2022 Recruiting

Maybe you are right, I freely admit that, however keeping some of these Guys on the Roster at OL that haven't shown much improvement or upside, I mean you have to show one or the other by now.

Those worst case scenario is keeping around guys that are 4th yr Juniors and 3rd year Sophs only to realize that they'll never help you win Games, when that happens at multiple positions, then we are playing with 65-70 'ships instead of the full 85 'ships.

We have to break the bad habits of "doing what we've always done".
No. The way to develop a line is to RS everyone and give them one or two year after to develop. Throwing young linemen in too early is his you screw them up. Next year is when we should begin to see who will pan out.

No. The way to develop a line is to RS everyone and give them one or two year after to develop. Throwing young linemen in too early is his you screw them up. Next year is when we should begin to see who will pan out.
That is a 1980s strategy, I'm not criticizing you, allow me to explain why:

In 2021 P5 FB Recruits rarely play 2 & 3 sports in HS like back in the 80s.

In 2021, P5 Recruits play 1 Sport (FB), maybe 7 on 7 passing Leagues, and they lift weights year round at the HS Level and get specialized instruction from Camps that target developing their Position.

Then when they go to College, they no longer Report in late July for a 2-week transition before the upperclassman arrive, they don't do that anymore, 10 T-Fr usually report in Jan and start lifting & working out in the S&C Program, those that don't report in Jan start college in the first summer session (late May to early June) and start taking classes and start lifting & working out in the S&C Program.

All that above adds up to Coaches are no longer waiting 3 calendar years to see what a Player is, in 2021 Coaches know after 12 months of being in their Program what kind of Player you have.

In 2021, if it takes 3 Calendar years to get a return on a Recruit, then you Recruited the wrong Guy.

Players like Wing Green, Weston Franklin, Vaipulu, maybe Leftwich, they should at least be able to fill in and do something, fire off and blast the guy in front of them.

Wing Green is 6-7 300lbs+ and has been at our Training Table and in our S&C program lifting and sprinting for 15 months, by now he should be able to spell an upperclassman, just based on raw Athleticism alone, are we supposed to wait another year for Guys like that to be able to hit a Guy 12 inches away from him.

Then next yr, the excuse will be we lack game experience.

If our young OLs are taking their FB seriously and eating right and training right, they should be showing more than they have.

Back in the 80s, yeah a lineman needed to be 3 yrs out of HS to compete for serious PT, but those days are long gone.

Our 5th & 6th year guys aren't impressing me, so let's look at the young Guys, we already saw a young OG , and I was shocked at what I saw from him in the Pitt Game, it looked like he doesn't take CFB seriously and it looked like he didn't play his HS FB in Texas where they take their FB very seriously, despite my disappointment, we need to keep finding out how much our young OLs have learned in 15 Months to 18 months since they've been here

I hope you are not a pilot, cuz you would overcorrect like Hell. Someone would die.

Our young OL are coming along fine. Getting a starter as a true freshman plus several freshmen contributors is all you can ask. Things that take time... they take time. You are as bad as the termites you war against on here.

Three seasons is enough time. There are three 6th-year super seniors starting, yet the problems are apparent across all positions. Coach Key is on perilously thin ice IMO.

In 2021, P5 Recruits play 1 Sport (FB), maybe 7 on 7 passing Leagues, and they lift weights year round at the HS Level and get specialized instruction from Camps that target developing their Position.

Then when they go to College, they no longer Report in late July for a 2-week transition before the upperclassman arrive, they don't do that anymore, 10 T-Fr usually report in Jan and start lifting & working out in the S&C Program, those that don't report in Jan start college in the first summer session (late May to early June) and start taking classes and start lifting & working out in the S&C Program.

All that above adds up to Coaches are no longer waiting 3 calendar years to see what a Player is, in 2021 Coaches know after 12 months of being in their Program what kind of Player you have.

In 2021, if it takes 3 Calendar years to get a return on a Recruit, then you Recruited the wrong Guy.

Players like Wing Green, Weston Franklin, Vaipulu, maybe Leftwich, they should at least be able to fill in and do something, fire off and blast the guy in front of them.

Wing Green is 6-7 300lbs+ and has been at our Training Table and in our S&C program lifting and sprinting for 15 months, by now he should be able to spell an upperclassman, just based on raw Athleticism alone, are we supposed to wait another year for Guys like that to be able to hit a Guy 12 inches away from him.

If our young OLs are taking their FB seriously and eating right and training right, they should be showing more than they have.

Back in the 80s, yeah a lineman needed to be 3 yrs out of HS to compete for serious PT, but those days are long gone.

Our 5th & 6th year guys aren't impressing me, so let's look at the young Guys, we already saw a young OG , and I was shocked at what I saw from him in the Pitt Game, it looked like he doesn't take CFB seriously and it looked like he didn't play his HS FB in Texas where they take their FB very seriously, despite my disappointment, we need to keep finding out how much our young OLs have learned in 15 Months to 18 months since they've been here
And I said next year, year 3 and 2 for the young guys. You can spin this however you want but successful programs have upper class OL. I also said “we” will know, meaning the fans. Coaches aleasy have a pretty good idea I would think.

And I said next year, year 3 and 2 for the young guys. You can spin this however you want but successful programs have upper class OL. I also said “we” will know, meaning the fans. Coaches aleasy have a pretty good idea I would think.

60% of the starting OL is in year #6. How much upper class do you need?

Does oversigning OL send the wrong message to the ones here? Think about it. They over sign and you think maybe you jump ship if you are a higher end croot? I’m not sure.

I’ve wondered the exact same thing and I’ll give you a perspective for what it’s worth. I know a team that recruits the very best players at each position no matter who they currently have and then makes the players compete for their positions with no overt loyalty to any player. The very best player in practice plays in the game. Not saying what’s right in every situation but that’s a system I’m familiar with.

I think you are spot on!

Plus don’t we already have numbers at the QB position? Sims, Yates, Beatty for one more year, Peery plus Pyron next year. If everyone is back we don’t need any more QB. Rather take another OL.

Back