And now ... back to our 2022 season

There is still a whole lot of denial on this board. Trends don't usually just u turn, there has to be a slowdown first. And our trend hasn't even seemed to pumped the brakes unfortunately.

LOL. Talk big and then and then give yourself cushion, typical Stingtalk. If they are as good as 2014 then set the bar at 6, and no I don't want to bet with you.

What I'm saying is that last year we had a pretty good group of RB's in Gibbs, Mason, Smith, and Griffin. This year we really don't know what we have until they see the field. Regardless, YPC will be heavily dependent on the CBK OL.
I put my wallet behind my position. Not sure what else to do. I we finish the season at > 5 yards per carry (not including QB sacks) then I win.

If you disagree then throw your hat in the ring.

I put my wallet behind my position. Not sure what else to do. I we finish the season at > 5 yards per carry (not including QB sacks) then I win.

If you disagree then throw your hat in the ring.

But your argument was they were as good or better than 2014 which you said averaged 6 yards per carry. We had 4 guys that averaged 5 yards a carry or better last year. In 2014 we had 13 guys average more than 5 yards per carry or more. (Byerly averaged 4.5, and the punter averaged 10.0) Your bet just doesn't make any sense.

But your argument was they were as good or better than 2014 which you said averaged 6 yards per carry. We had 4 guys that averaged 5 yards a carry or better last year. In 2014 we had 13 guys average more than 5 yards per carry or more. (Byerly averaged 4.5, and the punter averaged 10.0) Your bet just doesn't make any sense.
I’m not arguing. I’m betting ( which I rarely do). If you don’t want to take my bet of a team level of >= 5 ypc not including sacks then we are done.

I’m too lazy to figure out why i made this bet in the first place but guessing someone , maybe you, said our Rb depth sucked because whats his name transferred to Bama.

Ok, I think our rushing performance will be better this year even without Mr. Lightening in a bottle - guy was not a team player.

I set the bar at 5 YPC at the team level not including QB rushing/sacks.

Its a simple bet. Are you in?

I’m not arguing. I’m betting ( which I rarely do). If you don’t want to take my bet of a team level of >= 5 ypc not including sacks then we are done.

I’m too lazy to figure out why i made this bet in the first place but guessing someone , maybe you, said our Rb depth sucked because whats his name transferred to Bama.

Ok, I think our rushing performance will be better this year even without Mr. Lightening in a bottle - guy was not a team player.

I set the bar at 5 YPC at the team level not including QB rushing/sacks.

Its a simple bet. Are you in?

No. I said our RB depth was unknown because the only one we've seen much of is Smith. That's a big difference from saying they suck. Our team rushing average could be better simply because Pnope is gone.

No. I said our RB depth was unknown because the only one we've seen much of is Smith. That's a big difference from saying they suck. Our team rushing average could be better simply because Pnope is gone.
Of all the position groups on our team, there are two that I could not be less worried about: running backs and behind the linebackers.

Both lines are a concern and LB is a wildcard.

But I think we are overall better than anyone thinks we are.

We lost four one score games.
One was to Northern stinkin Illinois, coming off a winless season.
One was to Clemson.
One was to Miami.
Now, those two are close losses and we can play the coulda, woulda, shoulda with those two.
Virginia was an 8 point spread at the end but it frankly wasn't that close. They were up 21 with a minute and a half to go.
We had just as many double digit losses as one-score losses. And all but one of those were truly ugly.
In 2014 we were 3 one-score games from undefeated. Now we're 4 one-score games from a winning record

If this is going to be a successful season for Tech, three key areas need to improve:

1. QB play
2. OL blocking
3. DL getting after the QB.

If we can get that some of the time, not all, but some then it will be a good year.

That happens when you are responsible for making everyone else's schedule look easier. If we could schedule ourself, our schedule wouldn't be as tough either.
If I’m GT’s athletic director I’m thinking like this :

The ACC is as dead now as the Big East was two decades ago.

Proximity no longer matters.

The Big Ten will be a minority partner in the new landscape of college football. But they will be a partner.

A GT affiliation with Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska will give much needed CPR to GT Football. Georgia Tech will continue to beat the University of Georgia occasionally.

But if Georgia Tech does not get to the Big Ten, we will never be a part of big boy CFB again in our life times.

Of all the position groups on our team, there are two that I could not be less worried about: running backs and behind the linebackers.

Both lines are a concern and LB is a wildcard.

But I think we are overall better than anyone thinks we are.

How!?

All this screaming about the death of college football and how drastically everything has changed from The Good Old Days, and yet people want to compare our current situation/standards of success to those of the program from 10, 20, 30, 70 years ago.

No. 7 wins got our coach mocked for a dui public service announcement. Our present coach got bitchslapped by The Citadel and NIU. And somehow has convinced great fans like @00Burdell that some crappy bowl is the best we can hope for.
Agreed. Some fans saw the ineptitude after year 1 (I still believed). Others saw it after year 2 (as I walked out after the Pitt game I had that moment of clarity but still wanted to believe so I did during the rah rah off season). After year 3 we still have some who think the few coaching changes will turn it around (I was done by the 3rd quarter of the NIU game as Rocky took over the stadium). I believe after this season we’ll all be united again as a GT fanbase because the issues that have separated us will all be gone and after 4 seasons of ineptitude we’ll all be ready to get behind the next guy.

Agreed. Some fans saw the ineptitude after year 1 (I still believed). Others saw it after year 2 (as I walked out after the Pitt game I had that moment of clarity but still wanted to believe so I did during the rah rah off season). After year 3 we still have some who think the few coaching changes will turn it around (I was done by the 3rd quarter of the NIU game as Rocky took over the stadium). I believe after this season we’ll all be united again as a GT fanbase because the issues that have separated us will all be gone and after 4 seasons of ineptitude we’ll all be ready to get behind the next guy.
I would like to believe this. I’m afraid that if a new coach is brought in next year our fans will be split right down the middle just like a Baptist church on wether or not they like him.

I and the few other Tech fans who were at Death Valley for Collins' very first game as HC knew it after that one game. Every game since then has confirmed it.

1657541810182.gif

Back