Yates: Ride or Die...for now

So you're saying that Sims should be pulled in Qtr1 of the first game for some overthrows, but you totally ignored the critical overthrows Yates had vs Clemson

We called a different game vs Clemson , we went with quick out passes , dink & dunk and we milked the play clock down to under 8 seconds for each snap to keep the Game close, with Sims in there we have never played close to the vest like that

With Sims we have always played with a rip-the-bandaid-off-mentality so we could see how far we have to go to run our real offense the way Pnode wants it run

This why we were able to move down the field, short safe throws and then when in the RZ those short safe throws disappear and we were in the same situation as with Sims, no TDs attempting FGs

Based on your original comment, you think QBs should be pulled halfway thru a Qtr after a few errant passes?

Just say you never liked Sims for whatever reason, and you always preferred Yates, my theory is that Yates forces us to play "small ball" and you are one of those Fans that doesn't think that GT can succeed playing the same way everyone else does , so you feel more comfortable with a guy that forces us to play "small ball"

Yates has solidified his PT, I admit that with no hesitation ,so why even mention Sims at all

Once everyone watches the Clemson Film, they are going to start squatting on underneath Routes and will force Yates to go for longer Routes requiring longer & better protection from our OLine , plus other QBs are going to put more points on the Board than Clemson's NIL Dr Pepper QB

UNC scored 59 yesterday on a Broncho Mendenhall Team, so they are hitting their groove on Off and Pitt had 6 TD passes in a loss, so going forward Yates won't be able to be protected by burn the clock conservative play calling, then we can make an apples to apples comparison with our QBs

Did it ever cross your mind that one reason we lost is that we never made them play "honest and loose" because Yates never attacked them deep and stretched the field? (of course this could be wrong) my point is you have to analyze all aspects of a game instead taking the easy way out with that QB should be pulled, or the OC blew the call there
Why do you want sims in there so bad.. we would have had 2-3 turnovers and the score wouldn’t have been close at all. I guarantee it

If you can't see that Yates plays better at the position, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yates plays like a QB. Sims plays like an experiment.

Also Sims would have been good for two INTs and maybe a fumble.
When Sims kicked Louisville's ass last year or Duke's or when he beat FSU, were you calling for him to be pulled?
I don't want to pull Yates, but you have no idea how the game would have turned out with Sims at QB. Stronger arm, faster. Maybe the threat of Sims pulling the ball and running wins us the game. You never know.

When Sims kicked Louisville's ass last year or Duke's or when he beat FSU, were you calling for him to be pulled?
I don't want to pull Yates, but you have no idea how the game would have turned out with Sims at QB. Stronger arm, faster. Maybe the threat of Sims pulling the ball and running wins us the game. You never know.
With that Clemson rush.. and the pressure they got on our QB all game.. yeah we kinda do know

If you can't see that Yates plays better at the position, then I don't know what to tell you.

Yates plays like a QB. Sims plays like an experiment.

Also Sims would have been good for two INTs and maybe a fumble.
You have no way of knowing what Sims looks like in a dink & dunk offense that burns clock on offense to keep it close because we've never run that with Sims in there , also you can't just assume he'd throw picks either

I also said Yates earned his PT

We are not going to be able the play the rest of the season the way we played yesterday, close to vest and milking the clock on offense, if you can't envision that, then I don't know what to tell you

You have no way of knowing what Sims looks like in a dink & dunk offense that burns clock on offense to keep it close because we've never run that with Sims in there , also you can't just assume he'd throw picks either

We are not going to be able the play the rest of the season the way we played yesterday, close to vest and milking the clock on offense, if you can't envision that, then I don't know what to tell you
Correct. If everyone thinks Yates is the answer because we played a drink and dunk game against Clemson and held it close, then God help us. I want to go to the next level. Yates is doing a fine job, and has earned his PT, but I am not going to write Sims off because of a bad 1st half in the first game of the season.

These are actually good problems. Yates is a gamer and his performance last night was incredible under the circumstances. Our OL was getting thrown around all night and he still found running and throwing lanes. Most importantly, he protected the ball. It is going to be difficult to not start him going forward.

Good offensive coordinators call the game in front of them based on what they have and who they’re playing….not what the wish they could be. I like Simms and he seems like a great kid, just don’t understand the thought that he can take us to a level that Yates can’t.

That said, it’s good to talk competitive GT football again … it’s been a while.

I think Yates starts the UNC game... Sims is the future, however the NIU game shows he was not ready... (every week the NIU game loss looks worse Wyoming put up 50, Michigan put up 63) Doesn't mean Sims isn't talented... But Yates is moving the O. Keep him in Coach!!!

Lol fumbled and looked lost vs NIU rush.. but he’d blast Clemson. Sure bud
So when Sims overthrows WRs in the EZ he deserves to get yanked, but when Yates throws passes out of the EZ and OoB then he's our guy?

Me and others have admitted that Yates has earned his PT but we also ask others like you to judge him the same way you judged Sims

We won't face other QBs as flawed as Ukulele, Yates won't be able to burn clock on Offense and hope that the Defense will keep it close

Teams won't get caught off guard like Clemson did, they are going to start squatting on the underneath Routes and force Yates to attack them deep , when this happens in the future and bad things happen don't start blaming the OC and a lack of coaching em up

We need for Sims to win the QB job. Yates is a smart, steady QB. Sims has the potential to be great. I would bring Sims in for one play at a time for now, let him run the ball or throw deep, then bring Yates back in.

Yates is accurate, if he had a little more arm strength he’d be a great passer. Seems to throw flat footed or leaning back a lot, doesn’t really get his body into it, so maybe he can get more zip with a little coaching on mechanics

If having Yates in there forces Pnope to change his play calling for the better, then that's another reason to keep Yates as the starter.

These are actually good problems. Yates is a gamer and his performance last night was incredible under the circumstances. Our OL was getting thrown around all night and he still found running and throwing lanes. Most importantly, he protected the ball. It is going to be difficult to not start him going forward.

Good offensive coordinators call the game in front of them based on what they have and who they’re playing….not what the wish they could be. I like Simms and he seems like a great kid, just don’t understand the thought that he can take us to a level that Yates can’t.

That said, it’s good to talk competitive GT football again … it’s been a while.
For fairness, here's a hypothetical:

If PNode came out vs NIL and dinked and dunked and milked clock and played close to vest do you think we win, do you think that Sims is still the guy?

In the first game vs a lesser opponent we thought we would use that to open up the Offense and get some live fire Reps with deep passing to help us later in the season, but the defense played like crap, the kid got hurt , defense couldn't get a stop had poor mental focus and we lost

One of the problems with our fans is that we have too many blame the OC, blame the QB fans that don't watch the game in the trenches, there are 11 moving parts on Offense on each play and many of us only see the QB and the RB or WR, we as fans have to learn to watch the game differently, just my opinion though, I could be wrong

So when Sims overthrows WRs in the EZ he deserves to get yanked, but when Yates throws passes out of the EZ and OoB then he's our guy?

Me and others have admitted that Yates has earned his PT but we also ask others like you to judge him the same way you judged Sims

We won't face other QBs as flawed as Ukulele, Yates won't be able to burn clock on Offense and hope that the Defense will keep it close

Teams won't get caught off guard like Clemson did, they are going to start squatting on the underneath Routes and force Yates to attack them deep , when this happens in the future and bad things happen don't start blaming the OC and a lack of coaching em up

You sound like you need to decide which side of the fence you are on. Either you think Yates has earned the position or you think Sims should go back in, which is it? It sounds like you are strongly in favor of pulling Yates and starting Sims.

If having Yates in there forces Pnope to change his play calling for the better, then that's another reason to keep Yates as the starter.
Different doesn't always translate to for the better

For the better was only because we ran into a cold QB at Clemson, this same kid stepped in last year and threw for 350 yds each time out, would you still like PNode's play calling if that Clemson QB had showed up?

Hoping that the other QB plays poorly is not a reliable strategy for GT FB

Why do you think Yates deserves to be benched? I think if you bench Yates solely to give Sims a chance you are sending the entire team the wrong message.
We will see. Maybe we are up big one game, or Yates struggles one game.

You make it sound like there haven't been people questioning Sims ability for over a year. We had people calling for Graham last season and even the return of TO. Not everyone was on the Sims for Heisman campaign trail.

let Yates start this whole year.. we’ll win more games and throw less INTs than sims last year.. that’s not good enough?​

Back