ACC ded

Seriously? Listen, I like Cabrera but what has he actually done regarding athletics other than make us feel good with words? Are you really going to hold him up as some Nostradamus because he fired the worst coach in GT history? Anyone would have fired Collins and TStan for turning us into a 3 win program. Actions are all that matter. Words are meaningless. I like Key, but all that matters is winning football games. Where was Cabrera when our players are leaving for Ole Miss because he is too cheap to pony up NIL? Cabrera let our #1 WR go to an inner division rival and now a decent defensive linemen leaves for a team we play in week 3. Where is Cabrera there? We are WAY past empty rhetoric at this point.

This seems really unfair to Cabrera.

You say words are meaningless and actions are all that matter -- but that taking action to fire an underperforming football coach, underperforming basketball coach, and underperforming AD (all of whom the previous guy hired) don't matter because they were the correct things to do.

You criticize Cabrera for not ponying up NIL money even though it's one of the few things that's still against the rules and would definitely get us sanctioned, while ignoring the fact that he got the school to match millions in donations to athletic scholarships.

In the end wins are what matters, but to say that all Cabrera has done so far is make us feel good with words is simply incorrect. He is taking action to set us up for success. More action than the last couple presidents took for sure.

I hate to see this line being drawn in the sand by fellow ACC schools. I see this as a power play for those schools to get more money from the ACC. I'm in the camp of what good would it do for other SEC schools to want to bring on Clemson. Just more money to divide up every year and FSU has been somewhat fragile football wise before last season. Adding UNC or NCST would be like getting another Missouri. If the conference should fold and A. Batt can get us into the B1G, then the stadium should bear his name.

Adding Clemson offers the SEC nothing they can’t get by letting Clemson die on the vine. UNC is the plumb in that group. UVa/VT have value to the SEC and B1G, but only one of them.

And I don’t think the B1G and SEC want to overlap. If they do, neither conference is going to want the B team in the state. That’s tough for the B1G, because they prefer Uva.

FSU is the outlier. They play UF pretty even. They are in a very populous state. OTOH, a weak FSU is good for UF, uga, and Auburn.

If these seven schools are still looking for one more to join them, would we have not already been approached to join them? If we were, and declined, makes me believe there is no other conference life boat for us. If not, screw those guys. let's join the unremarkable 8 and force the 7 to go down with the ship with us until GOR expires, or we source a life boat.

The worst case scenario is the ACC dying and us going down with the ship. Why force that to happen, so we can hope for pity? You negotiate from a position of strength not weakness - sinking the ACC without a life-boat makes us a beggar with little negotiating power. If we haven't found a life-boat, our best bet is to either stall until we find one or try to keep the ship afloat.

GT and Miami are the best fits for the Big 10 based on academics and location.

Yeah we've covered it in other threads. The B1G channel gets 10x per subscriber or something like that in TV markets where they have a team.

The thing that I don't understand about this is the actual TV contract with ESPN. All 14+1 schools are under this ACC contract so if they vote to break up the conference, I would assume all member schools would then be in breech of contract and could be legally liable for damages to ESPN. Like I said, if things were simple to break up the conference, it would've happened by now once the ACC became non-viable in the current landscape.

It isn't simple and it isn't cost free which is why it hasn't been done. The ACC dissolving would likely mean forfeiture of NCAA tournament units. But now that the CFP has expanded, you'd need to make the Final Four every year for a half decade to have enough tournament unit money to break even with one trip to the Orange Bowl. The football money is so big now that even NCAA tournament units are peanuts in comparison.

Adding Clemson offers the SEC nothing they can’t get by letting Clemson die on the vine.

100% advertising monopoly on SC. TV revenue, while staggering and explosively growing, still isn't the be all end all of revenue. Clemson-SC is the top donor game for both universities. Just as you have to donate a large some to the GTAA for the privilege of being allowed to buy GT-UGA tickets. Do you think any of the following would be poor draws at the gate or TV?
Clemson - Tennessee
Clemson - Georgia
Clemson - Auburn
Clemson - Florida
Clemson - Alabama

Those are all slam dunks. Which ACC games would Clemson rather play than any of those listed above? FSU. GT. NCST. That's probably it.

100% advertising monopoly on SC. TV revenue, while staggering and explosively growing, still isn't the be all end all of revenue. Clemson-SC is the top donor game for both universities. Just as you have to donate a large some to the GTAA for the privilege of being allowed to buy GT-UGA tickets. Do you think any of the following would be poor draws at the gate or TV?
Clemson - Tennessee
Clemson - Georgia
Clemson - Auburn
Clemson - Florida
Clemson - Alabama

Those are all slam dunks. Which ACC games would Clemson rather play than any of those listed above? FSU. GT. NCST. That's probably it.

Any school that consistently sells out an 80k+ stadium is attractive to the SEC.

Anyone saying otherwise is just experiencing some wishful thinking.

The worst case scenario is the ACC dying and us going down with the ship. Why force that to happen, so we can hope for pity? You negotiate from a position of strength not weakness - sinking the ACC without a life-boat makes us a beggar with little negotiating power. If we haven't found a life-boat, our best bet is to either stall until we find one or try to keep the ship afloat.
[/QUOTE]
I agree, that's basically my point. if we're not at the table trying to dissolve ACC, seems like we have no options to join another conference. hard to believe magnificent 7 formed without us hearing about it and asking in if we were in a position to do so. therefore we need to band with other 8 teams to prevent magnificent 7 from disbanding and force them to stay, at least for as long as we can until GOR ends, or until we find another lifeboat.

I'm just glad we have a rookie AD who has been on the job less than a year to guide us through these critical times.

This seems really unfair to Cabrera.

You say words are meaningless and actions are all that matter -- but that taking action to fire an underperforming football coach, underperforming basketball coach, and underperforming AD (all of whom the previous guy hired) don't matter because they were the correct things to do.

You criticize Cabrera for not ponying up NIL money even though it's one of the few things that's still against the rules and would definitely get us sanctioned, while ignoring the fact that he got the school to match millions in donations to athletic scholarships.

In the end wins are what matters, but to say that all Cabrera has done so far is make us feel good with words is simply incorrect. He is taking action to set us up for success. More action than the last couple presidents took for sure.
I like Cabrera just like I like Key. I bet if you ask them they wouldn’t say I’m unfair at all. All I’m saying is words don’t actually accomplish anything. Sure, they set a tone which all three of JBatt, Cabrera, and Key have done, but now it’s action time. Sure, Cabrera gets credit for firing the dynamic duo but that was low hanging fruit. And sure Cabrera is miles better than his predecessor but again that‘s low hanging fruit. Now it’s time to grab some fruit hire up the tree.

In your post you also demonstrate exactly what is wrong with the GT fan mindset regarding “breaking” rules and getting “sanctioned”. How are so many still asleep. The NCAA no longer exists in any relevancy. Sure, they run tournaments and provide the platform for college athletics but tell me the last time any school got sanctioned over NIL. We have entered into a new era and once again GT is on the sideline screaming at the clouds “but, but, student-athletes”. GT is amazing at forcing their coaches and teams to play on an unlevel playing field because we choose to play with old rule books. What is the saddest thing to me is that I believe Key and Stoudamire can be really good coaches and I think JBatt and Cabrera did outstanding jobs of hiring them. But they won’t stay here because any athlete or coach with hunger will not want to compete on an unlevel field. And a I totally get it. If they taste success they‘ll have offers all over the place where they can get any player they want without self imposed limits. If you are a competitor then that’s what you want.

I like Cabrera just like I like Key. I bet if you ask them they wouldn’t say I’m unfair at all. All I’m saying is words don’t actually accomplish anything. Sure, they set a tone which all three of JBatt, Cabrera, and Key have done, but now it’s action time. Sure, Cabrera gets credit for firing the dynamic duo but that was low hanging fruit. And sure Cabrera is miles better than his predecessor but again that‘s low hanging fruit. Now it’s time to grab some fruit hire up the tree.

In your post you also demonstrate exactly what is wrong with the GT fan mindset regarding “breaking” rules and getting “sanctioned”. How are so many still asleep. The NCAA no longer exists in any relevancy. Sure, they run tournaments and provide the platform for college athletics but tell me the last time any school got sanctioned over NIL. We have entered into a new era and once again GT is on the sideline screaming at the clouds “but, but, student-athletes”. GT is amazing at forcing their coaches and teams to play on an unlevel playing field because we choose to play with old rule books. What is the saddest thing to me is that I believe Key and Stoudamire can be really good coaches and I think JBatt and Cabrera did outstanding jobs of hiring them. But they won’t stay here because any athlete or coach with hunger will not want to compete on an unlevel field. And a I totally get it. If they taste success they‘ll have offers all over the place where they can get any player they want without self imposed limits. If you are a competitor then that’s what you want.

Well you said that Cabrera has done nothing but give us words to make us feel good. But now you're saying that he did an "outstanding" job hiring Key and Stoudamire. It's tough for me to reconcile those two statements -- doing an outstanding job hiring the two most important coaches feels like more than just words to me.

Regarding NIL, schools aren't sanctioned for NIL because they're not directly involved in it. What they do is move money around to allow donors to put money towards NIL instead of things the school can cover.

That's exactly what Cabrera did with the athletic scholarship donation matching. Again, it's tough for me to reconcile you saying he's given us nothing but words with the fact that he got the school to give millions of dollars to the athletic department, freeing money up to be used for other things (like NIL).

Again, in the end winning is what matters. But different people have different roles in getting wins, and in terms of what role you want the school president to play (making good hires, directing money towards the AA) Cabrera has been delivering more than just words.

The landscape has forever changed and there is no going back. People keep scrambling for answers and solutions but how many have considered there may actually be no answer. College football is now skiing behind the Tidy Bowl man and we, along with many others are in the same boat. Enjoy what you can get from the game day experience, enjoy the tailgate, the game for the sake of the game, enjoy your friends and the experience, come to a StingTalk tailgate, drink moonshine, pass out in the bushes, whatever. There are still plenty of good times to be had.

It's likely a waste of time to dream about things such as playoffs and championships, especially on a consistent basis. Maybe it's easier for me because I was fortunate enough to experience a national championship. For this way of thinking maybe it is best to consult the WOPR, pretty sure it has the answer:

Joshua.jpg

Clemson - Tennessee
Clemson - Georgia
Clemson - Auburn
Clemson - Florida
Clemson - Alabama

The SEC doesn’t care about Clemson draws. All five of the schools you listed already have sellout home crowds for conference games. They can add clemson twice a decade without splitting any conference money.

Clemson is just past their peak. They are no more attractive than USCe outside of the last 10 years. Why add a second school in a low population state? Honestly, MSU and Vandy wouldn’t get in if they weren’t already in. That is probably true of Auburn too who would not have achieved their heights without SEC membership.

Kill Clemson and where do their top recruits go? Probably not outside the SE. USC would be better. Tennessee would be better. uga would be better.

Back