2025 Recruiting

Correct, but it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do for the game. It was actually better in a relative sense in the old bagman days. Think Prohibition vs Legalization of dranking. Size matters. NIL $$$ >>> Bagmen $.
I just disagree. I spent my 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s watching schools win and flaunt it all while they were paying players and being protected. Why do you think UGA took that huge step in winning big games between Richt and Kirby? It was because Kirby learned the bag system at Bama. Kirby’s not some coaching savant (neither was Saban). What they have in common is a bag system that got them studs on defense. Now, the recruiting advantage gap has declined and you hear Kirby whining about his lack of depth because guys are using the portal. The old system you liked was professional wrestling. It was fake. We will all see over the next 15 years as players choose other schools since everyone now has a bag system, that these so called power schools were built on cheating on NCAA protection. Now that everyone can “cheat” and the NCAA is toothless you’ll suddenly see a lot more losses by these so called blue blood schools. It’s gonna be awesome to watch.

I just disagree. I spent my 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s watching schools win and flaunt it all while they were paying players and being protected. Why do you think UGA took that huge step in winning big games between Richt and Kirby? It was because Kirby learned the bag system at Bama. Kirby’s not some coaching savant (neither was Saban). What they have in common is a bag system that got them studs on defense. Now, the recruiting advantage gap has declined and you hear Kirby whining about his lack of depth because guys are using the portal. The old system you liked was professional wrestling. It was fake. We will all see over the next 15 years as players choose other schools since everyone now has a bag system, that these so called power schools were built on cheating on NCAA protection. Now that everyone can “cheat” and the NCAA is toothless you’ll suddenly see a lot more losses by these so called blue blood schools. It’s gonna be awesome to watch.
I mean this isn’t exactly true either. Some of you may not like what Roddy Jones said on XM Radio recently when comparing GT to the other schools around GT, but it’s a reality. To sum it up:

1. Advantage of resources/$$$ at Bama, Clemson, etc.
2. Advantage of overall support at all levels (school, support staff, fans).
3. State of Georgia population growth since 2000 has been a pipeline to Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, FSU, UF, etc.

Roddy reiterated the known truth related to a nearly broke AA, and a flawed AD hire post D-Rad who did not care about football. He did mention a bit of stubbornness to change recruiting philology as well.

He was asked specifically about uga now vs under CMR. And said the reality of the situation as well. There really isn’t much difference outside of the 4 team CFP. The CFP allowed uga to get in despite a loss, while under CMR a loss in the sec championship was the end of the year. He mentioned 2012 specifically that regardless of who played ND, they would have won.

Sorry Option, but to specifically say Saban was not a coaching savant, and the bag system was the direct correlation to his success at LSU and then Bama is very far fetched. I can’t stand Bama, but he is one of the greatest coaches in history. Period. And who does CBK say has a huge influence on his career? Saban. The Portal was only available his last 2 years before retiring. Every school could have done the same thing he did. In fact, most did by adding support staff analyst who were previously let go coaches.

I mean Bear Bryant, Tom Osbourne, <fill in the blank> at OU, etc back in the day could take in as many players as they wanted and place them in waiting. And who knows how much $$$ was passed to players during those coaching tenures with no media, 24/7 eyes on anything and everything going on at all programs.

I mean this isn’t exactly true either. Some of you may not like what Roddy Jones said on XM Radio recently when comparing GT to the other schools around GT, but it’s a reality. To sum it up:

3. State of Georgia population growth since 2000 has been a pipeline to Clemson, Alabama, Auburn, FSU, UF, etc.

Roddy reiterated the known truth related to a nearly broke AA, and a flawed AD hire post D-Rad who did not care about football. He did mention a bit of stubbornness to change recruiting philology as well.

He was asked specifically about uga now vs under CMR. And said the reality of the situation as well. There really isn’t much difference outside of the 4 team CFP. The CFP allowed uga to get in despite a loss, while under CMR a loss in the sec championship was the end of the year. He mentioned 2012 specifically that regardless of who played ND, they would have won.

Sorry Option, but to specifically say Saban was not a coaching savant, and the bag system was the direct correlation to his success at LSU and then Bama is very far fetched. I can’t stand Bama, but he is one of the greatest coaches in history. Period. And who does CBK say has a huge influence on his career? Saban. The Portal was only available his last 2 years before retiring. Every school could have done the same thing he did. In fact, most did by adding support staff analyst who were previously let go coaches.

I mean Bear Bryant, Tom Osbourne, <fill in the blank> at OU, etc back in the day could take in as many players as they wanted and place them in waiting. And who knows how much $$$ was passed to players during those coaching tenures with no media, 24/7 eyes on anything and everything going on at all programs.
I had a long response typed up but who cares. Saban used the bagman system of the SEC to great success. He didn’t have it at Miami or Mich St and shockingly he was an average coach. But he won Natties while having the best bagman system in the sport and has the moniker as GOAT because of it. Good for him. And it’s no surprise that his coaching tree has had success using that same system. But NIL has nullified that advantage so we’ll see how it unfolds the next 20 years.

And GT is not a poor school. GT plays their fans for fools when it comes to money because no one actually cares about athletics in the GT administration. Sure, Cabrera has been better than his predecessors but that’s not saying much. GT has MORE money than UGA and Bama yet pretend they don’t. GT has improved in hoops and football because we were at rock bottom with Pastner and Collins so anyone would have been an improvement. And we hired a young guy in JBatt who made good hires who wants to build his resume. The real question will be in 3-4 years from now when JBatt, Stoudamire, and possibly Key are all poached by SEC schools. Then we’ll see how committed GT is to athletics.

but to specifically say Saban was not a coaching savant

he is one of the greatest coaches in history. Period.
You know these two things are not mutually exclusive, don’t you? A great CEO coach can surround himself with great football minds and be successful without being a true football savant himself. Do you think Dabo and Kirby are football savants? I don’t, but they both have 2 titles.

I had a long response typed up but who cares. Saban used the bagman system of the SEC to great success. He didn’t have it at Miami or Mich St and shockingly he was an average coach. But he won Natties while having the best bagman system in the sport and has the moniker as GOAT because of it. Good for him. And it’s no surprise that his coaching tree has had success using that same system. But NIL has nullified that advantage so we’ll see how it unfolds the next 20 years.

And GT is not a poor school. GT plays their fans for fools when it comes to money because no one actually cares about athletics in the GT administration. Sure, Cabrera has been better than his predecessors but that’s not saying much. GT has MORE money than UGA and Bama yet pretend they don’t. GT has improved in hoops and football because we were at rock bottom with Pastner and Collins so anyone would have been an improvement. And we hired a young guy in JBatt who made good hires who wants to build his resume. The real question will be in 3-4 years from now when JBatt, Stoudamire, and possibly Key are all poached by SEC schools. Then we’ll see how committed GT is to athletics.
He went to MSU who was hit with sanctions and loss of scholarships and never had a losing season. Saban has 1 losing season as an HC, period between 4 CFB jobs (Toledo, MSU, LSU, Bama) and the Dolphins. LSU was floundering before Saban. Bama was also down if you recall.

Not sure what you and others consider a great coach, but his career as an assistant coach and HC speaks for itself.

The other stuff is not 1 in the same. That has been discussed time after time. GT the school does not nor should it have to take funds donated for academics and research and distribute it to athletics. Just like LSU AA for example is bringing in a ton of $$$, while LSU the school is not doing well.

You know these two things are not mutually exclusive, don’t you? A great CEO coach can surround himself with great football minds and be successful without being a true football savant himself. Do you think Dabo and Kirby are football savants? I don’t, but they both have 2 titles.
Of course. But Saban has always been ahead of the curve and set the bar on how to run a college football program. He was always finding holes in the NCAA’s rules (ex. staff size) and ended up hiring a ton of former HC’s to rebuild their careers with on ANnd off the field roles. And you see coaches under him who have now taken what they’ve learned and gone elsewhere and elevated programs (Sark - Texas, Kiffin - Ole Miss, smart - uga).

100% agreed smart nor Dabo are savants. But I’ll say Saban is/was like Belichick. Alabama has been the definition of how to run a program in the modern era.

If winning was so easy at these larger schools like Saban, smart, Dabo, Day, etc as “CEO’s” are doing, programs like UF, TAMU, Tennessee, FSU, Texas (until last year), USC, PSU, etc wouldn’t be as inconsistent as they are to get to and stay at that next level year in and year out. Heck, Miami and Nebraska with all the history and support are middling programs.

Ask any coach and they’ll tell you, winning 1 game isn’t easy, let alone going undefeated or a season with 1 loss.

He got his tail kicked at the level where a draft and salary cap prevented him from stacking the roster.

Of course. But Saban has always been ahead of the curve and set the bar on how to run a college football program. He was always finding holes in the NCAA’s rules (ex. staff size) and ended up hiring a ton of former HC’s to rebuild their careers with on ANnd off the field roles. And you see coaches under him who have now taken what they’ve learned and gone elsewhere and elevated programs (Sark - Texas, Kiffin - Ole Miss, smart - uga).

100% agreed smart nor Dabo are savants. But I’ll say Saban is/was like Belichick. Alabama has been the definition of how to run a program in the modern era.

If winning was so easy at these larger schools like Saban, smart, Dabo, Day, etc as “CEO’s” are doing, programs like UF, TAMU, Tennessee, FSU, Texas (until last year), USC, PSU, etc wouldn’t be as inconsistent as they are to get to and stay at that next level year in and year out. Heck, Miami and Nebraska with all the history and support are middling programs.

Ask any coach and they’ll tell you, winning 1 game isn’t easy, let alone going undefeated or a season with 1 loss.
I get it and I like Saban. But it is easy to win when you have the best money laundering system and the NCAA enforcement branch in your pocket. (See Kirby for taking over the system). Saban isn’t anywhere near the same category as Belichek. Belichick did it in a system with parity. Saban not so much. Again, I like Saban as he held UGA in check for a while, but Kirby is proof that Nattys come rather easily when you “bagman” better than others. Luckily, NIL and the portal will keep Kirby from rattling off 6 out of 9.

tennessee scores

He got his tail kicked at the level where a draft and salary cap prevented him from stacking the roster.
1 losing season in his career (CFB, NFL) as a coach, was with the Dolphins. But getting his “teeth kicked in” by going 9-7, 6-10 is an exaggeration. His failure with the Dolphins was solely picking Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees coming off a major injury. Had Saban picked Brees, Alabama football more than likely never goes on the run they did. And CFB may look a whole lot different today.

I get it and I like Saban. But it is easy to win when you have the best money laundering system and the NCAA enforcement branch in your pocket. (See Kirby for taking over the system). Saban isn’t anywhere near the same category as Belichek. Belichick did it in a system with parity. Saban not so much. Again, I like Saban as he held UGA in check for a while, but Kirby is proof that Nattys come rather easily when you “bagman” better than others. Luckily, NIL and the portal will keep Kirby from rattling off 6 out of 9.
Conspiracy theory much? Come on already. He won at Michigan State who were NCAA sanctions from a previous HC. Did they have the “best money laundering system” at the time? He took over an LSU program that was broken. Same for Alabama coming off NCAA sanctions and having Shula as the HC.

I get it now. Only programs that win have the “best money laundering system” in place. I wonder why Texas, TAMU, Miami, etc haven’t figured that out by now? I mean if all it takes is a large chunk of $$$$ and all. I guess it was just Nick and his understudies that have figured out the cheat code to success.

Conspiracy theory much? Come on already. He won at Michigan State who were NCAA sanctions from a previous HC. Did they have the “best money laundering system” at the time? He took over an LSU program that was broken. Same for Alabama coming off NCAA sanctions and having Shula as the HC.

I get it now. Only programs that win have the “best money laundering system” in place. I wonder why Texas, TAMU, Miami, etc haven’t figured that out by now? I mean if all it takes is a large chunk of $$$$ and all. I guess it was just Nick and his understudies that have figured out the cheat code to success.
I like Saban and he is a good coach. Never said he wasn’t. But he isn’t the GOAT in my opinion because he had the bag man system in place. You can call that a conspiracy all you want, but everyone knows it’s true. Auburn won a Natty doing the same thing (and yes, a large chunk of money is all it takes at times - just ask National Championship coach Chizik). And Kirby learned it from him (and hopefully Key has as well). You keep bringing up other teams like Texas, TAMU, and Miami but those schools aren’t doing what Bama did and is doing. Saban and Kirby are showing exactly what happens when you have a good coach and a school willing to sell out to win. Nobody else has done that the last decade. Ohio State did under Meyer and they won just like he did at Florida. Those other schools aren’t willing to sell their soul. They absolutely should though. I wish GT would pay and take in every dude who can’t read or write but could help us win like UGA and Bama (and previously Florida and OSU did). It’s not hard to win when you have bought and paid for 1st and 2nd rounders composing your defense. NIL know let’s us everyone do it so we’ll see how these dynasties fair moving forward.

Back