You know you are at GT when...

TechGator1066

Dodd-Like
1. There are derivatives written on the bathroom stalls.
2. None of your TAs speak English.
3. You know what the Good Word is.
4. you sit in class you are surrounded by guys…and you are a guy.
5. you ride the Stinger Shuttle you are surrounded by guys…and you are a guy.
6. you walk to class you are surrounded by guys…and you are a guy.
7. Let’s just say that you are always surrounded by guys…and you are a guy.
8. You pull out your laptop before you pull out your pencil
9. You’ve been late to class because you Stinger driver had to take an “important phone call”.
10. You had a 4.0 in High School and now are barely passing
11. Everyone you know is an engineering major and when you finally meet a non-engineering major you ask “Why Tech?”
12. Campus Transportation has Wi-Fi for your convenience
13. The Cardio machines in the CRC have TVs built into every piece of equipment
14. Students complain when the internet is slower than 5 MB/sec
15. Graduating in four years in unheard of
16. You had a PL your freshman year
17. You abbreviate everything
18. Your know at least on person who can solve a Rubick’s cube (in under a minute)
19. You loathe freshman hill
20. You have a yellow envelope on your car windshield in order to avoid the parking nazies
21. You make big plans to swim in at least one of the fountains before you graduate, it’s your goal
22. A 45% just means you’re riding the curve and is actually considered an ‘A’
23. You congratulate your friends when they get a 70 on test
24. You know what the “square root club” is
25. You wear WHITE and gold not blue and gold
26. Every time you walk through Skilles you end up with at least one flyer in your hand
27. You go to the career fairs just so you can get the cool free stuff companies are giving out
28. 50000 people screaming “Fight, Win, Drink, Get Naked!” is perfectly normal to you
29. It bothers you that this list ends at #29 instead of #30

I guess I now know that the real reason I didn't attend GT was that I didn't want to answer #11 ...and at UGA I didn't have to concern myself with 4, 5, 6 or 7. :smirk:

I had two very smart high school friends who can attest to #10.

And I'm one of those meticulous people that is greatly disturbed by this list ending at 29. I actually would have preferred that the list ended with a nice list-ending number like 20 or 25 as I'm not a fan of lists ending at 30 either ...but any list that ends at 29 is simply just wrong. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's only been 10 years since I graduated, but I feel old reading that list. I remember registering for classes over a 1200 baud modem and laptops were unheard of! I see that none of the non-technology things have changed, though.
Chris

TX_Jacket said:
It's only been 10 years since I graduated, but I feel old reading that list. I remember registering for classes over a 1200 baud modem and laptops were unheard of! I see that none of the non-technology things have changed, though.
Chris

ArchiTECH "registered" in the Old Gym. Students would stand on scaffolding with stiff cards bearing course names and stick them up on the south wall to indicate which classes were closed. We got computer punch cards with times printed on them that indicated when you could get into the gym. Departments had reps in the stands to sign you up for a course if you were lucky enough to get a kind of place holder for the course. Underclassmen got screwed.

If you didn't need an earlier time slot (read - upper classman or you knew you were leaving soon) you could scalp your "ticket" out at the corner where Sunshine and Doughnut and Sock Man sold their stuff (anybody remember those characters?). It's okey doke to have a coke - how 'bout it.

No modems that I knew of. I bought a Sears calculator that did basic arithmetic and paid $105.00 for it. Thought it would help me with Engineering Science and Mechanics taught by Freebody Brown. I knew it wouldn't help with Calculus from Steamboat Fulton or Ricepaddy Rollins.

To get a phone in your dorm room was a big deal and you had to sign a separate Southern Bell contract. You could get a refreigerator on lease. Traveling through "The Tunnel" at Third Street at night was an adventure, but it was the only way to get to East Gate apartments (apartments, man, that's an exaggeration!). I think the landlord there ran the Great American Raft Race (was that the name of the thing on the Hooch?).

We had PT (physical training) on Saturday mornings. One morning it was snowing and I was running the 880 that had to be completed in certain times to get a grade that was published in the catalog (only at Ma Tech could this happen!). Anyway after a lap when the track coach (and PT instructor) wasn't looking, I ran out of Grant Field and back to Glenn Dorm, crawled under the covers and thought, I hate this place. I think the track coach was Buddy Knowles or Buddy Fowler or maybe Buddy Fowlkes (does that sound right?).

In fact, I did hate Mother Tech for a few years after I "got out." I hated her ALL the years I was there. But, it's a wierd kind of hate. It's the kind of hate that you can share with other Tech family, but God help someone if they rip on the old gal and they are not in the family. It is truly the definition of a love - hate relationship. I would walk through fire for the place then and now, but I still hate her in a loving way. I think you had to go there to sort of get it.

Now, ArchiTECH must get back to counting white people at the home. I just saw one with a sponge...it's gonna be a good day.

my roommate was part of #24

yet he did get his act together and graduate...

TechGator1066 said:
29. It bothers you that this list ends at #29 instead of #30

It drives my wife crazy when I heat things in the microwave for 2:03 instead of 2:00.

WracerX said:
It drives my wife crazy when I heat things in the microwave for 2:03 instead of 2:00.

My wife will turn the volume to the tv up/ down, and leave that number on something like 23 or 21, drives me nuts. I keep the volume at 25, and if that's too low/loud I raise/lower to an even digit. But that's just me. :crazy:

I remember at the beginning of this semester there were like 4 girls in my ECE 3040 class. I was in total shock, but then I did a percentage check and they were at like .1007 or something....

But even now, they have all dropped out except for one....so back to 30+ guys and 1 girl.

Last edited:
stonegt said:
my roommate was part of #24

yet he did get his act together and graduate...

Me, too. First semester. Spent some time at Kennesaw, switched to History, finally graduated.

ArchiTECH said:
In fact, I did hate Mother Tech for a few years after I "got out." I hated her ALL the years I was there. But, it's a wierd kind of hate. It's the kind of hate that you can share with other Tech family, but God help someone if they rip on the old gal and they are not in the family. It is truly the definition of a love - hate relationship. I would walk through fire for the place then and now, but I still hate her in a loving way. I think you had to go there to sort of get it.

I know exactly what your talking about.

The only other thing I feel that way about it playing football. Back when we were going through it, we'd complain constantly, but I'd give just about anything to be able to out on that field again.

ArchiTECH that brought back memories. I remember living in Harrison that first year with no air conditioning, just fans. It was OK though, I had grown up in a house with no AC and no school I had attended up to that point had AC.

Talking about manual registration, you forgot to mention that the lines would wind all around the Grant Field to North Avenue even though you had time cards. It took hours just to get in the gym. The same gym we had calculus finals in, on folding tables in the middle of the basketball court. Naval armory too. The Saturday my senior brother graduated I had two finals and didn't even get to see my family (boy were they pissed).

One of the largest Ma Tech sucks memories, I had studied for a big test/final at the library until near closure at midnight, got on the stinger to ride around to Area1, too tired to walk down the hill. We got to Area3 and unloaded and the driver proceeds to drive to behind the police station where he stops and announces "this was my last round, I'm done". I had to walk all the way back to Area1 across campus after midnight with a load of books. I was real pissed.

ArchiTECH;

I was there, then as well. Except affordable (<$100) calculators didn't had not yet come out, so I hung my trusty slipstick off of my belt.

Fights would break out over who would get to use the Wang terminal in the physics lab.

Some of the stinger drivers were assholes.

GEETEELEE said:
ArchiTECH;

I was there, then as well. Except affordable (<$100) calculators didn't had not yet come out, so I hung my trusty slipstick off of my belt.

Fights would break out over who would get to use the Wang terminal in the physics lab.

Some of the stinger drivers were assholes.

ArchiTECH was much more lucid back in the day, but the calculator was around my second or so year at the institute. I had a Post slip stick (the cheapest, plastic one). I think my daughter used it to mix paint a decade or so ago.

I don't have many memories of the Stinger. I do remember crossing Hemphill many times per day and flipping off rude drivers. Once, on a snow day, a student tossed a snowball at a car there and actually managed to hit it. The driver slammed brakes, jumped out of his car to confront the student and was hit with probably fifty snowballs before he could get back to his car. I think the Student Center was newly opened, because there were still mailboxes in the EE Bldg. I loved EE Flicks ($.25 for admission and you could shout along with the dialog and everyone was cool with it).

All my friends that went to the cool universities thought Tech was such a strange choice for me, but I actually liked the culture there at the time. It was deadly serious on one hand and entirely Animal House stupid on the other. To this day, Tech "culture" is so hard to explain to an outsider. Always the underdog, yet elitist (in an earned way, not just a declaration). When I look at the scoreboard in the South end zone and see those 4 national championship years listed and I realize this was accomplished by a small, limited curricula engineering school with so many nerds (read that proudly) I get this reality check like, "how did that happen?" I've learned best to not underestimate the old gal. I always picture a true Ma Tech living in the tower like some deranged homicidal old auntie. She plots how to torture her young so that in a perverse way they will love her later. Actually, the older I get the more I love the old bitch.

ArchiTECH must go now. We get bathroom breaks on the hour and if ArchiTECH misses his...so many people are saddened.

TechGator1066 said:
I love how ArchiTECH refers to himself in the 3rd person! :hugelaugh:

ArchiTECH often has romantic "dates" with himself. My friends here tell me that having another persona makes it less dirty. ArchiTECH prides himself on self-defined morality and, in fact, ArchiTECH has given himself quite a few awards in this area and I thank me for that. Some of you may know that I had a brief problem with stalking, which was certainly not something of which ArchiTECH is proud, but that rarely flares up now.

Almost dinner time here at the home. I like almost anything that comes in a can. Short cans are better - less water and creative can disposal is a hobby of mine.

Forgot to mention that my first quarter I was going to use a plastic slide rule my brother gave me and got about 2 months into the quarter and Sears came out with the $100 calculator. I bought one although I had to skip meals for about 2 months to afford it.

Then early in winter quarter the thing quit working. I took it back to Sears and the nice lady said "you can exchange it for a new one but if I were you I would ask for a refund and then you could buy it new for $65." They had gone down that much.

But instead I took my refund and went somewhere else and bought me a Bowmar brain, 4 function calculator for about $70 that lasted the rest of my Tech career.

Still had to have that slide rule for square roots, cube roots, logs and such.

Back