And we thought CPJ set us back.....

The point (which wasn’t mine) was that the gap between Tech and UGA/Clemson was greater in 18 than in 07 (which is true).
Yeah because you’re comparing GT to a team some consider the best in college football history. As this year shows Clemson was not going to stay there. Was GT that much further away from Clemson than the rest of College football?

Last edited:
Yeah because you’re comparing GT to a team some consider the best in college football. As this year shows Clemson was not going to stay there. Was GT that much further away from Clemson than the rest of College football?
I went back all the way to Dodd to see how many Top 10 teams we have EVER beaten:

Florida st ‘15

UGA ‘14

MSU ‘14

Clemson ‘11

VT ‘09

Miami ‘05

NCSt ‘02

Clemson ‘00

UVA ‘98

UVA ‘90

USCE ‘88

Ala ‘81

Also, since Dodd, we have finished in the Top 10 three (3) times, 1990, 1998 and 2014. In other words, we have not exactly had a deep history of hanging around at the top of college football.

Interestingly enough, we only have two coaches ever who never had a losing season at Tech: Heisman and Gailey. Probably the only thing they have in common.

Dude, when CPJ arrived the GT, Clemson and UGA programs were very close to being equal, when CPJ left Clemson and UGA were 40 points better. And you don’t think I know what I am talking about.
And Clemson got there by doing exactly what they were doing prior to CPJ's arrival? No. Their spending went through the roof. It's well documented. There's an arms race and we aren't competing as a school.

Our spending was near dead last in the ACC in the latter portion of CPJ's tenure. You could argue we were overachieving given how little budget we had to work with. Saying that CPJ caused Clemson to get where they are is ridiculous. They got there because of money.

Trying to project if this clown could beat a Top 10 Team anytime in his first decade. I’m pretty sure years 4-7 are out of play. If he caught fire with recruiting immediately (solid top 20), year 8 albeit extremely unlikely might be possible. Year 9 he might have a 1 in 25 chance with back to back on fire recruiting classes, & year 10 maybe 1 in 10 if he could post 3 straight years of top 20 recruiting classes. He just have to have so much talent compared to what we’re used to, I’m not sure how feasible that is. We punch well below our weight now & that will probably define this era.

Back