2022 Recruiting

Look at it this way... they have 22 commits for this year. They are likely close to being done. On Rivals, they are at #17 but have an average star rating of 2.82 which is good for 62nd place. They only have 2 four stars, 18 three stars, and 2 players with no ranking. We have 5 four stars and 10 three stars with average star rating of 3.33 which would be 25th best.
My favorite part of your post is looking at other schools and saying "they only have 2 four stars."

We're coming back, bay-bee!

There is no really good way numerically to compare the classes. Average star rating is bad because of the massive difference between a low 3 and a high 3 even though it does a good job identifying the top teams. Average rating too affected by 1-2 recruits at the bottom. Really I think the best is to kind of project based on trends and history assuming each team will end up with a full class.

There is no really good way numerically to compare the classes. Average star rating is bad because of the massive difference between a low 3 and a high 3 even though it does a good job identifying the top teams. Average rating too affected by 1-2 recruits at the bottom. Really I think the best is to kind of project based on trends and history assuming each team will end up with a full class.
Pretty sure these rankings don’t take into account transfers. I’m also pretty sure GT had the best injection of transfer players in the country too.

Pretty sure these rankings don’t take into account transfers. I’m also pretty sure GT had the best injection of transfer players in the country too.

Not "best" in terms of rankings of recruits. I'm not as familiar with other programs on this front, but we have to be near the top in terms of quality/quantity/impact specifically on our needs when considered together.

Not "best" in terms of rankings of recruits. I'm not as familiar with other programs on this front, but we have to be near the top in terms of quality/quantity/impact specifically on our needs when considered together.

That's why you can't always tell by rankings - some of these schools that do really well but only recruit down in the 20's have classes that fit together. I am thinking teams like TCU when they were good or Oregon or Stanford who I don't think are ever in the top 10 recruiting but they have been in the rankings. or Baylor even

There is only so much development time, too. If UGA has 8 4* RBs on campus they aren't all getting quality reps to get better but they all contributed to their class rankings.

I like to look at our recruiting in the conference in tiers. Tier 1 the last few years has been Clemson, UNC, FSU or Miami (not in any particular order). The 2020 class we were clearly at the top of the second tier of ACC. Last year (2021) didn't end well for us and we ended up in the 3rd tier. Part of 2021 was because we only took 16; so when you consider the transfers it looks better; but still mid second tier or so. This current class looks like top of the second tier again unless there are some huge surprises.

I don't intend this to be a negative post because if CGC can recruit mid-to-upper second tier without putting up winning seasons, there should be a significant boost to recruiting when we do start winning, and consistent upper second tier recruiting should translate into wins soon.

I like to look at our recruiting in the conference in tiers. Tier 1 the last few years has been Clemson, UNC, FSU or Miami (not in any particular order). The 2020 class we were clearly at the top of the second tier of ACC. Last year (2021) didn't end well for us and we ended up in the 3rd tier. Part of 2021 was because we only took 16; so when you consider the transfers it looks better; but still mid second tier or so. This current class looks like top of the second tier again unless there are some huge surprises.

I don't intend this to be a negative post because if CGC can recruit mid-to-upper second tier without putting up winning seasons, there should be a significant boost to recruiting when we do start winning, and consistent upper second tier recruiting should translate into wins soon.
I like to watch.

I'd say Clemson is in a tier by themselves

Clemsons overall recruiting ranking from 2007 to 2017:
2007: 18th one behind us.
2008: 10th
2009: 36th
2010: 27th
2011: 10th
2012: 20th
2013: 15th
2014: 16th
2015: 9th
2016: Natty.

I believe with winning we can recruit like this ^^^
As evidenced by the above, Clemson’s emergence was driven by Culture moreso than coaching or recruiting. In many ways, we are trying to do the same.

In the old days Tech would get four or so Super Southern 100 recruits per year. And we were pretty competitive. Today we are getting similar top players.

I think 3 stars that fit your program’s needs are like four stars and I see a lot of progress going on here (see DL).

Whrn O’Leary was here, the energy built over time, along with success shortly following. I get the exact same feeling today. We are going to be very good.

Back