All you people deserting the team when we’re gonna be 1-11

wishbone

Dodd-Like
Everyone will be back when we replace CPJs recruits by 2021 and go 9-3.
Wait. I thought it was the scheme not the talent that was killing us...now its the talent not the scheme...??

We got smoked by the Citadel.
That ain't on the Jimmes and Joes, that's on the coaches.

Vespidie

Dodd-Like
For the life of me I cannot understand why Tech fans do not understand that the cupboard is just about absolutely bare. We’ve had injuries galore. Go back and try to find a time when we were jogging out freshman and sophomore‘s first string. You can’t.
I'm going out on a limb and saying it's the same reason gagger fans anoint themselves pre-season National Champions.

oldgold68

Bitter old man
Because they are solid coaches. They have quickly settled on the best quarterback.

For the life of me I cannot understand why Tech fans do not understand that the cupboard is just about absolutely bare. We’ve had injuries galore. Go back and try to find a time when we were jogging out freshman and sophomore‘s first string. You can’t.

Go back and find me a period of Georgia Tech football over a decade where we sent fewer players to the NFL. You can’t.

Patience.
As I read this, a pop up said the Raiders signed Darren Waller to a 4 year extension for $9 million/year. I smiled.

Edit: Read another article that said it was a 3 year extension, not 4 as I originally thought.

Last edited:

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Wait. I thought it was the scheme not the talent that was killing us...now its the talent not the scheme...??
We got smoked by the Citadel.
That ain't on the Jimmies and Joes, that's on the coaches.
Ummm. You know it can be both, right?
And you're intentionally misconstruing what everyone was saying because most of what I heard was that people were saying that the scheme was affecting the talent we could get. Only a fool would argue that Paul Johnson wasn't very very good at getting the best out of the talent he had on offense and using that effectively. The problem people were noticing was that we were having trouble recruiting high level players to come play in and against his offensive system.....something we are seeing born out as true now on both sides of the line especially.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Louisville: Not enough is being made of the job Scott Satterfield is doing in his first year at Louisville. That program hit rock bottom a year ago under Bobby Petrino, but Satterfield has got the Cardinals playing good ball. You could see it when they gave Notre Dame a scare in the season opener, and it was apparent yet again Saturday night in a road upset win over No. 19 Wake Forest — a team that was previously undefeated. It was a wacky game that ended 62-59 — but the Cardinals somehow were able to hang on and improve to 4-2 overall and 2-1 in ACC play. The trajectory of the Louisville program has flipped completely with Satterfield leading the way.

I watched us play them last year and didn't think they were more talented than us. Could it be ................................... coaching?
Louisville had 12 players drafted in a single year in 2015. They had two first rounders and four total picks last year and at least one first rounder four out of the past five years. If you think we have more talent than them then I'm glad you arent the recruiting coordinator.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Louisville had 12 players drafted in a single year in 2015. They had two first rounders and four total picks last year and at least one first rounder four out of the past five years. If you think we have more talent than them then I'm glad you arent the recruiting coordinator.
Yeah, that was a stupid as heck post. He even argued against himself in the last sentence like a doofus.

BigDanT

J. Batt Fan
Not to mention a Heisman winner in the last 4 years.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
With the bar set so low over the first half of the season, I think the 2nd half might actually be encouraging. I'm going to predict 2 one-score losses and a win.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
And going forward it looks like we will have the edge on them in recruiting. I looked at 247 total team talent composite rankings, then dug back through to find which ones were Satterfield's recruits and transfers and took them out and compared to the rest. Also did the same for GT with and without CGC's guys. Any guys that were committed to either program before either one of these coaches took over, I kept with the original team, not added with the new coaches stats.

2019 Louisville team talent composite - 77 rated players, 0.8512 average
2019 Louisville Satterfield recruits/transfers - 15 rated players, 0.8399 average (4 of those were grad-transfers)
2019 Louisville team talent minus Satterfield's recruits/transfers - 62 rated players, 0.8540 average
2020 Louisville recruits - 22 rated commits, 0.8544 average.

So Satterfield's guys slightly lowered the team talent. He has 11 4-star players that he inherited and has added none. He had one 4-star recruit for 2019 that failed to qualify to enroll (also had another high 3-star that failed to qualify). He has one 4 star commit for 2020.

Now let's look at GT. GT's composite ranking on 247 includes all of our transfers (including the ones sitting) and still has Brandon Adams on the list... I adjusted the ranking after removing those 4:

2019 GT team talent composite - 79 rated players, 0.8427 average
2019 GT CGC recruits/transfers - 15 rated players, 0.8734 average (2 were grad-transfers, and were the lowest rated of all 15)
2019 GT team talent minus CGC recruits - 67 rated players, 0.8403 average
2020 GT recruits - 22 rated commits, 0.8634 average.

So CGC's guys increased the overall team talent. He inherited 3 4-star players and has added 5. He has 3 4-star commits for 2020 (and a good chance and landing a few more).

What does all this mean? IMO, Satterfield inherited a more talented roster that has good athletes who have all been recruited for and have been practicing in a more conventional offense. That team was trash last year but because of the lack of leadership and losing the locker room. Satterfield has done a good job of bringing those guys back together and getting them playing more disciplined, sound, focused football, but there was no lack of experience or major transition occurring. He is at best recruiting slightly diluting the talent they have there with what he is bringing in. On the other hand, CGC inherited a very young, inexperienced team that is transitioning to a complete opposite of what it has been doing for 10 years. CGC inherited some good athletes at skill positions, but we are severely lacking on both lines. The amount of talent he has brought in with his 2019 additions, and has committed for 2020 makes it look like the trajectory of our program is much higher than that of UL. I would much rather be in our position right now, even with results lacking so far.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Great post GoGATech. Great. Totally worth the length.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Yeah, even UofL had a few really good players at each level of the offense and defense that they could depend on and scheme around.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
Even with the extreme offensive woes we've had, I keep telling myself that our season would look vastly different with Brandon (rest in peace) and Antonneous. I honestly believe (outside of Clemson) that we would've had a chance in the rest of our losses and definitely won at least two more.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
Even with the extreme offensive woes we've had, I keep telling myself that our season would look vastly different with Brandon (rest in peace) and Antonneous. I honestly believe (outside of Clemson) that we would've had a chance in the rest of our losses and definitely won at least two more.
I forgot all about Antonneous Clayton. Any word on how he's been doing in practice?

DL is a desperate need. As it has been for like 10 years now...

HamiltonFan

Varsity Lurker
Louisville: Not enough is being made of the job Scott Satterfield is doing in his first year at Louisville. That program hit rock bottom a year ago under Bobby Petrino, but Satterfield has got the Cardinals playing good ball. You could see it when they gave Notre Dame a scare in the season opener, and it was apparent yet again Saturday night in a road upset win over No. 19 Wake Forest — a team that was previously undefeated. It was a wacky game that ended 62-59 — but the Cardinals somehow were able to hang on and improve to 4-2 overall and 2-1 in ACC play. The trajectory of the Louisville program has flipped completely with Satterfield leading the way.

I watched us play them last year and didn't think they were more talented than us. Could it be ................................... coaching?
The difference is that Louisville was nowhere near as bad on paper last year as their record reflected. That team just gave up last year and Petrino had completely lost control by the end of the season. The cupboard was not bare by any means for Satterfield. He deserves credit for righting the ship culturally as soon as he has and I do think he will be a good coach, but last year was more of a reflection of Petrino and not the Louisville situation as a whole.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
The difference is that Louisville was nowhere near as bad on paper last year as their record reflected. That team just gave up last year and Petrino had completely lost control by the end of the season. The cupboard was not bare by any means for Satterfield. He deserves credit for righting the ship culturally as soon as he has and I do think he will be a good coach, but last year was more of a reflection of Petrino and not the Louisville situation as a whole.
You could substitute Mack/UNC for Satt/UofL. All the 4*/5*'s UNC brings in over the years, they finally get mediocre play out of the team and everyone starts losing their damn minds. Sad so much wasted talent goes there, saw they pulled in a 5* earlier today.

Had to do a double take at the background