2024 Transfer Portal

The portal reopens May 1 then closes May 15. However grad transfers can happen anytime.

Years ago my son played on a good JV boys basketball team at a high school with a very good varsity girls team (two D1, non power conference recruits). Those two teams scrimmaged frequently with the girls winning a little more often. Many women’s college coaches have tryouts for a men’s practice squad made up of former high school players to practice and scrimmage. The girls typically win more often, but the coaches like challenging their team to play against physically stronger, bigger and more athletic competition than the second team would provide.

What does this prove? Yes, the men would beat the ladies unquestionably if college varsities or high school varsities played one another. Second, the gap is not nearly as wide as many men would like to think. A pretty decent yet unremarkable male athlete who convinces themself they would take Clark one on one, beat Coco in straight sets, or defeat Rose Yang on the golf course are delusional. The ladies are really good.
Horseshit. I was a scrub on the 9th grade team. Literally the 4th point guard. Our varsity girls team head coach used to use us non playing scrubs to scrimmage against our varsity girls team, which was ranked #1 for a while and almost won state. We routinely beat their asses. They could barely get the ball across half court. We were stronger, faster, tougher. It was easier than playing pick up games at the courts.

Horseshit. I was a scrub on the 9th grade team. Literally the 4th point guard. Our varsity girls team head coach used to use us non playing scrubs to scrimmage against our varsity girls team, which was ranked #1 for a while and almost won state. We routinely beat their asses. They could barely get the ball across half court. We were stronger, faster, tougher. It was easier than playing pick up games at the courts.
th-3308227769.jpeg

Years ago my son played on a good JV boys basketball team at a high school with a very good varsity girls team (two D1, non power conference recruits). Those two teams scrimmaged frequently with the girls winning a little more often. Many women’s college coaches have tryouts for a men’s practice squad made up of former high school players to practice and scrimmage. The girls typically win more often, but the coaches like challenging their team to play against physically stronger, bigger and more athletic competition than the second team would provide.

What does this prove? Yes, the men would beat the ladies unquestionably if college varsities or high school varsities played one another. Second, the gap is not nearly as wide as many men would like to think. A pretty decent yet unremarkable male athlete who convinces themself they would take Clark one on one, beat Coco in straight sets, or defeat Rose Yang on the golf course are delusional. The ladies are really good.
The gap is very very wide. I would wager it is wider than most believe rather than the other way around like you would want people to believe. It doesn’t mean girls can’t be good at basketball or sports, but it does mean their bodies are not designed for feats of strength or endurance. In fact there is some evidence to suggest that pursuit of athletic dominance is bad for the female body.

Remember Serena and Venus Williams vs the #300 male player - after a 6-pack of beer, a round of golf, and a handful of cigarettes? I'm gonna guess you forgot that one.

That would’ve been hard to do. However, there was the time a guy from our neighbors across the street ran through the front door, into the courtyard and dove in head first.

the only problem is that there was no water in the pool at the time.
Yeah, broke his neck. Thankfully, no permanent damage. I still see him from time to time.

I don’t know about a physical sport like basketball, but in my day, I had a good friend who was a teaching tennis pro and one of the better players in Atlanta. He was asked to play a warm up match with Chris Evert, who was in town for some reason. Evert drilled him 6-0, 6-0 in about 45 minutes.
Evert’s husband who was ranked like #300 men’s tennis player routinely banged her like a drum, both on the court and off.

I wonder how people like that even get together. Do their people have to talk to each other? Maybe their agents evaluate prospects for their effect on the Q score.
I would guess the same way us poor, unknown people get together. They certainly aren’t immune to the same problems the rest of us have.

3 former Clemson to GT to UMASS players now. Examples of the inexact science of the slowly eroding era of HS recruiting.

It’s going to be all very high 3* to 4,5* players are the only ones signed in the new P4 from HS. Rest of the roster will be Portal.

3 former Clemson to GT to UMASS players now. Examples of the inexact science of the slowly eroding era of HS recruiting.

It’s going to be all very high 3* to 4,5* players are the only ones signed in the new P4 from HS. Rest of the roster will be Portal.
THIS!!!^

Makes a lot of sense, and I haven’t noticed any 1-2 two stars or projects in out last couple of signing classes

As the winter portal officially ends, GT comes in at #13 in the ACC. But if you look at the outgoing vs incoming, GT only lost a few real contributors. Hopefully the spring portal only has additions and no key subractions post spring practice.

More like the real world. You take an entry level job, prove yourself, then have opportunities to move up (internally or to a larger firm with more resources). If you don’t perform well you are replaced with someone who can.

Back