12-2 or Bust?

gtcu17, is your overall point that we won't have a successful season unless we go 12-2, because losing any of the remaining games would have some big negatives come with it? If i'm putting words in your mouth, sorry, but I disagree. Losing to VT but going 10-3 with a win over uga and a non-bcs bowl win would be an awesome season and set us up nicely with a high ranking for next year. Going 11-3 with a loss in the Orange would still be an great year. I think any time you make a BCS bowl its a good season (not to mention beating uga). I refuse to consider a scenario where we don't beat uga, because it wont happen.

Your post was exactly what I was asking for and saying. Basically, considering that a loss to any of our remaining opponents would be a "big loss," I was asking if anyone would consider the season be a bust if this team doesn't go 12-2? I don't think it would be at all, and that it would be unfair to say it's gotta be 12-2 if it's going to be successful. I'm perfectly content with dropping VT and winning out, as well as coming up short in the ACC-CG and getting into a good bowl and getting a W there, but I know that there is going to be someone who is looking at the negatives like "we didn't beat Georgia/VT/Clemson/Bowl opponent" and think it was a bad season.

Every week seems winnable, so I'm trying to keep it small-scale. We should beat everyone left, and there's nobody that we're going to be over-matched with, aside from maybe Oregon in the Orange Bowl if we get to 11-2.

I thought this team would get 8 or 9 wins, and they're well on their way to achieving that. I'm content with that, and would consider a 10-win season a great season... as long as two of the remaining wins are against UGA and a bowl

I just want to beat UGA. Really, really bad.

I can stomach the losses to the other teams. I could also get over losing to Duke. They have been competitive and we are playing them in Durham. We struggled there last time and that was the year we won the ACC.

:rotfl:
We struggled for a quarter, maybe.

Beating Clempsun was our first step towards recovery, if we can take VT as well, I think we've got a chance to run the table.

Gotta think we at least finish 9-3 here. Both VT and UGA at home (winnable games and maybe even favored against VT). A duke loss would be nothing short of emarassing. My probabilities of winning taking into account quality of team and home/away:

VT: 60%
@ Duke: 85%
UGA: 50%

So that would be...
~25% chance of 3-0 (10-2)
~47% chance of 2-1 (9-3)
~25% chance of 1-2 (8-4)
~ 3% chance of 0-3 (7-5)

Those also give a 51% chance of beating both VT and Duke and (assuming UVA loses 1 of their last 4 which is extremely likely) going to the ACCCG.

What fans talk about has jackshit to do with how the team performs.

Let's talk about whatever we want.

It's a waste of time. It's more interesting to talk about something after it's actually occurred. All it does is set you up for disappointment.

A bunch of folks on here were talking about having Game Day for the Clemson game and GT had not even played UVA or Miami yet.

UVA has lost 13 straight November games. I don't think we'll need to worry about them, but speculate all you want to.

I just want to beat UGA. Really, really bad.

I can stomach the losses to the other teams. I could also get over losing to Duke. They have been competitive and we are playing them in Durham. We struggled there last time and that was the year we won the ACC.

--this--this--this----GOD please let us whoooop the leg humpers.

The fact that we are playing Virginia Tech with the Coastal Division on the line means that my expectations are met.

If we lose to VT, then I will be disappointed. Mainly because VT is not as good as I thought they were before the season started.

If we lose to Duke, then I'm pissed. They are better than normal, but that will hurt our bowl selection, IMO. If it costs us the Coastal, then I'm irate.

I am not going to write my opinion if we lose to Georgia because it will only spark a bullshit internet debate. But, being that we are this close to Charlotte, I need at least 1 of the two (Charlotte or UGA) to consider this season to beat expectations.

Another crack and Clemson and a good bowl or the Orange Bowl means I get to go to more 4 Tech games instead of 2... So, I'll take that.

That being said, I can definitely see us going into Georgia in the top 15 with a 9-2 record, the Coastal sewn up, and the expectation of a win.

This team is more fun to watch than I expected. UVA and Miami made my eyes bleed, but in the back of my pre-season mind, that's how I thought we could look all season long.

I see us taking one of two out of UGA and VT.

If we beat VT, Duke is a very real stumbling block. College football is emotional and we'd be coming off two emotional victories and be looking ahead to UGA. Combine that with playing in the worst college football atmosphere at Wallace-Wade and you have a letdown. Plus, while duke sucks they have improved under Cutcliffe enough that they can beat you. VT almost found that out last weekend.

We weren't picked to do öööö this year and we're competing hard and in the race for the division title. Young teams can be maddeningly inconsistent (see losses to Virginia & Miami, win over #5 Clemson).

I think we're doing well for a rebuilding year and I'd be estatic if we could pull off any of a division title, a win over UGA, an ACC title, or an Orange Bowl victory.

We lose very few seniors and will be loaded for next year. Let the good times roll!

What GT needs the most out of what is left is a UGAg win and a good bowl win. These are the ONLY games that will help change the perception about GT's shortcomings.

well I guess it would all be tainted with a loss to Duke, so lets go ahead and win that one too

Let's just be concerned with the VT game.

I'm very concerned for the VT game. They probably were preparing for us when they should've been game-planning Duke, which was why that game was so close. Extra prep time isn't good for any opponent, triple option or not.

Making the ACC championship game or beating U(sic)GA would exceed my expectations for the year at this point. I really didn't think Tevin was gonna be an effective starter for us this year, but he's mostly proved me wrong.

I'm very concerned for the VT game. They probably were preparing for us when they should've been game-planning Duke, which was why that game was so close. Extra prep time isn't good for any opponent, triple option or not.

:turbonoes::turbonoes::turbonoes:

Defenses take extra time to prepare for us, but what on earth could have the VPI "offense" have been preparing for that would have had them looking past Duke? They only scored 14 freakin' points against a Duke defense that had given up at least 23 points to every opponent except hapless Boston College. Seems like Stinespring is back to his usual tricks with a new QB. If BDS is rocking like it was Saturday and the D is playing lights out, TechSideline's going to be calling for Stinespring's head by the end of the first quarter.

Even if UVA wins out and we go 10-2 in season, then maybe a BCS Bowl would be available against LSU/Bama in the Sugar Bowl. I'd almost rather.

The Big Ten doesn't need to send two teams this year and certainly the Sugar Bowl knows we'd travel well there.

It's like anything...

Given the implications of the next three games, it just sets up for a "win out or bust", if we want to win the ACCCG, and beat georgia (which I know the fans, and the team damn sure wants to). Beating georgia is a given. We're at home. Haven't beaten them here in far too long, and it's f***ing georgia. As far as the ACC is concerned, we have to beat vpi and duke to get to the championship game. I honestly could live with losing the championship game, and going to the Peach or Sun Bowl, as long as we beat uga. So, as long as we go 10-2, everything else is gravy for me. (Well...maybe winning the ööööing bowl game)

Back