Yates gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wasp

Varsity Lurker
Unless he goes to FCS I am not sure his career is going anywhere. If you get the chance to play for a three win Georgia Tech team, don't expect to do much better going to a Power 5 team other than to be a backup. His best bet might have been to see who the new OC is and wait until Collins is gone.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
Unless he goes to FCS I am not sure his career is going anywhere. If you get the chance to play for a three win Georgia Tech team, don't expect to do much better going to a Power 5 team other than to be a backup. His best bet might have been to see who the new OC is and wait until Collins is gone.
He makes good decisions, generally, and is fairly accurate. He does not have eye popping arm strength. He is a decent, but not exceptional runner.

He couldn’t crack the starting lineup here, but perhaps with different coaching he could do better. He is probably better than the Syracuse QB.

But even being a solid backup, he could land at a lot of good academic schools and get a free masters plus expand his coaching contacts.

gtphd

What a time to be alive
Or he graduates with a Tech degree, goes someplace like Northwestern as a backup, graduates in 2 years and goes to someplace like Duke and earns another MS. Then he starts his career with GT+Northwestern+Duke degrees earned completely free.

Skydog

Eat a Peach
this
Long time Division 2 power. Recently moved up to Division 1. Spent one year in WAC, now moving to Conference USA.
we need a group of 5 playoff. kind of like NIT. within framework of bowls possibly. could be ton of fun.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Sam Houston State has a red-shirt senior 1st team All-WAC QB returning who is 50-4 as a starter.
Well, Yates has 3 years of eligibility, so if he doesn't beat that guy out or drive him into the portal, he could still get his chance.

This player portal with no penalty is BS. It’s going to hurt CFB. What a clown show circus.
Yates is graduating from GT in May, so he would not have to sit out under the old system as a grad transfer.

ricejacket

Damn Good Rat
Sam Houston is a good/great FCS program that is going to go to CUSA. Nice landing spot for him

Jmonty71

Flats Noob
Best of luck to Yates. I'm sure he will do well. We are now 100% invested on Sims? I like the talent. He has skills, that cannot be argued. However; his field awareness is not the best. If his football IQ and field awareness improves, he would make us a contender.. or at least a threat to win most games. I get football has 2 sides and if the D gives up tons of points, it doesn't matter. However; as my old coach used to say, if they don't have the ball, they can't score. (that's usually true, turnovers and INT's aside)...

jacket67

Dodd-Like
Probably better to be backup for a season anyway, since he won't be practicing with the new team until fall camp. That would be a lot of pressure to absorb a new playbook and develop player and coach relationships over the summer as a new starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.