Yates: Ride or Die...for now

Neither quarterback has all the tools. Yates is more solid. Sims has more upside. Hopefully Peery is the ultimate solution.
We need to add another QB. either a recruit or a transfer. After this season, Beatty will be gone leaving us with a max of 3 QB's.

Neither quarterback has all the tools. Yates is more solid. Sims has more upside. Hopefully Peery is the ultimate solution.
We need to add another QB. either a recruit or a transfer. After this season, Beatty will be gone leaving us with a max of 3 QB's.
Peery is 4th string right now. That ain’t so promising being behind some 1 yr won’t really ever play dude unless both Sims and Yates are hurt at same time. Nobody could/should expect him to start, but damn he should be sniffing 3rd string and there should be talk of him being a starter sometime down the road. There’s crickets.

Sims was available today. Yates earned the start because of his play the last two games and I assume his play in practice. I fully expect we would have seen Sims today in the second half if Clemson started pulling away but that didn’t happen. Yates was playing very well and you’re just not going to change QBs in that situation.

Sims is Collins recruit. But if he trusted Yates over Sims against Clemson then obviously even he thinks Yates earned it. I was getting frustrated during the game and thought maybe Sims needs to come in so we can see if we can get in the end zone. But the fact of the matter is like BioJacket said, it wouldn’t have mattered. Yates had very little window of opportunity to make a throw every down and I think he made the best of it. This was an immense experience for Jordan and unless he’s injured or starts throwing interceptions left and right, he gets to keep the job he earned.

Sims is Collins recruit. But if he trusted Yates over Sims against Clemson then obviously even he thinks Yates earned it. I was getting frustrated during the game and thought maybe Sims needs to come in so we can see if we can get in the end zone. But the fact of the matter is like BioJacket said, it wouldn’t have mattered. Yates had very little window of opportunity to make a throw every down and I think he made the best of it. This was an immense experience for Jordan and unless he’s injured or starts throwing interceptions left and right, he gets to keep the job he earned.
I think Yates played a hell of a game given the circumstances. We look like a different team with him in the game.

I’m as big of a sims fan as anyone and I don’t think that a bad half of football to open the season should lose him the starting job he earned over the offseason.

but I also don’t think you can pull Yates now given that he has come in for injury and played well. If Yates has a bad few series, I’d look for a quick hook to get Sims back in with a chance to secure the job.

To be honest he should of been pulled the series before he was hurt.

So you're saying that Sims should be pulled in Qtr1 of the first game for some overthrows, but you totally ignored the critical overthrows Yates had vs Clemson

We called a different game vs Clemson , we went with quick out passes , dink & dunk and we milked the play clock down to under 8 seconds for each snap to keep the Game close, with Sims in there we have never played close to the vest like that

With Sims we have always played with a rip-the-bandaid-off-mentality so we could see how far we have to go to run our real offense the way Pnode wants it run

This why we were able to move down the field, short safe throws and then when in the RZ those short safe throws disappear and we were in the same situation as with Sims, no TDs attempting FGs

Based on your original comment, you think QBs should be pulled halfway thru a Qtr after a few errant passes?

Just say you never liked Sims for whatever reason, and you always preferred Yates, my theory is that Yates forces us to play "small ball" and you are one of those Fans that doesn't think that GT can succeed playing the same way everyone else does , so you feel more comfortable with a guy that forces us to play "small ball"

Yates has solidified his PT, I admit that with no hesitation ,so why even mention Sims at all

Once everyone watches the Clemson Film, they are going to start squatting on underneath Routes and will force Yates to go for longer Routes requiring longer & better protection from our OLine , plus other QBs are going to put more points on the Board than Clemson's NIL Dr Pepper QB

UNC scored 59 yesterday on a Broncho Mendenhall Team, so they are hitting their groove on Off and Pitt had 6 TD passes in a loss, so going forward Yates won't be able to be protected by burn the clock conservative play calling, then we can make an apples to apples comparison with our QBs

Did it ever cross your mind that one reason we lost is that we never made them play "honest and loose" because Yates never attacked them deep and stretched the field? (of course this could be wrong) my point is you have to analyze all aspects of a game instead taking the easy way out with that QB should be pulled, or the OC blew the call there

Back