with all the extracurricular crap, we had no idea what we were trying to do on offense because we hired a lame OC nobody else wanted, we gambled on a DC for some reason which we'll blame was $$ related and we went hiched our wagon to Key who brings nothing to the table but the ability to groom OL for bullfighting. We made some really bad choices, got results that were not really unexpected & used the built-in "lack of talent" and Rona excuses to buy them extra years of employment.

We could have transitioned in a rational fashion building off our strengths, but we had to execute the dumbest strategy imaginable by trying to force schemes on a team without having a framework, foundation or any semblance of a developmental process that had any chance of being successful. The old regime didn't get shutout 2 games in a row and get shellacked to the tune of 100 pts. We've had historically bad losses & our record the last 3 years is all-time bad. There's barely a record in futility this regime has not smashed yet. We had NFL capable players on our team, but outside of Gibbs they looked so pathetic you'd have never guessed it. That's not on the players, that's on the staff 100%.

Year 7 you guys will still be looking back at the old regime and blaming them for everything because this clown has nothing. All he's got is excuses.

I had a bad time freezing my a** off watching GT get curb-stomped by Iowa at the 2010 Orange Bowl where the TO amassed a whopping 143 total rushing yards.
It's a lot better now we're so optimistic at possibly winning a whopping 4 games and staying out of the cellar in the ACC. We don't have to spend money on New Year's bowls or any bowl for that matter or worry about whether we can jam the ACC Championship game into our busy schedules. We just pack the season in the last week of September each year when the handwriting's on the wall. We're Vandy except some of the fanbase still cares.

Followed by 2 losing seasons.
Blind pigs find acorns too.

I just realized that CGC has had just as many losing seasons as CPJ, CGC just skipped to Orange Bowl appearances. Maybe it is time you showed the blind pig where the acorns are. Some of us are hoping this new system that all the fans love will break the 3 win ceiling this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back