ACC ded

Seriously? Listen, I like Cabrera but what has he actually done regarding athletics other than make us feel good with words? Are you really going to hold him up as some Nostradamus because he fired the worst coach in GT history? Anyone would have fired Collins and TStan for turning us into a 3 win program. Actions are all that matter. Words are meaningless. I like Key, but all that matters is winning football games. Where was Cabrera when our players are leaving for Ole Miss because he is too cheap to pony up NIL? Cabrera let our #1 WR go to an inner division rival and now a decent defensive linemen leaves for a team we play in week 3. Where is Cabrera there? We are WAY past empty rhetoric at this point.
Cabrera doesn't provide NIL funding. He may be responsible for digging up individuals and corporations that provide that money, but, because of previous ADs' and school Presidents' ineptitude, he is essentially starting at ground zero.

It was bound to happen. I’ve been a college football fan for over 50 years. I have never seen so many, so called “fans” of a football team within a conference bash, the conference like I have since the ACC was formed. It is and always has been widely disrespected and disliked by all fans of its’ teams except the Carolina boys.
The people that run the ACC, and those who’s opinions seem to matter line for the old cardigan sweater days when the only thing going was UNC, NC St, Duke, and Wake hoops

There are only two conferences that will be relevant in college football for the foreseeable future: SEC and BIG

SEC will never happen for us. BIG is the only life raft. Whatever it takes to make that happen is worth it.

FSU has already blown up this conference. The end is decided, it’s only the time to get there that matters.

For anyone else who didn't know what this is about, here is an article that clued me in:

I don't really care what happens. I'm in a nihilistic place when it comes to college sports. Just got to enjoy the dark comedy.

Tech is full of a bunch of cogs in the wheel. I guess that's the purpose of 80% of the school, so it makes sense. To trick yourselves into thinking that GT's administration has ever been or will ever be strategic and forward-thinking enough to make a move to avoid us becoming a Big East leftover is just a waste.

Posted on Feb 20 in another thread
If a majority of schools in the league vote to disband the league then the grant of rights doesn't apply.

What if Virginia, VT, UNC, NC State, Clemson, GT, Fla. St, and Miami wanted to disband the league to go to the SEC.

SEC would be at 24 teams. They could figure it out from a scheduling standpoint.

TV money is what is important. If the ACC disbands, then the ACC network and all of the ESPN money goes bye.

ESPN also holds the rights to the SEC. So the ACC money is now spilt 14.5 ways with Notre Dame getting a small share. ESPN could plow that money back into a new SEC contract paying the new SEC teams the same as the current SEC teams.

I haven't done the math but it has to be lots better than adding new teams with no incremental revenue. The 8 schools coming in could bring the entire current ACC revenue stream to the SEC.
We only need one more school……I hope JBatt had dinner last night with the magnificent 7.

Dissolve the ACC. If you want out of the GoR, make the ACC no longer exist. Then it's not a case of a member of a contractual party left the contract. It's a case of one side of the contract no longer exists anymore.
I don't think there would be easy escape hatches built into these contracts like that. Lawyers are too smart. In fact, let's say these seven teams tried to break up the ACC by not playing their games, well there are still 9 other teams in the conference and that is enough to in fact remain a conference. I'm guess it would take nearly everybody in the conference to play along with this one.

I don't think there would be easy escape hatches built into these contracts like that. Lawyers are too smart. In fact, let's say these seven teams tried to break up the ACC by not playing their games, well there are still 9 other teams in the conference and that is enough to in fact remain a conference. I'm guess it would take nearly everybody in the conference to play along with this one.
Depends on what the bylaws say. If it’s just majority vote on things like dissolving the conference, then they are a vote short. If there’s no conference, there’s no GOR absent some very creative contract language.

I’d have to guess that the bylaws require 2/3 of all voting members for issues like dissolving the conference.

I’ll bet we go to B1G.
I hope we do. öööö Clemson and FSU and the rest of them ööööers.

I wouldn't mind Michigan, Ohio State, Southern Cal, UCLA, Wisconsin, Iowa, or Nebraska rolling into town. Maybe Notre Dame will be there too.

Plus, helps the BIG10 middle finger the SEC being in Atlanta. Maybe we could force the SEC title game from the state because of the new BIG10 footprint. Move that ööööer to Dallas.

The 7 aren't banding together for life boats, they're trying to sink the ship because presumably they already have them. Tech needs to figure out where it's going before trying to join in the destruction.
If these seven schools are still looking for one more to join them, would we have not already been approached to join them? If we were, and declined, makes me believe there is no other conference life boat for us. If not, screw those guys. let's join the unremarkable 8 and force the 7 to go down with the ship with us until GOR expires, or we source a life boat.

The Bylaws stipulate 2/3 is required for dissolving the conference. You've got 7 here. Add one more for Notre Dame who is a full voting member. Now you just need 2 out of Duke, GT, UofL, and Pitt.

That seems pretty plausible to me, especially if the B1G is in on the carve up.

The Bylaws stipulate 2/3 is required for dissolving the conference. You've got 7 here. Add one more for Notre Dame who is a full voting member. Now you just need 2 out of Duke, GT, UofL, and Pitt.

That seems pretty plausible to me, especially if the B1G is in on the carve up.
The thing that I don't understand about this is the actual TV contract with ESPN. All 14+1 schools are under this ACC contract so if they vote to break up the conference, I would assume all member schools would then be in breech of contract and could be legally liable for damages to ESPN. Like I said, if things were simple to break up the conference, it would've happened by now once the ACC became non-viable in the current landscape.

I hate to see this line being drawn in the sand by fellow ACC schools. I see this as a power play for those schools to get more money from the ACC. I'm in the camp of what good would it do for other SEC schools to want to bring on Clemson. Just more money to divide up every year and FSU has been somewhat fragile football wise before last season. Adding UNC or NCST would be like getting another Missouri. If the conference should fold and A. Batt can get us into the B1G, then the stadium should bear his name.

I hate to see this line being drawn in the sand by fellow ACC schools. I see this as a power play for those schools to get more money from the ACC. I'm in the camp of what good would it do for other SEC schools to want to bring on Clemson. Just more money to divide up every year and FSU has been somewhat fragile football wise before last season. Adding UNC or NCST would be like getting another Missouri. If the conference should fold and A. Batt can get us into the B1G, then the stadium should bear his name.
They could probably just tell any of those schools that they could come to the SEC for $5 million more per season than they make now and they'd jump at it.

Hope we are quietly talking to Big Ten and Big Twelve behind the scenes.
Big Ten should be the goal with Big Twelve the back up plan. I do not see
the SEC letting us in unless they do it just to stop the Big Ten from acquiring
us.

Back