2024 Transfer Portal

Just to back up what I'm saying:
The transfer portal closes on January 2nd and here is a list of the top guys currently in it:

You'll see that most already have new schools.

There is also a 15-day window in May when people can enter the portal but fewer guys do it then and so less likely we find DL then.

So I'm not sure why y'all think we would get more DL players for next season other than "I like the coach so I believe they must have a plan".

The new coach will have relationships with players from previous stops and like you said, the portal will open in Spring . Regardless, no decent coach is going to make staffing decisions based on a couple guys possibly leaving who only had a year left, anyway. Key has pushed the right buttons so far, so no reason to doubt.

The transfer portal closes on January 2nd and here is a list of the top guys currently in it:

There is also a 15-day window in May when people can enter the portal but fewer guys do it then and so less likely we find DL then.

So I'm not sure why y'all think we would get more DL players for next season other than "I like the coach so I believe they must have a plan".
Most? Is that your best accurate assessment of the state of the portal?

Here, I will get it out of the way. Bookmark this for your future "I told you so"

Ohmygosh! You were 100% right. Boy, you told us the coaching staff was totally dropping the ball and we were hard headed and didn't listen. I hope JBatt realizes your genius and gives you a call to make you Keys personal football consultant on the portal.

Man, I would have to be desperate for a job to bite off the GT DC position right now. I know a lot of these players were not high level, but they were better than zilch. Really not much time (or actual talent) left to fill the holes. Just don’t know what we are going to do in this NFL lite free agency

Most? Is that your best accurate assessment of the state of the portal?

Here, I will get it out of the way. Bookmark this for your future "I told you so"

Ohmygosh! You were 100% right. Boy, you told us the coaching staff was totally dropping the ball and we were hard headed and didn't listen. I hope JBatt realizes your genius and gives you a call to make you Keys personal football consultant on the portal.
:dunno: Going back to the Johnson days, I just haven't seen the degree of urgency with DL recruiting/retention that is needed. It got better for a season or two under Collins but unfortunately those guys mostly transferred out. Maybe we need some of the Collins era salesmanship without the Collins era coaching.

For me it's exasperation at not addressing a critical need rather than setting up a told-ya-so

fark_nWTuHa_-qEqRXP1Np-R30ZvEN4M (1).gif

:dunno: Going back to the Johnson days, I just haven't seen the degree of urgency with DL recruiting/retention that is needed. It got better for a season or two under Collins but unfortunately those guys mostly transferred out. Maybe we need some of the Collins era salesmanship without the Collins era coaching.

For me it's exasperation at not addressing a critical need rather than setting up a told-ya-so
Post aged well

Again. Simply not true. GT’s Spring game star (including defensive Spring MVP) DL Akelo Stone joined DB Zamari Walton and landed at Ole Miss with Jarred Ivey. All 3 are playing in less than 15 minutes.

Happy for the 1 DL transfer but so far we're replacing 35 tackles, 2 sacks, and 1 forced fumbles (Douse) with 1 assisted tackle (Tifase)

We've lost 2 of our top 4 tacklers on DL (Kennard, Douse)
Just because players are in the Portal doesn’t mean they won’t come back. Also, no one knows the real reason any player is really in the Portal. Could be numerous factors:

1. Want a change of scenery.
2. Homesick.
3. Academics.
4. Scheme.
5. Coach leaves.
6. Bad advise.
7. Coaches urging players to look elsewhere.

The list goes on.

Man, I would have to be desperate for a job to bite off the GT DC position right now. I know a lot of these players were not high level, but they were better than zilch. Really not much time (or actual talent) left to fill the holes. Just don’t know what we are going to do in this NFL lite free agency
I think it's a good job. You have a very low bar to hurdle. Just kinda stop the run and many will be happy.

It’s funny that you post that link and the first person that pops up is a DL that transfers to GT from FSU

Back