You know you are at GT when...

ramblinwise1 said:
Forgot to mention that my first quarter I was going to use a plastic slide rule my brother gave me and got about 2 months into the quarter and Sears came out with the $100 calculator. I bought one although I had to skip meals for about 2 months to afford it.

Then early in winter quarter the thing quit working. I took it back to Sears and the nice lady said "you can exchange it for a new one but if I were you I would ask for a refund and then you could buy it new for $65." They had gone down that much.

But instead I took my refund and went somewhere else and bought me a Bowmar brain, 4 function calculator for about $70 that lasted the rest of my Tech career.

Still had to have that slide rule for square roots, cube roots, logs and such.

ArchiTECH's calculator was a Sears also - paid $105 (guess with tax, but the number is stuck in my memory). Was probably same as yours - black case, white numbers, had that red led display. There was a company that advertised one with "big green numbers and little rubber feet" to a jingle. Wish I could remember the company. I wanted one of those, but I had to pony up the last few dollars for the meal plan at Brittian (sp?). There was an impromtu "find the fetus" contest at the Brittian when some poor smuck found a rat fetus in his salad. The contest was something like - find another fetus and win a meal ticket. Very clever advertising.

Also, Brittian had a little late night snack place up stairs. Does anyone remember its name? (ArchiTECH does - ArchiTECH can remember old stuff but can't remember anything within the last few minutes....what was ArchiTECH writing here anyway...).

aT, do you happen to be from Dallas, TX, originally? If so I think you and I lived at East Gate around the same time!?

Brittain had the so called 'faculty lounge' upstairs where we could eat on Sundays,big deal, Juniors Grill was still better, dont remember the little late night snack place.

goldeagle said:
aT, do you happen to be from Dallas, TX, originally? If so I think you and I lived at East Gate around the same time!?

Brittain had the so called 'faculty lounge' upstairs where we could eat on Sundays,big deal, Juniors Grill was still better, dont remember the little late night snack place.

No, not from Dallas, but ArchiTECH lived and loved in Eastgate in 1970. What a dump. ArchiTECH's so called "window" was at street level and opened onto the alley a few yards from the V's dumpsters. Throwing M-80s into the biggest dumpster (the one nearest my "bay window" to watch the rats run was steller entertainment. Once left the window open while ratting and a big, bad old rat took refuge in ArchiTECH's swinging bachelor pad. He (or she) fit right in - not unlike some of the residents I now have here at the home.

The dining room (funny) upstairs from B.Dining Hall was the "T Room" - wonder where they got that?

Much talk of rats makes me want a treat...so off to the kitchen for ArchiTECH.

The T room was in the back of Brittain wasn't it? Might have been upstairs from the mine dining area but I always entered the back. Looking at Brittain from behind the T room was on the right and the laundramat on the left.

ramblinwise1 said:
The T room was in the back of Brittain wasn't it? Might have been upstairs from the mine dining area but I always entered the back. Looking at Brittain from behind the T room was on the right and the laundramat on the left.

From the back of Brittain, you are right, the T Room was to the right. It seems I went up some stairs that were on the north side (if Brittain were a rectangular shape with the west face and main entry on Techwood, then the entrance to the T Room, seems to me, was on the north wall. I can't remember if the stairs were interior or exterior - probably interior).

Do you remember Angelina's (sp?). Italian place just across from the Varsity - Taco Tech ($.35 / taco) was next door and the Tech Barber Shop (drunk barber worked there) and some Tux rental place was near the corner (North Ave. and Spring). I saw Neil Diamond renting a tux there once. Weird.

How about Steverino's Sub shop on Spring St. Played lots of late night pinball in there.

ramblinwise1 said:
How about Steverino's Sub shop on Spring St. Played lots of late night pinball in there.

That's probably it. Angelina's, Steverino's - Italian names - whata gonna do...

Anyone have a copy of the "Tech take a Leak" or the "Atlanta Urinal & Consitpation"?

How about "streak week" or the "concets in the Dome". We had fraternity brothers who went thru the parking lot collecting the hood orniments, best one was a "red winged babe".

ArchiTECH, you should be ready for the SR GOLD AARP membership with some of those memories.

Slide rule class, anyone? First HP handheld I saw was bought by a USN Viet Nam vet, he paid $395.00 for a model that did simple math & Trig functions.

English with Moon Mullins?

The V said:
Anyone have a copy of the "Tech take a Leak" or the "Atlanta Urinal & Consitpation"?

How about "streak week" or the "concets in the Dome". We had fraternity brothers who went thru the parking lot collecting the hood orniments, best one was a "red winged babe".

ArchiTECH, you should be ready for the SR GOLD AARP membership with some of those memories.

Slide rule class, anyone? First HP handheld I saw was bought by a USN Viet Nam vet, he paid $395.00 for a model that did simple math & Trig functions.

English with Moon Mullins?

Moon Mullins - yep, I remember that one. I think I was in grad school when the streaking started, I didn't pay much attention.

How 'bout The Great Speckled Bird?

I remember when the first Area III dorms weren't there and then when they were there, some kind of rubber-tired "people mover" - the administration called it - was installed for a time. It was a fancy sidewalk with a tram (occassionaly).

Do you remember how bad the place smelled on a warm day when there had been no rain for a while. Tech still has a number of combination sewers (storm and sanitary in one pipe) so when the rain doesn't come and the sanitary isn't diluted - hold on brothers and sisters, we've got a barn burner. That smell and an 8:00 a.m. class where the perfect way to start the day (even better it the class was Saturday).

The smell, my father was a plumber I was use to the smell before I got to Ma Tech. It was funny to see the parents walk down the sidewalk and almost fall over after their first smell.

Breakfast at Juniors, the French Toast, coffee was used to re-surface the streets it was so strong.
Dinner was "Top two & 10", for those not in the Juniors speak, that was the Top two veggies and a 10 oz hamburger steak.

Remember when "rub on letters first came out".
(Arch Class of 76)

How about Denny McClains bar in the Georgian Terrace?

Fanco's Pizza on Ptree at 12th?

Southern Club boarding house for summer meals?

The first Mellow Mushroom pizza place Spring and 14th?

The V selling Beer?

The V said:
The smell, my father was a plumber I was use to the smell before I got to Ma Tech. It was funny to see the parents walk down the sidewalk and almost fall over after their first smell.

Breakfast at Juniors, the French Toast, coffee was used to re-surface the streets it was so strong.
Dinner was "Top two & 10", for those not in the Juniors speak, that was the Top two veggies and a 10 oz hamburger steak.

Remember when "rub on letters first came out".
(Arch Class of 76)

How about Denny McClains bar in the Georgian Terrace?

Fanco's Pizza on Ptree at 12th?

Southern Club boarding house for summer meals?

The first Mellow Mushroom pizza place Spring and 14th?

The V selling Beer?

Rub on Helvetica Medium was timeless (so said Durfee).

I had forgotten about the "V" selling beer - good one.

Yep, I remember the first Mellow Mushroom and Juniors (we always called it Juniors Bar and Grille and I actually wrote a check to that once and they accepted it). Engineers Book Store in the original location had a funky (in a good way) smell also.

Do you remember the old phone booths in the Arch. Bldg? There was a dog that lived in one named Corbu back in the day because he pooped cubist forms. Everyone would gather for a crit.

Pippins Pizza on North Ave.

The Yellow Jacket, you had to stand and eat.

The fire at Engineers Bookstore?

Gordy Tire.

The V said:
Pippins Pizza on North Ave.

The Yellow Jacket, you had to stand and eat.

The fire at Engineers Bookstore?

Gordy Tire.

You also had to stand to eat at about 3/4 of the "tables" at the cafeteria in the basement of the Tech admin building (Tech Tower).

There was a huge wire and paper mache' sculpture on the corner of Peachtree and 10th, or it might have been 14th street (the strip) called the Rape of Lady Liberty. Very hippy kind of thing. Lots of little head shops in that area.

Some great free music in Piedmont Park on Sundays. Hampton Grease (or Geese?) Band, even Alman Bros.

Big Brother and the Holding Company free on campus at the area around the Tech Tower cafeteria.

Sly and the Family Stone for a homecoming (I think I had just graduated a couple of years earlier, but I came back for the concert). The worse concert I've ever been to. Totally wasted (the band, that is).

The Rotunda at the library never, ever changes.

ArchiTECH's calculator was a Sears also - paid $105 (guess with tax, but the number is stuck in my memory). Was probably same as yours - black case, white numbers, had that red led display.

Consider yourself lucky. My first ciphering device was a slide rule. ;) It came with a bulletproof, heavy-duty leather case to protect it.

By the time I hit some of the Nuclear Engr grad courses at Tech, I remember doing Monte Carlo calculations on a octal-based PDP-15 housed in the basement of the old Neely Nuclear Research facility. The damn tape-based, octal switch, dinosaur took up a whole friggin room. These were the days when a huge 300 baud dialup terminal was a really hot commodity and you were tough stuff if you had one. :laugher:

Leather cases for slide rules need to be taken care of on a regular basis, do not use as a sword for a fight on the 3rd floor of the Library.

Remember the chickens that were turned loose in the Library during the Fraternity rituals? Of course The V had nothing to do with that.

But there was the Pig, brought back from, well never mind.

The V said:
Leather cases for slide rules need to be taken care of on a regular basis, do not use as a sword for a fight on the 3rd floor of the Library.

Remember the chickens that were turned loose in the Library during the Fraternity rituals? Of course The V had nothing to do with that.

But there was the Pig, brought back from, well never mind.

"V" - Absolutely remember the chicken ritual. A chicken being chased by staffers in the graduate towers is just funny.

"Buzz Bomb" - my first higher math device was a slide rule, also. I never had a top-of-the-line one. The Sears calculator came almost too late for me, but I've always been an electonic gizmo device kind of guy, and I just have to have this new fangled thing called a calculator. It seemed really, really expensive at the time and I had already wasted my National Defense Student Loan on ... (well, not all school stuff, so I can't say - they could still be monitoring ArchiTECH) other things.

How about Sears on Ponce and across the street was Arlans. They had a cop there (Arlans) that would inspect your grocery bags and even frisk you for shop lifting. The Crackers played baseball on that site when I was a kid. I didn't see them play there but I remember seeing really grainy television footage.

I wonder what was on the Student Center site before the Student Center?

You'll think I'm making this up, but my PT instructor in basketball (seems you could take flag football, basketball or something else as a PT course) was Coach Hyder. He didn't stay with us the whole hour, but he would get us started on something and leave. That indicates just how big time basketball was around 1970. There was another court somewhere near the Tit, (I guess like a practice court) but I can't remember exactly where it was.

AT, before the Student Center was the old, Neil Derosa era, Placement Center which was originally Lester Maddoxs' Pickrick restaurant;wasn't Burger King somewhere overthere also?

Know what you mean about 'lovin' in Eastgate!!;)

BK Steakhouse, aka Burger King was next to Placement Center.

10th Street Art theater played 'Vixen" for about 2 years.

Lenox when it was an open air mall?

One Eyed Jacks, on Biltmore Place?

Ice skating at Colony Square Mall, that was when the hotel was the "Flairmont".

The condos in Colony Sq sold for $25,000.00 when opened.

Cross Roads resturant at Peachtree & Spring.

Here is what I remember about Saturdays and Tech football.Seeing Charley Britt ,ga safety being killed by Maxie Baugh on a kickoff.The whole stadium goes OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh! Bobby Dodd in a nice suit with Hat and sunglasses walking out the tunnel to appulause from the faithful.Seeing the Auburn War eagle in the hands of a tech rat in 1962.The sun gleaming off the gold helmets and silver helmets at a ga and ga tech game.Knowlegable fans who knew when to yeall and when to clap.White jerseys and gold pants that made tech standout on any field.This is my recollections.

Anybody remember Duffy's Bar on the left just after going thru the 3rd street tunnel?

Anybody remember the FBI arresting some students who lived at Smith Dorm? They made a home made rocket which was launched up into the Atlanta airlanes.

Anybody remember the snow (1960 I think) riot in which the President's house was mobbed because he would not close classes the next day? I was in the infirmary when they started hauling the students in who had been billy clubbed.

Anybody remember the campus dogs wearing painted ads for candidates running for student offices?

Anybody remember the trash can covering the top of the flag pole on the quad?

Anybody remember the Magnificent Seven?

Anybody remember students risking their lives scaling the side of the tower to break into professor's offices to steal the tests?

Anybody remember how the adversarial culture worked at Tech? It was students against profs in all of academics, and anything was fair game.

Anybody remember running from the hill to Air Force Drill in the parking lot at the Big Tit in the Atlanta heat in wool uniforms while carrying all their books and the metal case containing the instruments for Mechanical Drawing? . . . then running back to an unairconditioned hot class and how the papers stuck to your arms?

Anybody remember how you could get partial credit for a problem in which you made an error in the sign of your answer because of the slide rule? I got the sign wrong on a 20 point question. For partial credit, the prof drew a line between the 2 and 0. He said that I got half credit--the half on the right.

Ohhhhh, the precious memories of Saturday morning classes.

Back