And now ... back to our 2022 season

The Athlon analysis was fair.

But one thing is clear to me: our roster is the best its been since Collins got here. We lost a number of single score games last year.

I think we have the roster to win 6. But its put up or hit the road time for Collins. I no longer care about anything except the win total. You want to stay here? Ok. Give me six wins and I’ll give you one more year of employment. Five wins or less? Thanks for the memories.
I agree with everything except 6 wins. He needs to get 8 wins to stay another year.

I agree with everything except 6 wins. He needs to get 8 wins to stay another year.

I think 6 wins will do it as long as we don't have heinous losses like we finished last season with, or another shutout loss.

Seriously, that is yet to be proven. We know what Smith has; but we haven't seen much of the others.
I guess I'm taking bets today. I obviously can't prove something that hasn't happened yet so let's do the following: In 2014, we averaged 6 yards per carry. The highest yard per carry average since 2014 is 5.5. So let's be a little bit fair (we don't run the 3O anymore) and set the bar at 5 yards per carry. So if, at the end of the season including a bowl game, we average 5 yards per carry (not including qb sacks) then I win otherwise you win.

If you are on board with the terms, we need to set the amount of the wager.

I require that we both pay the amount to a trusted StinGTalker who agrees to server as an escrow agent and forward the amount to the winner after our decisive bowl win.

You in?

We still have no lines. None proven, and the guys to get excited about are young. This is where the game starts. Without, it’s always going to be painful to watch no matter the coach. We have gone from having too many a backs to too many db’s. The db’s won’t matter if we can’t pressure the qb slow down the run game.

Then fire him now. We are not going to win 8 games this year under even the most ideal circumstances. 8 wins is literally impossible with our schedule.
We can win 8 games. We’ve got a bunch of schools with new coaches on our schedule. Accepting less wins means we’ve left this guy lower our standards. And, obviously, we have done that.

Disagree with the bolded part. Last year was the roster high water mark. We've got a rebuild on OL, defensive backfield, RB, and WR. The only groups who have obviously improved are QB (depth) and TE (should have a new starter here).

Huh? You got an OL going into 2nd & 3rd yr in the system, DBs who got a lot reps last season in area where the previous guys freelanced and got burned all season, RBs you swapped one of the most talented RBs in the country for a RB who the highest grade by PFF, and same with WR. You’re swapping out McGowan & Sanders for Blackburn & Jenkins. The situation is not dire at all

"I just think that group as a whole has bonded at a really high level," C****** says.
> This is the kind of BS i was hoping to not here this year.
from him it's always "same crap,different day"
I'd love to see this year team projections with a new AD and Gus Malzan at the HC helm!

We can win 8 games. We’ve got a bunch of schools with new coaches on our schedule. Accepting less wins means we’ve left this guy lower our standards. And, obviously, we have done that.
I love GT and love my StinGTalk brethren but we ain't winnin 8 games this year under any circumstances. The difference between 6 and 8 might not seem like much but in our case, its the diff between walking to 7-11 and flying to Alpha Centauri.

I wonder what GTFLETCH thinks....
Glad you asked! I love living in your mind RENT FREE! I agee with Athlon on this:
This season will either be a new beginning for Collins or the beginning of the end. It's fair to be skeptical.

If Coach Collins wins at least 5 he is retained if he wins 4 or less we get a new coach.

I'll drink to that.
I'll drink to anything but that's as good a place to start as any.

I really hope Collins can turn it around this year. He added a lot of offensive coaching brainpower (presumably because that is not his area of expertise). After reflecting on the fact that Thacker was retained, I can only assume that Collins trusts Thacker to implement Collins' defensive philosophy.

Call me an optimist but I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this fall. I actually think we are going to win 6 regular season games and go to a bow.

Is there a coach on staff that they can hand the reigns to or are they going to blow it all up and start over next season? With all of this conference insecurity, I'm a little nervous for GT's future.

If we don't win at least 5, I would think everyone is gone, though we should try to keep Kenyatta Watson. Doubt we will be able to for long regardless. He is a riser and on the NFL's radar as a scout. For head coach, Key is the only one on staff who gets an interview IMO. I don't think conference realignment should really factor in our decision making on coaches. Of course, it could factor in potential coaching candidates' minds.

Last edited:
I guess I'm taking bets today. I obviously can't prove something that hasn't happened yet so let's do the following: In 2014, we averaged 6 yards per carry. The highest yard per carry average since 2014 is 5.5. So let's be a little bit fair (we don't run the 3O anymore) and set the bar at 5 yards per carry. So if, at the end of the season including a bowl game, we average 5 yards per carry (not including qb sacks) then I win otherwise you win.

If you are on board with the terms, we need to set the amount of the wager.

I require that we both pay the amount to a trusted StinGTalker who agrees to server as an escrow agent and forward the amount to the winner after our decisive bowl win.

You in?

LOL. Talk big and then and then give yourself cushion, typical Stingtalk. If they are as good as 2014 then set the bar at 6, and no I don't want to bet with you.

What I'm saying is that last year we had a pretty good group of RB's in Gibbs, Mason, Smith, and Griffin. This year we really don't know what we have until they see the field. Regardless, YPC will be heavily dependent on the CBK OL.

I'll drink to anything but that's as good a place to start as any.

I really hope Collins can turn it around this year. He added a lot of offensive coaching brainpower (presumably because that is not his area of expertise). After reflecting on the fact that Thacker was retained, I can only assume that Collins trusts Thacker to implement Collins' defensive philosophy.

Call me an optimist but I think we are going to surprise a lot of people this fall. I actually think we are going to win 6 regular season games and go to a bow.

You'll be surprised to discover I actually agree with this post.

I love GT and love my StinGTalk brethren but we ain't winnin 8 games this year under any circumstances. The difference between 6 and 8 might not seem like much but in our case, its the diff between walking to 7-11 and flying to Alpha Centauri.
If we loose games that are very much expected Clemson, ole miss, ucf , and the mutts The best case I say we can win the rest. FSU and Miami I think are gonna be interesting if you look at their schedule and where we play them on it they have a had 3 games with us in the middle

Going back thirty years our standard seems to be 7 and change wins.

There is. I think its Weinke. Just my uninformed opinion.

Really? He has no head coaching experience that I can recall, certainly not at the P5 or G5 level. I like CCW but this is not even close to a Lewis/O’Leary scenario.

Back