2020 Recruiting

That's what I read. Who cares?

Well, if he was his roommate, then I would consider this a done deal. A little surprised this wasn't done months ago.

EDIT: Dabo and Johnny Howard were definitely on the 1992 Championship team together; so you are probably right.

Last edited:
Well, if he was his roommate, then I would consider this a done deal. A little surprised this wasn't done months ago.

EDIT: Dabo and Johnny Howard were definitely on the 1992 Championship team together; so you are probably right.

It sounds like one of those you keep in your hip pocket just in case you need it because you know it will be there.

It’s insightful to follow recruiting. I rarely do so, but obviously have been since CGC arrived.

But this is one reason I don’t follow it too closely. I’ll tune in with my undivided attention on signing day.

Once the ATL takes over we gonna be beating Clemson's ass

This is also why it's silly to get all high and mighty about GT coaches recruiting over "commits."
Yeah...I think you just keep recruiting and working those relationships until the last day. The numbers often work themselves out organically before any behind the scenes work has to be done. Every year I’ve paid attention to recruiting there are flips both ways late in the process.

Our commits are being stolen by Clemson instead of us stealing commits from FIU and USF at the last second..?

sounds like we’re heading in the right direction

Yeah, there are two spins of this, a) "Wow, teams like Clemson are poaching our recruits", or b) "Oh no, Collins and Key combined got their pocket picked". The truth is neither of those, a close personal friend of Dabo Swinney (and probably a favored friend of Swinney's mom), called in a personal favor. It is what it is; but I don't expect this to be the norm going forward.

On the bright side the recruiting class moved up to 23rd with Howard leaving. (average rating of our recruits went up)

Not talking about quoted poster, but this is exactly why obsessing over exact recruiting numbers is silly. Losing a commit to a top 4 recruiting program does not equal making your recruiting class better... ever.

Coaches do their own evaluations. They don't rely on the recruiting services which is strictly for the fans. If they take a 3 star over a 4 star at a position, expect the 3 star to have a better college career (barring injuries, of course.) The recruiting services do a great job, but they are still only trying to approximate what the coaches actually do.

Yeah, there are two spins of this, a) "Wow, teams like Clemson are poaching our recruits", or b) "Oh no, Collins and Key combined got their pocket picked". The truth is neither of those, a close personal friend of Dabo Swinney (and probably a favored friend of Swinney's mom), called in a personal favor. It is what it is; but I don't expect this to be the norm going forward.

Resisting urge to go full StingTalk here.

If Clemson is your dream school to the point where you’d turn down GT after months of being committed. He should’ve remained uncommitted and just walked on there.

but early commitments these days I think are more of an insurance policy against injury during their high school season more than anything.. the majority end up staying with the first choice tho

Clemson will compete for National Championships during his time there. Hard to fault a kid for wanting to get a piece of that. I would like to think that we can be close to that by the end of his tenure, but he’s taking a more sure thing.

On the education side and the “life-long decision” part of this, Tech is clearly superior (especially if he does engineering). But one can still find a good job and work their way up with a Clemson degree. It’s on the person to do so.

Could be that the player bought into the program early on; but Bama National Championship Team Dad wanted Bama. Bama showed no interest. Bama Championship Dad sees how our season ends and doesn't drink the juice and calls Dabo instead.

Posted this on the hive, but Swinney is likely doing his old man a favor

"100% going to Clemson. A couple Clem ball players I know from back home tell me that a few of the guys (some on scholly) on the team are various "nepotism hires". ie coaches sons, guys who knew the Swinney family, guys whose dads played with him etc.

Obviously what he is doing is working...but I would hate to be one of those kids. Tough to be the silver-spoon kid in a locker room full of people who got their via hard work"

Maybe...but he's probably going to get trim like mad as a Clem football player though. I don't fault the kid. It is what it is. Time to move on from him.

Back