6th stage of grief. Optimism.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
So Joe posts this in the game thoughts thread and I wanted to comment.

I would say we are still fairly early on our 5 stages. I'm catching wind of a handful of deniers, although that crowd is fading after the last 2 losses. Clearly there is a large contingent that fall within the anger bucket. I personally am bargaining with the reality that it will take time to turn-over this roster to support the offense we would like to run at a P5 level. I'm working toward coping with the fact that this likely will be a multiple season rebuild project. I applaud those of you who are already accepting of the present realities of GT football. You are clearly the more advanced of all of us.
I know we all love GT football and I can empathize with investing a lot into it. But how is anyone not at the accepting stage right now? How could you not have come into the season knowing the likely downside is what you are seeing? Did the doctor only give you one year to live? What excuse do you have for so much negativity? This is a major rebuild. We feared it while harboring cautious optimism but our optimism was misplaced.

So we have some idiots saying öööö like "Why did we throw the ball so much? We coulda had a chance if we yada yada."

This reminds me a lot of the idiots who last year (and earlier this season) thought the Braves should have traded the farm to satisfy their bizzare desire to win now. Thats not how you rebuild long term.

W and L dont matter. At all. Not an iota this year. They matter as much as they did in 88. We literally have to be focused on recruits first and player development a close second and wins about 6th.

The worst though, is the ööööwads who use GT to try to assuage their own ööööty existence by projectile vomiting out complaints about the players having fun or keeping morale up or having an upbeat attitude. Get a life. To win in 2021 and beyond we HAVE to have recruits and player development. No recruit wants to come somewhere full of depressed ööööwads constantly backbiting. They want to go somewhere fun and upbeat and family.

For better or worse, these coaches are sure as öööö GT family through the end of this year and probably well beyond. Stop looking at the irrelevant öööö that means we squeak out 4-8 vs 1-11. You really ööööing care about Temple? UNC this week? Ridiculous.

The only thing that you should be looking at right now unless you are a player development expert is recruiting rankings. If you cant be happy with those I beg you for the good of the program get off the bandwagon and we will be the first ones to pick you up when these bigtime recruits start racking up the wins.

For real. Come to the home games and focus on your friends and the tailgate and chill on the score for once. Consider taking the family camping or whatever next away game (i did that this weekend and they were hunting bears up there). Or just take a break and we will absolutely welcome you back on the bandwagon when these recruits get it rolling.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
I reserve the right to put my optimism on hold until I see how the recruitment hype train negotiates the optics of a really inept offensive coaching strategy.

I’ve said this before and I will state it again, I can handle losing any game this season as long as I see that the coaches are employing a strategy that, at the least, demonstrates a clear plan for the future of this offense. Thus far, I’ve seen what amounts to a continuation of spring scrimmages. No continuity. No improvement. Just rotating players with nothing resembling offensive strategy or the creation of any kind of cohesive playbook. Again, I’ll use the work “optics” - the optics suggest a complete clusteröööö on the offensive side of the ball.

I’m pleased with the defense. On that side of things, the weaknesses appear to be rooted in too much time on the field and a lack of depth on the line, but I’m at least seeing cohesion and strategy.

Hopefully, our recruitment doesn’t tank due to what looks like ineptitude from our HC and OC.

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
I reserve the right to put my optimism on hold until I see how the recruitment hype train negotiates the optics of a really inept offensive coaching strategy.

I’ve said this before and I will state it again, I can handle losing any game this season as long as I see that the coaches are employing a strategy that, at the least, demonstrates a clear plan for the future of this offense. Thus far, I’ve seen what amounts to a continuation of spring scrimmages. No continuity. No improvement. Just rotating players with nothing resembling offensive strategy or the creation of any kind of cohesive playbook. Again, I’ll use the work “optics” - the optics suggest a complete clusteröööö on the offensive side of the ball.

I’m pleased with the defense. On that side of things, the weaknesses appear to be rooted in too much time on the field and a lack of depth on the line, but I’m at least seeing cohesion and strategy.
i agree. Also any disapproval of the current state of affairs is treated like treason. This shut the öööö up and be happy with öööö coaching attitude was what most of you who hated CPJ used to go up against trying to voice any displeasure with the status quo. Now you’re doing it to others.

Ish

Dodd-Like

Hopefully, our recruitment doesn’t tank due to what looks like ineptitude from our HC and OC.
You're seeing what you want to see. There was definitely improvement and a solid strategy saturday, as crazy as it sounds given our point total. But we moved the ball up and down the field much better than any prior game, and if TO hadn't fumbled we would have done pretty well. But he did fumble, and we only scored 2 points, so people like you think the coaches are morons.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I'm with you. I can actually understand the option loyalists being supremely butthurt, as they are getting the double whammy of watching everything they love being dismantled, and then losing to boot. But anyone who was on board with the change at the beginning still should be. This doesn't preclude reasonable questions about personnel decisions or playcalling, but the "sky is falling" stuff is dumb.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
You're seeing what you want to see. There was definitely improvement and a solid strategy saturday, as crazy as it sounds given our point total. But we moved the ball up and down the field much better than any prior game, and if TO hadn't fumbled we would have done pretty well. But he did fumble, and we only scored 2 points, so people like you think the coaches are morons.
Yet, in four quarters we couldn’t score a touchdown against ööööing Temple.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Honest question, how are we doing so far on that front?

The "clear plan for the future of this offense" is player development.

Coach keeps telling you that. Nobody is listening.

We are literally looking at an 8 game NFL preseason for the 2020 season. We are getting game reps for anyone who might be able to help us next year. For some players that will springboard them to a great GT career. Some of these reps will pay dividends in future years with depth that will help us weather injuries.

Looking for an offensive philosophy at this time simply doesnt make sense. Our 2021 team is going to look nothing like this team.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Yet, in four quarters we couldn’t score a touchdown against ööööing Temple.
Why does that particular fact matter so much to you? What percent of the focus that we are putting on recruits and player development should be diverted over to make sure we lose 9-24 instead of 2-24?

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I'm with you. I can actually understand the option loyalists being supremely butthurt, as they are getting the double whammy of watching everything they love being dismantled, and then losing to boot. But anyone who was on board with the change at the beginning still should be. This doesn't preclude reasonable questions about personnel decisions or playcalling, but the "sky is falling" stuff is dumb.
Correct. I would like to see more "emotional intelligence" on the board, as hopeless as that sounds, when people are criticizing.

Everyone has to criticize their children. Think how do you do it. Can we not criticize this team in a manner that is a touch more spoonful of sugar rather than over and over projectile vomit of visceral verbal hate?

Akinji07

Moderator you deserve
Staff member
Correct. I would like to see more "emotional intelligence" on the board, as hopeless as that sounds, when people are criticizing.

Everyone has to criticize their children. Think how do you do it. Can we not criticize this team in a manner that is a touch more spoonful of sugar rather than over and over projectile vomit of visceral verbal hate?
I think blaming the current coaches is a lot less hateful and more constructive than talking about how ööööty the players are and how it’s all the previous coach’s fault that they’re so ööööty.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
Honest question, how are we doing so far on that front?

The "clear plan for the future of this offense" is player development.

Coach keeps telling you that. Nobody is listening.

We are literally looking at an 8 game NFL preseason for the 2020 season. We are getting game reps for anyone who might be able to help us next year. For some players that will springboard them to a great GT career. Some of these reps will pay dividends in future years with depth that will help us weather injuries.

Looking for an offensive philosophy at this time simply doesnt make sense. Our 2021 team is going to look nothing like this team.
Okay.

Not seeing “player development” either - perhaps because players can’t get into any kind of rhythm.

Look. I sincerely hope you are right. I want this coach and this program to be successful. Right now, though, those pieces aren’t falling into place for me.

Last edited:

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
Why does that particular fact matter so much to you? What percent of the focus that we are putting on recruits and player development should be diverted over to make sure we lose 9-24 instead of 2-24?
whynotboth.gif

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect an offensive score against a G5 opponent regardless of our current state of rebuilding :dunno:

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
whynotboth.gif

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect an offensive score against a G5 opponent regardless of our current state of rebuilding :dunno:
Thats a sad dodge that is beneath you. Coaches have to make hard choices with their time. They do not have unlimited time.

Answer the question. What % of time spent on recruiting and player development should be shifted?

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
I think blaming the current coaches is a lot less hateful and more constructive than talking about how ööööty the players are and how it’s all the previous coach’s fault that they’re so ööööty.
Yes. We could be more emotionally intelligent criticizing the coaches. We should criticize the current players like we would our own kids. Criticizing the retired coach is largely disgraceful, like criticizing a dead grandfather. Let it ööööing go for petes sake.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
Thats a sad dodge that is beneath you. Coaches have to make hard choices with their time. They do not have unlimited time.

Answer the question. What % of time spent on recruiting and player development should be shifted?
Um, a head coach’s job description includes “coaching the team”. He’s the CEO. As such “not enough time” should not be in his vocabulary when it comes to questions of job performance on all facets of his primary job duties.

Much in the way CPJ was criticized for his lack of performance re: recruiting (and rightly so), CGC should be held accountable for poor performance in regard to his coaching of the offense.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
Just okay? Interesting. Is this not our best class in 30 years excepting the other class CGC worked on?
“Okay” was in response to your position on “player development” being the primary strategy.

I agree the recruiting thus far has been stellar. I’m excited. I hope it holds up though the optics of the on-field performance.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
i agree. Also any disapproval of the current state of affairs is treated like treason. This shut the öööö up and be happy with öööö coaching attitude was what most of you who hated CPJ used to go up against trying to voice any displeasure with the status quo. Now you’re doing it to others.
I couldn’t care less if you disapprove of the season so far, but don’t spew a bunch of bullshit and not at least expect your argument to be rebutted. I think the majority of us get the deal at this point. Any gold-colored glasses about this transition being easy and painless have gone out of focus at this point.

I look forward to where CGC can lead this program. I think he is the right guy for this task and hopefully longer.

I’m more skeptical on Patenaude, but do believe his task is monumental. It’s not only about the players being a bad scheme fit...it’s that the entire offense is seeing everything at this level for the first time. Schematically, teams defended the 3-O completely differently than they are defending us this year. Couple that with lesser talent in areas and it’s been really bad. Obviously it’s hard to ignore a goose egg on the scoreboard, but we actually moved the ball up and down the field decently well against Temple. We topped 300 yards of offense, which is right in line with what Maryland did at Temple the week after laying 650 yards against Syracuse.

Maybe things aren’t as good or as bad as they seem? I plan to wait at least until they’ve had a full season or two before I act like a whiney, little bitch about it.