2023 Recruiting

Yes, can’t think of year when HS recruiting has meant less. Obviously it’s hard to recruit after winning 3-3-3 and turning your best recruiters over doesn’t help. I doubt you have any of the deep pockets forking over money for “NIL” deals either if they were too cheap to buy Geoff out in the off-season; and dumping money in now would be supporting GC in a way. So our commits are guys looking to lock in a P5 offer early.

Hopefully donors pump some money behind the new coach, and we can have an OK recruiting swing in December when we turn things over.
Hopefully the team wins and we’re not looking for a new coach.

We are front loading, not backfilling. Probably fair to say we are taking kids right away that we may have told to wait in previous years, but it's probably a good strategy. If the wins come, so will the higher rated recruits. If the wins don't come, everyone is fired and most of them decommit.
I think what he meant was that we are getting a similar quality of recruit Now (at the beginning) that we would usually get when we are backfilling at the end of the recruiting cycle..(nothing but low and mid 3stars so far) You may be right right about the strategy of getting someone while you can because this is likely to be a difficult recruit period due to all the turmoil. I hope it won't and don't think it will be a decommit dumpster fire like last year because if the new AD is decent then the new coach probably will be too and the excitement for winning will be higher.

I think what he meant was that we are getting a similar quality of recruit Now (at the beginning) that we would usually get when we are backfilling at the end of the recruiting cycle..(nothing but low and mid 3stars so far) You may be right right about the strategy of getting someone while you can because this is likely to be a difficult recruit period due to all the turmoil. I hope it won't and don't think it will be a decommit dumpster fire like last year because if the new AD is decent then the new coach probably will be too and the excitement for winning will be higher.
Similar to CGC’s backfilling maybe, but these recruits are at or above what CPJ was getting at the height of recruiting.

It is curious why they are accepting so many commits so early from non top level croots.
Indeed. This is what I mean. Seems like we are front loading (thanks Smokey) when we would usually backfill with these types of recruits later in the year. Are we not reserving spots for highly sought after 4 and 5 stars?

Indeed. This is what I mean. Seems like we are front loading (thanks Smokey) when we would usually backfill with these types of recruits later in the year. Are we not reserving spots for highly sought after 4 and 5 stars?
Thinking about your statement a like more, you’re probably about half right. Some of these guys are ranked lower than our initial commits is recent years, but summer of them the staff is really excited to have on board. I think the whole recruiting strategy Avis the NCAA has changed due to a NIL and the transfer portal

Hopefully the team wins and we’re not looking for a new coach.
Yea; that would be the much better alternative. Come out guns blazing and look great early in the season. Open 5-1 and Collins gets the hype train going and gets us back in front of the types of recruits he was talking to 2 & 3 years ago -- and the deep pockets spend their money on NIL vs a coaching buyout. Less likely, but I think that's we're all hoping for.

Yea; that would be the much better alternative. Come out guns blazing and look great early in the season. Open 5-1 and Collins gets the hype train going and gets us back in front of the types of recruits he was talking to 2 & 3 years ago -- and the deep pockets spend their money on NIL vs a coaching buyout. Less likely, but I think that's we're all hoping for.

That way he can go 5-7 and we can all lose our damn minds.

Is our class already full? I don't think we are pulling in 15 "highly sought after 4 and 5 stars". We have plenty of spots reserved for them when they start lining up.

Definitely a different recruiting cycle. No commits til June, followed by 9 lowly rated 3-stars in a week. Also, noticeable that pretty much none of these kids have an SEC offer, or an offer from a prominent P5 program, which shows the NIL impact in my opinion. Kids aren’t going to choose $$ if someone else offers $$$$.

Strange times in CFB.

Definitely a different recruiting cycle. No commits til June, followed by 9 lowly rated 3-stars in a week. Also, noticeable that pretty much none of these kids have an SEC offer, or an offer from a prominent P5 program, which shows the NIL impact in my opinion. Kids aren’t going to choose $$ if someone else offers $$$$.

Strange times in CFB.
4 of the 9 has other P5 offers. 4 of the guys haven’t even been rated yet - which means they probably haven’t been to many camps.
I don’t completely disagree with you though. Recruiting has definitely changed.

If you can't compete with $$$ for the top-rated athletes, you need to find diamonds in the rough with good scouting and pursue promising transfer portal candidates. This is especially true if you are coming off a series of losing seasons. All players come with risks, so things might line up for us, or maybe they won't.

4 of the 9 has other P5 offers. 4 of the guys haven’t even been rated yet - which means they probably haven’t been to many camps.
I don’t completely disagree with you though. Recruiting has definitely changed.
Yea, a lot of of the P5 offers are Maryland, Wake, BC, Cuse, etc. Those schools are in the same boat as us. A few years ago we were getting interest and commits from kids with offers from SCAR, Aub, Arky, Ole Miss, Tenn, FSU, UF, etc. Don’t see many of those anymore and imagine $$ vs $$$$ is the driver.

Little and Mackenny have decent offer lists.

Last edited:
Yea, a lot of of the P5 offers are Maryland, Wake, BC, Cuse, etc. Those schools are in the same boat as us. A few years ago we were getting interest and commits from kids with offers from SCAR, Aub, Arky, Ole Miss, Tenn, FSU, UF, etc. Don’t see many of those anymore and imagine $$ vs $$$$ is the driver.

Little and Mackenny have decent offer lists.
Little and Mackenny are definitely the bright spots so far. I’ll be more concerned if we don’t see an uptick in recruiting after we win a few games in September. But you are correct that we are not seeing the level of recruiting that CGC showed in his first two years.

There are not a lot of schools that can offer $$$$ vs $$. Hopefully, in a year or two those schools get saturated and have no room at which point a lot of quality student athletes get one free transfer. Hopefully the ship starts to right itself before college football is totally sunk.

Is our class already full? I don't think we are pulling in 15 "highly sought after 4 and 5 stars". We have plenty of spots reserved for them when they start lining up.
You need those 4 and 5 stars upfront to get some buzz and momentum going for the class, not on the backend.

Similar to CGC’s backfilling maybe, but these recruits are at or above what CPJ was getting at the height of recruiting.
lol no they aren't. CPJ signed several 4 star guys most years, right now these guys are all unrated, 5.5, or 5.6 on rivals.

Back