3-3. Improvement.

Beej1953

Helluva Engineer
Saved by the one call by the refs that actually went our way - the offensive holding on Duke’s next-to-last drive wiped out a 1st down that would have likely let Duke run out the clock for the win. Instead, it’s 2nd & 15 and Cutcliffe goes ultra conservative to set up a punt.

Liberty

Kayar hunu bhanda marnu ramro
Glad we won, but not sure I understand the celebrating. We got A LOT of work to do. A win is better than a loss, but we need a gut check before lacing them up again. Too many missed assignments, way too much getting beat on one-on-ones, etc. Sloppy play will lose you the 50-50 games almost 100% of the time.

That all being said, we’re 3-3, where we expected to be. If we can manufacture 2 more wins we end up 5-7, right where we expected to be pre-season.

Beej1953

Helluva Engineer
Was not able to watch, and radio switched to pre-game Braves coverage at the end of the 3rd quarter, but if the box score is any indication, Sims illustrated his best and worst traits in this game. If he can ever pull it all together, he could be very good.
Way more mobile than Yates and probably a stronger arm, but gets antsy in the pocket and accuracy is poor. Made some nice throws at the end though. I’m still surprised Collins/Patenaude didn’t try to mix things up a little when offense stagnated in the second half, by bringing Yates in for at least a series or two.

Beej1953

Helluva Engineer
Saved by the one call by the refs that actually went our way - the offensive holding on Duke’s next-to-last drive wiped out a 1st down that would have likely let Duke run out the clock for the win. Instead, it’s 2nd & 15 and Cutcliffe goes ultra conservative to set up a punt.
I was a little surprised by them not overruling the winning TD call though - thought for sure they’d find a way to screw us over at the end.

gtfan088

Dodd-Like
Can we win two in a row? Haven't done that yet in the Collins era.

theDude47

Dodd-Like
Just feels like both sides of the ball don't have an idea of what their "identity" is and the coaches seem afraid to stick with anything even if it's working
For offense, I totally agree. P’naude is both too all over the place and too strict in his 50-50 balance. His beginning drives are usually scripted pretty well but then he doesn’t learn from what happens. It was clear from the first couple of drives that getting the ball to Gibbs in the passing game and running some zone reads with Sims using his legs would probably give us our best chance. Along with letting him air it out deep and use our WR’s height. He then goes away from these plays and decides to run it up the gut just cause he wants ultimate balance. We end up looking completely disjointed.

Thacker, on the other hand, found the 3-3-5 and decided to ride or die with it. It worked against UNC and sure surprised them but it’s apparent our last couple of opponents have figured out how to best attack it (power run game and play action off of it). He’s definitely a smart young coach but he’s not particularly good on adapting with what’s working and not.

Vespid

Billy Jacks Illegitimate Son
No, that was a bad win. Glad we won, but it was still a bad win.

In year 3, a "good season" would be getting to 6 wins. I don't see that happening after back-to-back poor performances.
Not so sure that was a bad win. Maybe. One thing is glaringly obvious though. Our depth on the OL is razor thin. We lose one guy, difficult sledding ahead. We lose two? Duke shuts us down and Pitt embarrasses us.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
I think we will be about even against uva and VT, and maybe favored for UVA. Hopefully we are healthy by then.
I’m not seeing it. UVA and VPI are both much better than Duke and have good coaching staffs. They will be able to run and hang with us. I will root for a win but they will be surprising to me. We really were very close to losing this game badly, we are more like Kansas than UNC.

theDude47

Dodd-Like
I’m not seeing it. UVA and VPI are both much better than Duke and have good coaching staffs. They will be able to run and hang with us. I will root for a win but they will be surprised to me. We really were very close to losing this game badly, we are more like Kansas than UNC.
If Cut decides to go for it on a few more of those 4th downs, they win today going away.