You young guys hang on

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I am not saying they are right, or that you are wrong in feeling that disdain, but your response, shared by many, if not a majority of Tech fans helps contribute to half empty stadiums and an ever increasing red and black hoarde.

A difficult truism for engineering types is the question of whether you would rather be right or happy. For most Tech grads those two ideas are one in the same. That works when building a bridge or creating an electrical design, not so much for interpersonal relationships.

Like it or not, building and sustaining a football fanbase is about interpersonal relationships.....not math.
Hell, my girlfriend saw first hand how Gagger fans are last weekend as some of the few assholes left as we were waiting on the horse beelined for us, even though the section was mostly empty, thinking they could just bully their way through.

I didn't watch the UGAg/Auburn game yesterday because I knew UGAg would win. When she showed me the score on her phone, I essentially said "öööö UGAg, I hate that ööööing football team and all their fans" She took it well considering she is a fan. She moved from NJ to Sarasota Florida when she was in middle school and moved up here to attend Berry college after graduating from Sarasota High. She absolutely is a UGAg fan because her first husband bleeds UGAg is the only thing I figure. One of her sons is a graduate of UGAg, highest honors, and was accepted into a master's program at both GT and UGAg. He chose to go back to UGAg because...hell....I guess football.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
In my manufacturing facility, exactly NONE of the UGAg fans attended UGAg. Not one. Of course, not many even went to college. Our biggest asshole UGAg fan at work was banned from ever using my tickets again after I took a group of them to see the Perriloux Jax State game. He was an embarrassing asshole the entire time. Said afterward he'd never step foot in our stadium again. He has asked since why I haven't taken him to a game again to which I tell him "because you were an asshole in my seats to my fans using my free ticket which we have paid multiple thousands of dollars for for years. You said "I'm never stepping foot in this stadium again" after being an asshole to our fans at our game with your constant telling of how much better UGAg is than GT at everything. You slammed our stadium repetitively for basically not being UGAg's"

He claims that I shouldn't hold that against him and has asked to go to GT games with us at some point. He asks every other year for "free" GT/UGAg tix. I've told him I would burn the damn things first.
Maybe my perspective is a bit different because none of my family members who wear white and gold, curse uga, and cheer for Tech ever had a shot at going to Tech.

I took my opportunity to go to Tech when accepted because my best friend, my grandfather, always liked Tech despite not going. He talked about listening to Alexander’s teams on the radio as a kid. He never had a chance to go because he was poor growing up with his aunt. Instead he had an associates degree from what would become Armstrong and then worked 40 years in a paper mill as an electrician.

My parents also went to Armstrong. They did not have the money to leave town for college. They were actually uga fans when I was growing up and my dad gave my grandpa hell about pulling for Tech. I honestly did not give much of a damn about any of it because I had never experienced it from either angle.

My first game was 1999 vs Clemson. I had already been accepted to Tech and uga and I had already preferred Tech. My dad and grandfather took me to the game and that was my first time on campus and my first college football game other than a Southern game when I was 8. I’ve been hooked ever since. This was also my grandfathers first Tech game in person.

My parents got rid of all uga stuff (including some pretty valuable memorabilia like the brass belt buckles from C&S bank to commemorate the 80 championship). They and my grandparents had season tickets while I was there. My sister refused to apply to uga because she was conditioned to hate them so much (Tech did not let her in).

I married a uga grad. She has converted to being a Tech fan. That’s probably more because I’m an asshole about uga and it just makes life easier for her. Either way, it works for me.

So.....there’s my perspective. I don’t care how or why people become Tech fans. I just want more of them.

Dirty Jacket

Never Weaken
I am not saying they are right, or that you are wrong in feeling that disdain, but your response, shared by many, if not a majority of Tech fans helps contribute to half empty stadiums and an ever increasing red and black hoarde.

A difficult question for engineering types is whether you would rather be right or happy. For most Tech grads those two ideas are one in the same. That works when building a bridge or creating an electrical design, not so much for interpersonal relationships.

Like it or not, building and sustaining a football fanbase is about interpersonal relationships.....not math. Take winning percentage out of it, UGA is simply better at this than Tech is.
I agree 100% with everything you’ve said. Coupled with a mediocre product we (the AD) has not done much outside of some billboards to rope in sidewalk fans. Sustain winning is the first thing that must happen. Need an exciting 2014 season followed with a few solid years after that. Then people will be paying attention and will starting coming this way. It’s likely that simple. You can’t expect a guy who just moved here from Idaho for work to guve us a second look at when we’re 5-6 and the dipshits are going to the playoffs.

Dirty Jacket

Never Weaken
Maybe my perspective is a bit different because none of my family members who wear white and gold, curse uga, and cheer for Tech ever had a shot at going to Tech.

I took my opportunity to go to Tech when accepted because my best friend, my grandfather, always liked Tech despite not going. He talked about listening to Alexander’s teams on the radio as a kid. He never had a chance to go because he was poor growing up with his aunt. Instead he had an associates degree from what would become Armstrong and then worked 40 years in a paper mill as an electrician.

My parents also went to Armstrong. They did not have the money to leave town for college. They were actually uga fans when I was growing up and my dad gave my grandpa hell about pulling for Tech. I honestly did not give much of a damn about any of it because I had never experienced it from either angle.

My first game was 1999 vs Clemson. I had already been accepted to Tech and uga and I had already preferred Tech. My dad and grandfather took me to the game and that was my first time on campus and my first college football game other than a Southern game when I was 8. I’ve been hooked ever since. This was also my grandfathers first Tech game in person.

My parents got rid of all uga stuff (including some pretty valuable memorabilia like the brass belt buckles from C&S bank to commemorate the 80 championship). They and my grandparents had season tickets while I was there. My sister refused to apply to uga because she was conditioned to hate them so much (Tech did not let her in).

I married a uga grad. She has converted to being a Tech fan. That’s probably more because I’m an asshole about uga and it just makes life easier for her. Either way, it works for me.

So.....there’s my perspective. I don’t care how or why people become Tech fans. I just want more of them.
Damn. I’m the oldest of 4. I went to GT. My younger sister went to uga with no desire to go to Tech. My younger brother went to every GT game with me while in high school and then Georgia State. He ultimately transferred to uga and the rest is history. He’s annoying af now. My baby sister is the smartest of the 4 of us and had her heart totally on Tech and had no desire to go to uga. ööööing Tech waitlisted her and broke her heart. She went to uga and wiped her ass with gt’s out of the blue letter to her the next year accepting her off of waitlist. My wife, father in law went to uga. My brother in law went to law school and talks shut but doesn’t know öööö about football. I hate my family.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
I've bought UGAg collectables just to keep UGAg fans from getting them. I have a full case of 1980 Coke bottles in the basement of mom and dad's house, a 1950's Bluebird lighter (I have the GT one too) and other stuff.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Damn. I’m the oldest of 4. I went to GT. My younger sister went to uga with no desire to go to Tech. My younger brother went to every GT game with me while in high school and then Georgia State. He ultimately transferred to uga and the rest is history. He’s annoying af now. My baby sister is the smartest of the 4 of us and had her heart totally on Tech and had no desire to go to uga. ööööing Tech waitlisted her and broke her heart. She went to uga and wiped her ass with gt’s out of the blue letter to her the next year accepting her off of waitlist. My wife, father in law went to uga. My brother in law went to law school and talks shut but doesn’t know öööö about football. I hate my family.
Tech broke my sister’s heart too. She went to State after getting a cold rejection from Tech. She still pulls for Tech even after marrying a uga fan. He went to the Navy right out of high school and is a cool dude. I actually gave them 2 tickets to the uga game this year (his first college game) and he was very well behaved. He cheered for uga, but has talked a lot since about how awesome Tech was and how he would like to go back.

I have a younger cousin who got her CE from Tech and is now working on her masters at Tech. She’s the smartest of all of us.

Dirty Jacket

Never Weaken
Tech broke my sister’s heart too. She went to State after getting a cold rejection from Tech. She still pulls for Tech even after marrying a uga fan. He went to the Navy right out of high school and is a cool dude. I actually gave them 2 tickets to the uga game this year (his first college game) and he was very well behaved. He cheered for uga, but has talked a lot since about how awesome Tech was and how he would like to go back.

I have a younger cousin who got her CE from Tech and is now working on her masters at Tech. She’s the smartest of all of us.
My wife and I were shocked that my sister didn’t get into Tech. It was a damn shame. We had spent nearly $500 at the Tech bookstore on Tech stuff for her before she got waitlisted. Needless to say, she gave it all back to me to Return.

Now my newest battle is my family trying to buy uga öööö for my daughter and son. I’ve made it clear that anything in red or with that G gets thrown away, not even gift receipt returned or exchanged. I’ve suggested they have their own kids to dumb down. Fortunately my 2 year old screams “GO Tech” and if she sees a red G she screams “boooooooooooooooo dogs”—on repeat.

Keyser Soze

Likes Staff's Member
My wife and I were shocked that my sister didn’t get into Tech. It was a damn shame. We had spent nearly $500 at the Tech bookstore on Tech stuff for her before she got waitlisted. Needless to say, she gave it all back to me to Return.

Now my newest battle is my family trying to buy uga öööö for my daughter and son. I’ve made it clear that anything in red or with that G gets thrown away, not even gift receipt returned or exchanged. I’ve suggested they have their own kids to dumb down. Fortunately my 2 year old screams “GO Tech” and if she sees a red G she screams “boooooooooooooooo dogs”—on repeat.
My 2 year olds scream “Ewwww, yuck” when they see a red G or any form of bulldog.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ

What’s even worse about this is that your sister (and mine) would have been life long Tech supporters and likely stayed in-state and gone to games. But Tech would rather have a non-English speaking international student show up for 4 years, contribute nothing to the school for 4 years but a bunch of cigarette butts in the library planters, and return to east Asia. That pisses me off.