And now ... back to our 2022 season

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
with all the hand-wringing over conference expansion, there is still a 2022 season that kicks off in less than two months.
Once again, somebody isn't very optimistic about our chances.
This would be a diversion from the ongoing conference stuff, but ...

with all the hand-wringing over conference expansion, there is still a 2022 season that kicks off in less than two months.
Once again, somebody isn't very optimistic about our chances.
This would be a diversion from the ongoing conference stuff, but ...

Same coach, right?

Yeah, I'm also not very optimistic about our chances.

The Athlon analysis was fair.

But one thing is clear to me: our roster is the best its been since Collins got here. We lost a number of single score games last year.

I think we have the roster to win 6. But its put up or hit the road time for Collins. I no longer care about anything except the win total. You want to stay here? Ok. Give me six wins and I’ll give you one more year of employment. Five wins or less? Thanks for the memories.

We lost a number of single score games last year.
We lost four one score games.
One was to Northern stinkin Illinois, coming off a winless season.
One was to Clemson.
One was to Miami.
Now, those two are close losses and we can play the coulda, woulda, shoulda with those two.
Virginia was an 8 point spread at the end but it frankly wasn't that close. They were up 21 with a minute and a half to go.
We had just as many double digit losses as one-score losses. And all but one of those were truly ugly.

But one thing is clear to me: our roster is the best its been since Collins got here. We lost a number of single score games last year.

I think we have the roster to win 6. But its put up or hit the road time for Collins. I no longer care about anything except the win total. You want to stay here? Ok. Give me six wins and I’ll give you one more year of employment. Five wins or less? Thanks for the memories.
Yup, that's why Collins said we're in Phase 2 of the rebuild (close wins/losses) before the bottom fell out against the two top 10 teams towards the end. We should've won five last year, so six to seven wins depending on the bowl game is a nice target up from that. Let's just hope that when we have to rely on the backup QB he can put some points on the board

Disagree with the bolded part. Last year was the roster high water mark. We've got a rebuild on OL, defensive backfield, RB, and WR. The only groups who have obviously improved are QB (depth) and TE (should have a new starter here).

One was to Clemson.
One was to Miami.
Now, those two are close losses and we can play the coulda, woulda, shoulda with those two.
Virginia was an 8 point spread at the end but it frankly wasn't that close. They were up 21 with a minute and a half to go.
We had just as many double digit losses as one-score losses. And all but one of those were truly ugly.
Umm what point are you trying to make?

Umm what point are you trying to make?
Close losses schmose losses.
They don't mean a damn thing.
We had as many as blowouts as close losses. I don't count UVa as a close loss. And Va Tech pretty much dominated that game, in a nine-point spread.

Besides ... didn't coach put in that 10-10-10 club after the 2019 season and all those "close losses"? Now, it's "hey, look, we're closing the gap because we have close losses."

I’m as troubled about the poor conference we are in as the poor excuse for a HC. Clemson, Miami, and Florida State are not staying in the ACC.

But one thing is clear to me: our roster is the best its been since Collins got here
Serious? We just lost probably the 2nd most talented player in GT history after Calvin Johnson. And he didn't leave to go to the NFL he left for a rival. And that was just the top player, lots of others left too.

And we can talk about the close losses but we can't ignore the win against Duke that almost wasn't. They played 1 good game which was UNC and other thannthatbthe season was a failure. I see no reason for optimism with this coach and AD.

Serious? We just lost probably the 2nd most talented player in GT history after Calvin Johnson. And he didn't leave to go to the NFL he left for a rival. And that was just the top player, lots of others left too.
Yes. Serious. Even with the loss of what's his name - the really fast kid who wasn't up for the dwag game, our RB depth is on par with 2014.

Is there a coach on staff that they can hand the reigns to or are they going to blow it all up and start over next season? With all of this conference insecurity, I'm a little nervous for GT's future.

Is there a coach on staff that they can hand the reigns to or are they going to blow it all up and start over next season? With all of this conference insecurity, I'm a little nervous for GT's future.
There is. I think its Weinke. Just my uninformed opinion.

One was to Clemson.
One was to Miami.
Time for a wager. I say we win six games this year - regular season - not including our bowl game. You in??

Yes. Serious. Even with the loss of what's his name - the really fast kid who wasn't up for the dwag game, our RB depth is on par with 2014.

Seriously, that is yet to be proven. We know what Smith has; but we haven't seen much of the others.

Back