2024 Transfer Portal

How does Clemson only get a D if they haven’t signed a single player from the portal???

I'll never understand this Clemson and anti-portal thing. He's going to destroy his legacy there.
Dabo has said time after time lately that Clemson takes care of their own. He wants to remain a development “organization” through traditional recruiting.

If you look at the Portal losses, only a couple are really players who have done much. WR Beaux Collins (to ND) and S Andrew Mukumba (to Texas). That’s about it.

With the CFP expanding to 12 and the ACC what it is, they will continue to have an easier path to the CFP until they leave. If things don’t improve this year, I have a feeling he’ll be more active in the Portal going forward.

It’s still stupid. They have the means to cherry pick some of the better players from less rich P5 schools. I respect that he’s taking that stand, but it’s hurting them.
Hope Dabo sticks to his method. We will catch up to them sooner rather than later.
From the interview he did last week on XM Radio’s Dusty & Danny, he repeatedly said he’s all about culture. His problem with the Portal is, it’s not about creating a culture and he isn’t about the one and done type players. It’s hard to vet the type of personality walking into the LR vs a kid you spent a long time recruiting. Clemson continues to recruit at a Top 5-10 level, and he’s good with that model of player development.

Dabo said he’s not against the Portal, but will be very selective if / when they need it. But continues to point towards the amount of players Clemson puts in the NFL as a reason he doesn’t feel they need it. Whether that’s right or wrong remains to be seen. Most of the bigger schools in that same convo (tOSU, Texas, Bama, fill in the blank here) are sort of just now really filling needs via the Portal. Word is, this was Saban’s final straw. He was tired of having to re-recruit his own players.

Oregon, Ole Miss look to be the biggest example’s of using the Portal to fill needs right now. Lanning is really going after every kid he recruited while at uga (even if they signed elsewhere). Latest example is now former Bama 5* S Woodyard.

While it’s a risk, Clemson while a member in the ACC has all the resources it takes to make the CFP in the 12-team model and Dabo feels from there anything can happen.

It’s still stupid. They have the means to cherry pick some of the better players from less rich P5 schools. I respect that he’s taking that stand, but it’s hurting them.

I can respect him not running players off to make roster space, I don't really understand not taking in some top transfer when you have roster space.

I can respect him not running players off to make roster space, I don't really understand not taking in some top transfer when you have roster space.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure they recruited guys out of the portal this cycle. They were just selective and unsuccessful.

Agreed with a poster above though, everybody knows Clemson’s rise was due to paying players. And now suddenly they’re sliding with the birth of NIL. All things being equal, nobody actually wants to be in SC.

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure they recruited guys out of the portal this cycle. They were just selective and unsuccessful.

Agreed with a poster above though, everybody knows Clemson’s rise was due to paying players. And now suddenly they’re sliding with the birth of NIL. All things being equal, nobody actually wants to be in SC.
Anyone else think that uga will beat Clem&son like a drum this fall?

Dabo will retire before long IMO. If he hates the new landscape this much, there's nothing left here for him to do, and he's already won titles and been paid well. He's not going to change the tides.

Saban-lite ending. Saban just saw the writing on the wall sooner and could already afford a luxury beach home.

The only four schools in the country to take absolutely zero transfers in the spring portal window are Army, Navy, Air Force, and.... You guessed it - Clemson.

Dabo will retire before long IMO. If he hates the new landscape this much, there's nothing left here for him to do, and he's already won titles and been paid well. He's not going to change the tides.

Saban-lite ending. Saban just saw the writing on the wall sooner and could already afford a luxury beach home.

I think Dabo goes to Bama when the current guy fails.

Back