A Talk with Campus Leaders

As a public school, I really think our model should be closer to University of California than Stanford or MIT.
Nothing wrong with their engineering or overall academic standing either.

"I asked if we could defer calculus to the sophomore for that major and from their reaction, it was clear that this had been discussed. (Thanks Cracker.) The answer was no, because they don't want to dilute the academic rigor of GT. There was scattered applause throughout the crowd."

What a stupid phucking answer! What does calculus have to do with this major, other than make it superficially hard for students which will have no need for it after graduation? Div 3 here we come, with nerds like this in control. It is really sad for me to see this road we are on.

Yep. And this Dr Bras guy has a position of responsibility? His reference makes no sense. He was wrong about MIT football, and to compare GT to mit.

screw him, and his underlings.

If people don't think beamer's contributions have enhanced vt they are out of their mind.

It's standard gay nerd meet other gay nerd Internet forum knowledge that a = is an inch. So congrats on your 4 inch penis.

ftfy

btw, you seem like an expert. do you know archiTECH?

ftfy

btw, you seem like an expert. do you know archiTECH?

HbGpz.gif

Why would we be compared to MIT? They wish they were compared to us.
sometimes happens

When I was with GT motorsports, MIT sent several students to the competition in England to do research for starting their own team.

They since started their team, but it seems like they might have already given up on Formula SAE and going the electric route.

In the midatlantic, TECH meant Georgia Tech prior to Beamer and VPIs success. Now it clearly means Virginia Tech.

We are not MIT and quite frankly, THANK GOD!

In the midatlantic, TECH meant Georgia Tech prior to Beamer and VPIs success. Now it clearly means Virginia Tech.

We are not MIT and quite frankly, THANK GOD!

Yeah, being the world's consensus #1 engineering school would be awful. :rotfl:

It's still a calculus course. I think the name is a bit odd, as the course would be called "Business Calculus" or "Calculus for Management and Social Sciences" elsewhere. A lot of times transfer credit is evaluated on little more than the course title, so the title has to give some sort of reflection of the content.

The point would be to get the word "Calculus" out of the title. The rumor is, schools recruit against us warning potential players if they go to GT they will have to take 'Calculus'. You can keep the syllabus the same and simply change the title. Then you can tell recruits they only have to take "Math for Management and Business" or whatever; even if it is the exact same course we currently call "Survey of Calculus".

Yeah, being the world's consensus #1 engineering school would be awful. :rotfl:

If Georgia Tech wants to be the #1 engineering school in the world and football gets in the way of that, then we should drop football. I have absolutely no problem with that and I would strongly suggest we go private to make that happen.

But Tech is still a state school, originally founded and still state supported for the school to provide for the state (and I guess you could argue region). In this spirit, we are not MIT.

Additionally, MIT has less than 100 trees on the whole campus, is all artificial, is building bound most of the school year, etc. Personally, I wouldn't want that and don't want that.

Again if Georgia Tech's state bound mission was to change, then lets' drop sports. Oops, MIT has more NCAA sports than any other school in the country. Geez.

If Georgia Tech wants to be the #1 engineering school in the world and football gets in the way of that, then we should drop football. I have absolutely no problem with that and I would strongly suggest we go private to make that happen.

But Tech is still a state school, originally founded and still state supported for the school to provide for the state (and I guess you could argue region). In this spirit, we are not MIT.

Additionally, MIT has less than 100 trees on the whole campus, is all artificial, is building bound most of the school year, etc. Personally, I wouldn't want that and don't want that.

Again if Georgia Tech's state bound mission was to change, then lets' drop sports. Oops, MIT has more NCAA sports than any other school in the country. Geez.

#1 Engineering school in the world.

#Dead last in trees-on-campus.

Nah, not worth it. :rolleyes:

#1 Engineering school in the world.

#Dead last in trees-on-campus.

Nah, not worth it. :rolleyes:

Well here's your argument for research graduate school versus undergraduate university. Considering we are in a sports forum I think the choice is obvious.

I will say it again. MIT is a think tank stuck in a bunch of cold concrete. If that is what Tech wants to become, so be it. Do it, I actually support the idea. But I wouldn't have sent my kids to Tech just like I didn't send them to MIT for undergraduate.

Well here's your argument for research graduate school versus undergraduate university. Considering we are in a sports forum I think the choice is obvious.

I will say it again. MIT is a think tank stuck in a bunch of cold concrete. If that is what Tech wants to become, so be it. Do it, I actually support the idea. But I wouldn't have sent my kids to Tech just like I didn't send them to MIT for undergraduate.

Who is suggesting that GT literally transform into an exact physical replica of MIT?

How is it possible that you can conflate engineering prowess with lack of trees?

I am ööööing astounded.

Who is suggesting that GT literally transform into the an exact physical replica of MIT?

How is it possible that you can conflate engineering prowess with lack of trees?

I am ööööing astounded.

well, correlation always equals causation. we clearly need more plastic trees on campus.

Who is suggesting that GT literally transform into the an exact physical replica of MIT?

I am ööööing astounded.

You are the clown that took my general statement on the two schools in which I added some ADDITIONAL differences that I don't like, and you made it your central theme. I never said anything about engineering prowess and lack of trees, that's your choice.

You are the clown that took my general statement on the two schools in which I added some ADDITIONAL differences that I don't like, and you made it your central theme. I never said anything about engineering prowess and lack of trees, that's your choice.

Dude you're kinda the one who made it the central theme...

MIT is a think tank stuck in a bunch of cold concrete. If that is what Tech wants to become, so be it.

The separation between MIT and GT, although only a few spots in the rankings, is still quite large. There is another whole tier of higher learning institutions filled with the MITs, Harvards, and The University of Chicagos of the world. We aren't part of that tier, and we're wasting our time if we're trying.

I think that's what midatlantech is referring to when he says Thank God. If you're at that level, you don't have [successful] D-IA sports. Stanford is the only real exception to this rule, but it becomes clear once you look at their majors: http://facts.stanford.edu/undergraduate.html. A lot of those degrees are relatively easy, but it doesn't degrade the Stanford name.

For the same reason, removing the Calculus requirement out of a single major will not degrade the reputation of our top engineering programs.

Back