2023 Recruiting

You need those 4 and 5 stars upfront to get some buzz and momentum going for the class, not on the backend.

I mean, there is no handbook that says that. In a perfect year, sure, that's a fine strategy, but the 4-stars want to see wins now and we don't have them to show (and they also want assurances that the coach is going to be there beyond next year). So we are taking guys we can comfortably get on the front end.

You need those 4 and 5 stars upfront to get some buzz and momentum going for the class, not on the backend.
It's not rocket science. We're coming off 3 straight 3-win seasons. Those highly ranked 4 and 5 stars aren't trying to jump to the front of the GT line right now. We are taking commits from solid players but it's a two-way street. If we have a good season, it will generate more interest in those type of kids and we still have some room for them, but also some commits may end up getting recruited over. But on the other side of the street, if we crap the bed again, our commits can stay if they chose GT just for GT, or leave if they don't see promise in whatever new leadership we end up with.

Please leave this thread just for the recruiting info and direct discussions.

Go start a different thread for CPJ/Collins recruiting success or what not.

If you can't compete with $$$ for the top-rated athletes, you need to find diamonds in the rough with good scouting and pursue promising transfer portal candidates. This is especially true if you are coming off a series of losing seasons. All players come with risks, so things might line up for us, or maybe they won't.

The issue remains that unless you win a championship in year 1 with these rough diamonds, they go directly into the portal to a factory after they show out.

The writing is on the wall and It's not going to ever work out in this current environment unfortunately. That goes for us and a hundred other schools.

The all time commits list at the bottom of the commits page always amazes me. A large percentage never had an impact.
Don't know about this year but what amazes me is Clemson usually has 8 or 10 that would be in our all time top 10 every year and we hung with them pretty good

The QB means A LOT I guess.

This only goes back about 25 years or so.

Up to #26 now that all commits are rated and we added another OL:

early in the cycle rankings just reflect how many commits the team has.
why don't you compare our average star rating to the other teams in the top 50?
that's a better forecast of where we might finish.

Looking at you link it seems we are in the neighborhood as far as the number most everyone has. It seemed like we were starting late but I guess we caught up.

The jury on Collins as a coach remains in deliberation. The jury on Collins as a recruiter is in: he is not just good but very good.

You guys need to understand how hard it is to recruit in the age of NIL and 9 wins over three years and he is still in the top 30.

I have my issues. I have my concerns. But can we give credit where credit is due and show some respect when respect is earned?

Collins is loading the cupboard. Period.

early in the cycle rankings just reflect how many commits the team has.
why don't you compare our average star rating to the other teams in the top 50?
that's a better forecast of where we might finish.
Or compare average rating within the ACC - we are dead last. Hopefully that's not where we end up come ESD.

Perhaps, “I will make a decision on June 27th.”

Does no one know how to write anymore?

Back