2020 Recruiting

GoGATech

Big Dummy
If we were still taking LB, Romello wouldn't be committed to Miami.
We will likely add another LB to this class, possibly 2 if Tisdol wants to come. I think there was a little more to the Romello story.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
This is the class distribution at 23 commits...

CB - 2
S - 1
LB - 2
DT - 0
DE - 4
OL - 7
TE - 1
WR - 4
RB - 1
QB - 1

Anyone know whether we like Wiggles as a DE or TE? The offensive recruiting in this class seems settled, assuming no attrition. I could easily see us taking several more on defense. Maybe 1 more in the secondary, and easily 2-3 more across the DL. We all have a preference towards true DTs at this point, but I certainly would take an athletic and long edge rusher as well.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
This is the class distribution at 23 commits...

CB - 2
S - 1
LB - 2
DT - 0
DE - 4
OL - 7
TE - 1
WR - 4
RB - 1
QB - 1

Anyone know whether we like Wiggles as a DE or TE? The offensive recruiting in this class seems settled, assuming no attrition. I could easily see us taking several more on defense. Maybe 1 more in the secondary, and easily 2-3 more across the DL. We all have a preference towards true DTs at this point, but I certainly would take an athletic and long edge rusher as well.
Wiggles is defensive. Don't forget the S transfer, which reduces the need there. Yes. DT's. Could use a CB, since we use so many and they make good safeties if they have size.

But the most likely people we would take are if a galaxy player give us a clear signal.

Flywheel

Wait, what year is it?
Yeah, although fluid situations change. Everyone should remember we play a base D with 2 LB's now, so we need less.

Once upon a time a program short of talent would sign a bunch of lb's cuz flexibility. Use them where needed. Special teams, te, grow them todl or shrink them to s.

Today the approach is to balance the roster with players already at or close to prototype size.

Needing so many ol and dl has really whacked out this recruiting class.
You can swap safeties and smaller linebackers, and you can swap big linebackers and edge rushers. But the bookends of a strong defense are when our fastest player is faster than the other guy (CB) and our strongest player is stronger than the guy blocking him (DT). Every good defense needs those.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Any idea on which of our current commits we expect to enroll in January? I'm especially curious about our OL commits. I think having a spring practice and half a year in our strength/conditioning program will be big for prepping these guys to play in 2020.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Any idea on which of our current commits we expect to enroll in January? I'm especially curious about our OL commits. I think having a spring practice and half a year in our strength/conditioning program will be big for prepping these guys to play in 2020.
And our QB.

ramblin57

Varsity Lurker
Just listening, wonder if Lockhart is not going to be a good DT, SDE? Someone on here told me that one or more of our committed DE are LB, the Wright kid has been mentioned as one. For some reason lately I have been getting the feeling we might take only one more DT, it's just a feeling don't know anything.
I know there are people who are questioning our staff coaching ability, but the more I watch what they are doing and how they are going about it the more I'm beginning to think they have a long plan that is going to work and work big time, just my opinion. Certainly time will tell.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
All those crystal balls didn't know öööö on Jay Hardy. He chose Allbarn.
UT fans and apparently coaches completely blindsided. Supposedly he had told the coaches and some other UT commits as recently as yesterday that he was a Vol.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Gleason, Meiguez, and Rankins were all planning on enrolling early last I checked. Could be others, but those are the ones I can remember reading about.

Behrens too, but he’s technically a junior so his “enrolling early” will be on par with the rest of the class. Have to imagine he RSs regardless.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
Gleason, Meiguez, and Rankins were all planning on enrolling early last I checked. Could be others, but those are the ones I can remember reading about.

Behrens too, but he’s technically a junior so his “enrolling early” will be on par with the rest of the class. Have to imagine he RSs regardless.
Behrens is one I have not heard a single thing about since he committed. I wonder if there's a possibility of him re-classifying back to a Junior and playing another year of HS.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Behrens is one I have not heard a single thing about since he committed. I wonder if there's a possibility of him re-classifying back to a Junior and playing another year of HS.
Seems he was on campus for a game a while back. But yeah he is real quiet and I'm having a hard time even finding updates on how his season is going.