2012 Recruiting Thread

Anything new going on with Dalvin Tomlinson? Heard that Bama may have backed off a bit.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Anything new going on with Dalvin Tomlinson? Heard that Bama may have backed off a bit.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Tomlinson and his coach both said that rumor isn't true...if you missed it there was a free article on Rivals last week with Tomlinson.

Tomlinson and his coach both said that rumor isn't true...if you missed it there was a free article on Rivals last week with Tomlinson.

I know that both of them said that it wasn't true but I think that may be the rumor has legs.

Looking over Alabama's commit list you will see a lot of DL already committed, 3 DT's and 1 DE to be exact. They are also hot on the trail of several big time DE and DT players, Jordan Jenkins is said to be leaning that way as well as Quay Evans. Add to that the fact that Alabama already has 19 commits and the SEC during the off-season capped signings at 25, I doubt that leave any room for Tomlinson at the moment as DL is not their most pressing need to close out their class. Alabama may not yet have closed the door but it is swinging in that direction.

I know that both of them said that it wasn't true but I think that may be the rumor has legs.

Looking over Alabama's commit list you will see a lot of DL already committed, 3 DT's and 1 DE to be exact. They are also hot on the trail of several big time DE and DT players, Jordan Jenkins is said to be leaning that way as well as Quay Evans. Add to that the fact that Alabama already has 19 commits and the SEC during the off-season capped signings at 25, I doubt that leave any room for Tomlinson at the moment as DL is not their most pressing need to close out their class. Alabama may not yet have closed the door but it is swinging in that direction.

Quay Evans is a Miss St lean IMO.

Jenkins is a Bama lean as you said.

I think he's a take for them right now but if he waits it out he could miss the boat.

That 25 rule can be bent...they can work it up to 28 with EE's

Bama has probably offered a lot more Lineman than they can take.

Everybody does that...GT has offers out and are still actively recruiting...DE/NT Faith Ekakitie, NT K'hadree Hooker, DE Dalvin Tomlinson, NT John Atkins, etc.

Bama has probably offered a lot more Lineman than they can take.

Everybody does that...GT has offers out and are still actively recruiting...DE/NT Faith Ekakitie, NT K'hadree Hooker, DE Dalvin Tomlinson, NT John Atkins, etc.

While EricGT's answer is correct, you may be thinking of a different issue which everybody does not do. For example, CPJ will not continue to extend offers to DL recruits after he has commitments from the number of a particular DL he is willing to take. In other words, he won't accept a DL's commitment and then go back to him and say we got somebody better so we won't be accepting your LOI come February.

While EricGT's answer is correct, you may be thinking of a different issue which everybody does not do. For example, CPJ will not continue to extend offers to DL recruits after he has commitments from the number of a particular DL he is willing to take. In other words, he won't accept a DL's commitment and then go back to him and say we got somebody better so we won't be accepting your LOI come February.

That is exactly what I am talking about.

How has the 5-0 start impacted recruiting efforts? Are we getting more looks from recruits we didn't expect?

Are any of our recruits saying anything about the buzz of 5-0 GT? I noticed Kallon had a positive comment for us regarding our 5-0 start. I am hoping that other recruits are getting excited about the future of the program as well.

How has the 5-0 start impacted recruiting efforts? Are we getting more looks from recruits we didn't expect?

Are any of our recruits saying anything about the buzz of 5-0 GT? I noticed Kallon had a positive comment for us regarding our 5-0 start. I am hoping that other recruits are getting excited about the future of the program as well.

At this point of recruiting 2012 kids pretty much know who is in or out. I guess it could help persuade a couple that are on the fence about us...but 2012 is largely done and we know the remaining players.

To make a big splash, finish strong, etc. it will help more for 2013 and 2104 recruiting classes. This would show some consistently with 2 ACC Championship appearances in 3 years should we get there. That is the kind of thing we need to happen...do it every year.

At this point of recruiting 2012 kids pretty much know who is in or out. I guess it could help persuade a couple that are on the fence about us...but 2012 is largely done and we know the remaining players.

To make a big splash, finish strong, etc. it will help more for 2013 and 2104 recruiting classes. This would show some consistently with 2 ACC Championship appearances in 3 years should we get there. That is the kind of thing we need to happen...do it every year.

Interesting. I was just thinking about that. I, pesronally, am a firm believer in PJ's offense (which may sound obvious to many in the Tech camp, but it's not so obvious to most outside of it), and if he stays here for the next five years, I would just have to think that we'll be able to keep winning and turn that into something very positive with recruiting. There are a lot of things working against GT recruiting (fan support, stadium size, conference, academic requirements, narrow curriculum) compared to the factories. But, I have to think that kids like winning, and that winning consistently and often neutralizes a lot of those factors. It sounds obvious and it may be, but I think that for the first time in a long time, GT has the possibility of developing an advantage over many schools in recruiting. We'll not be pulling Bama/LSU recruiting classes, but there is a big difference between being able to consistently pull the players necessary to have great lines and getting the guys that are a few tiers below that. Of course, I'm not knocking any of the guys currently on the team. Just saying it could be an exciting rise.

Well, we have not had a new commit for a while, hopefully somebody jumps on board before too long.

Well, we have not had a new commit for a while, hopefully somebody jumps on board before too long.
There are 2-3 that could happen during season...but they are really not expecting much during the season. The targets are known, for the most part, and the spaces left are few.
The coaches are not worried about getting another public commitment at this point.

Yuri Wright is likely announcing his school at the US Army AA Bowl in San Antonio. Has GT every had a kid pick the Yellow Jackets at that game?
QUOTE]

I would venture to guess that the reason we never get any "media" announcements like that is due to the fact that the type of guy that would need to make an announcement in that manner is never the same type of guy that would be comfortable going to an academic school/"2nd tier" football program....but that's just my take after thinking about it for 10 seconds.

I can't think of any off the top of my head...Uzzi played in it a few years back.

Back