Am I the only GT fan that cheers against The Braves, Falcons, and United?

I have always cheered against them because they compete with Georgia Tech in the Atlanta market and hurt our ticket sales and athletic budget. Good to see the Braves lose to LA last night!
Pretty sure the opposite is true. The better the ATL pro sports do, the more exposure the ATL and thus Tech gets. Part of that is thanks to CGC’s marketing to those teams.

Isn’t it weird how the people who cheer for other teams never pick losers. They always nutsack cling to historically good teams like the Patriots, Steelers, Broncos.... Not many Cleveland fans from Atlanta.

And then they use their “adoption”/nutsack sucking as some sort of superiority complex over people who pull for the local teams. Oh you’re a Falcons fan... psh.. I’m a lifelong New England/Duke/Bama.

Braves are dead to me since they left Atlanta for cobb county. Great to see them lose last night. #cobbcountycurse

Never cared about the falcons or hawks. Both leagues dead to me.

Atlanta united is cool

Thrashers were ööööing awesome and it's a shame what happened to the franchise. Until then, the preds are tight.

Also, imagine when Tech finally wins a natty; we're gonna be the only major atlanta sports team with a true championship...could convert a lot of sidewalk fans to our side.

Trollop? This is the kind of reception I get? ....I will leave y'all to it :bfd:
Chop Chop - Rise Up - United and Conquer - Up with the White & Gold:thumbup:
Oh lord
That’s mild razzing at best.

CGC has been taking our players to ATL United and Braves games. Also we’ve been able to practice and (eventually) play at the Megatron Butthole.

So I’d rather us engage with the other locals than actively root against them...which would be toxic and unproductive.
Agreed. I think many of the falcons fans are also gaggers by default. We need to undermine that whenever possible.

The idea that the Braves compete against the Jackets is retarded.
Not according to D. Rad. He cited on multiple instances competition against the pro teams in the Atlanta market as a reason that Georgia Tech consistently finished in the bottom tier of the ACC in revenue. I’m sure that was one of the reasons he left for Clemson. He doesn’t have to deal with pro teams up there.

Can you name one solid top 5 college football program in a major city that competes against pro teams for revenue?

Not according to D. Rad. He cited on multiple instances competition against the pro teams in the Atlanta market as a reason that Georgia Tech consistently finished in the bottom tier of the ACC in revenue. I’m sure that was one of the reasons he left for Clemson. He doesn’t have to deal with pro teams up there.

Can you name one solid top 5 college football program in a major city that competes against pro teams for revenue?
USC

It’s also a dumb argument cause teams without pro sports in their hometown are all based in rinky dink college towns that no alumni/sidewalk fans actually live in.

Athens isn’t big enough to support a UGA fan base. They all live in Atlanta. Which means they would have competition from Atlanta pro teams too if we believed this dumbass idea.

I am not that into the local teams, but not for the reasons stated in the OP.

I became a Cubs fan as a kid, so the Braves have always been my 2nd team and my enthusiasm for baseball has waned in recent years, anyway.
I was a fairly dedicated Falcons fan until 28-3, but I doubt I will see them get that close anytime soon and the NFL doesn't interest me as much these days. I will probably start watching when they do a rebuild, but this version of the Falcons is played out for me.
United? I don't wanna be the ugly American, but I honestly enjoy watching professional bowling significantly more than soccer. Just can't do it.
Haven't cared much about the NBA since Jordan, and the Hawks are always going to be mediocre, at best.

College football and the Jackets are the only thing that I love through the best and worst. All my other fandom is pretty situational.

Last edited:
Braves are dead to me since they left Atlanta for cobb county. Great to see them lose last night. #cobbcountycurse

Never cared about the falcons or hawks. Both leagues dead to me.

Atlanta united is cool

Thrashers were ööööing awesome and it's a shame what happened to the franchise. Until then, the preds are tight.

Also, imagine when Tech finally wins a natty; we're gonna be the only major atlanta sports team with a true championship...could convert a lot of sidewalk fans to our side.
Why all the focus on the Thrashers? What about the Flames?

This is actually a pretty decent point. Just looking at the NFL for simplicity's sake... how many top tier CFB programs share a city with an NFL team? I think we can even expand top 5 to top 25, and we'll see a similar trend.

I think USC is fair to say. Maybe Miami? Maybe Washington? I think that's it. I'd say that's significant.

This is actually a pretty decent point. Just looking at the NFL for simplicity's sake... how many top tier CFB programs share a city with an NFL team? I think we can even expand top 5 to top 25, and we'll see a similar trend.

I think USC is fair to say. Maybe Miami? Maybe Washington? I think that's it. I'd say that's significant.
State flagship universities are rarely located in major metropolis areas. Has nothing to do with competing against pro teams and everything to do with finding cheap land.

And state flagships are usually the programs with the best sports.

Washington is in Seattle. And they do fine.

State flagship universities are rarely located in major metropolis areas. Has nothing to do with competing against pro teams and everything to do with finding cheap land.

And state flagships are usually the programs with the best sports.

Washington is in Seattle. And they do fine.

Yeah, and your urban colleges are more likely to be either prestigious academic schools or commuter schools.

The Atlanta sports pie is absolutely big enough for GT to have a slice. Just need a 10 year Bama/Clemson type run! Good seasons here and there won't cut it.

Back