ACC goes all in - Keep 4 Team Playoff they say

77GTFan

Dodd-Like
An eight team playoff is OK, and at eight I would prefer the P5 champions, the top ranked G5 champion, and two at large make up the field.

But, I really prefer only four - the top rated four conference champions. (I guess if an independent is ranked top four they could get in and we would then have three conference champions.) This year the argument between Baylor or Notre Dame would have been intense - I would have gone with the two loss champion over the one loss Irish.

We would have had Bama versus Baylor and Michigan versus Cincinnati. I am not saying Georgia was not among the four best. I simply believe in a small field it should be for conference champs, not losers of the championship game OT second place division finishers.

donsue

Flats Noob
He did a lot of great things, I agree. Pulling us out of the SEC was not one of them.
So, in 1963 would you have a crystal ball? Better still, could you get the support on the hill to overcome obvious handicaps?

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
This is funny. Just more bluster from guys with little juice. The playoffs will expand because that’s where the money is at. All the talk is just empty rhetoric. I remember when it would never get to a 2 team playoff and all the empty rhetoric and sky screamers. Then magically the money led to 4 teams. And now all the empty rhetoric we are hearing now. The money will dictate to expansion and eventually into 20 plus teams. I have no clue if the NCAA will be in anyway involved but it’s going to happen. And the Alliance will fall apart the minute the SEC or another entity invites other teams into the expanded playoff.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
This is funny. Just more bluster from guys with little juice. The playoffs will expand because that’s where the money is at. All the talk is just empty rhetoric. I remember when it would never get to a 2 team playoff and all the empty rhetoric and sky screamers. Then magically the money led to 4 teams. And now all the empty rhetoric we are hearing now. The money will dictate to expansion and eventually into 20 plus teams. I have no clue if the NCAA will be in anyway involved but it’s going to happen. And the Alliance will fall apart the minute the SEC or another entity invites other teams into the expanded playoff.
What is a 2 team playoff? There's only one game

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
A 2 team playoff is when they went from Mary Ann at the Paducah Sentinel picking the national champ to the BCS where we at least had 1 vs 2 instead of 1 vs. 9 and 2 vs 7 in bowl games 3 thousand miles apart. So we went from a 0 team playoff to 2 now 4. To think it’s going to stop is funny to me. It’s all posturing. Some entity will expand it just like the current entity ended the BCS.

gtchief

A 2 team playoff is when they went from Mary Ann at the Paducah Sentinel picking the national champ to the BCS where we at least had 1 vs 2 instead of 1 vs. 9 and 2 vs 7 in bowl games 3 thousand miles apart. So we went from a 0 team playoff to 2 now 4. To think it’s going to stop is funny to me. It’s all posturing. Some entity will expand it just like the current entity ended the BCS.
A playoff involves competitors advancing through multiple teams. There is no single-round "playoff". It's just a championship game or series at that point. That is my confusion.

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
Here’s an idea (sorry if someone else already said it)

8 teams
6 auto bids (AAC gets one) for conference champs
2 at large
6 auto bids are seeded based on overall conference record vs other auto bid conferences
2 at large bids get 6 and 8 spots.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
Most everything you guys think up is bonkers. Pick your conferences and only let the champs in. Doesn’t matter the total number of teams in the playoff. I would rather go back to just having the bowls with press and coaches polls choosing the champions.

Last edited:

aeromech

Dodd-Like
You can argue where things would be today and that is fine. But very few people on here truly understand all the great things Dodd did for GT. A few pages out of his playbook wouldn’t hurt the program right now
Looking back Dodd is probably the worst thing that ever happened to Georgia Tech football. He took us out of the conference we should be in and left us with a bunch of followers who want to "do it the right way" instead of playing by the rules. There was zero reason to leave the SEC, just like there was no reason to handicap the program for decades doing the things in Dodd's playbook.

aeromech

Dodd-Like
Eh, if we’d stayed in the SEC we still would have turned into Vandy eventually. The game and our circumstances changed to our detriment, whether we were in the SEC, independent, or ACC. At least we got a title in ‘90 out of the deal

JRjr
We would only have become Vandy by following Dodd's leadership, which we did. Someone focused on winning would have kept us winning.

gtchief

Our admin is probably full of would-be dwag whistleblowers. There's no way we could cheat which is what it takes to remain competitive in the SEC.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Unfortunately dumb "more is better" thinking usually prevails. Bigger conferences, more bowls, games on more days of the week, more money for players, more more more!
You've convinced me. I'd much rather watch LESS FOOTBALL and MORE ARGUING about who the top 4 teams are.
</sarcasm>

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
Looking back Dodd is probably the worst thing that ever happened to Georgia Tech football. He took us out of the conference we should be in and left us with a bunch of followers who want to "do it the right way" instead of playing by the rules. There was zero reason to leave the SEC, just like there was no reason to handicap the program for decades doing the things in Dodd's playbook.
If you think the schools we play against “do it the right way” or even GT does you are fooling yourself. GT cheats also, we just suck at it.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
You've convinced me. I'd much rather watch LESS FOOTBALL and MORE ARGUING about who the top 4 teams are.
</sarcasm>
I don’t give two öööös about watching the SEC turn the playoffs into their regular season. You just aren’t willing to admit that is what your plan turns into. The bowl season was great until playoffs screwed it up. If you want more progress you and AOC can continue ruining America or just watch the nfl. It’s made how you want it already.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
I don’t give two öööös about watching the SEC turn the playoffs into their regular season. You just aren’t willing to admit that is what your plan turns into. The bowl season was great until playoffs screwed it up. If you want more progress you and AOC can continue ruining America or just watch the nfl. It’s made how you want it already.
Great. Then turn off the damn TV and go play tiddlywinks with your neighbor. Some of us like watching football and would rather watch the top 8 teams or 16 teams play it off than watch Eastern Illinois vs Montana State in the WhoCaresButYourMama Bowl.

Every other sport, INCLUDING D2 and D3 football have a playoff with more than 4 teams, but hey...your way is obviously better. Frigging moron, LOL.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
If we had stayed in the SEC we would likely still be the same football program today. Tech wanted to take the high road for recruits, for academics, for amateurism. And today that would not have changed, Tech chooses to be a leading academic university in the South. (In my opinion, the same is hurting football at Texas and Florida.)
But there was more going on than just this. There was a total change of who was going to play football.
There was competition in the cities with professional sports. There was a lot going on and it all negatively affected Tech football, not just the issue of leaving a conference.
Can we please give this issue a rest!

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
Great. Then turn off the damn TV and go play tiddlywinks with your neighbor. Some of us like watching football and would rather watch the top 8 teams or 16 teams play it off than watch Eastern Illinois vs Montana State in the WhoCaresButYourMama Bowl.

Every other sport, INCLUDING D2 and D3 football have a playoff with more than 4 teams, but hey...your way is obviously better. Frigging moron, LOL.
They are going to put those teams on tv when they need something to show anyway. It’s better you watch the nfl and quit screwing up college football for the rest of us that enjoy what it is supposed to be. But please continue and you will eventually figure out how your dumbass opinions turned into you no longer enjoying college football. I know you learn slowly…