Another CPJ Recruiting Thread

I don’t think CPJ ever adjusted to a level of football where recruiting really matters. When he was at Southern, games were won or lost on scheme - there was more parity between rosters at that level. At Navy, recruiting obviously was not the same focus as it is at other D1A schools. He was able to compensate for a talent deficiency with scheme and was particularly adept at overwhelming teams who had not played his offense before. Those experiences did not translate to Tech and it was getting worse each year.
He also had a ton of talent at GSU. He was handicapped here by the Hill. I believe the new regime has had the leash removed.

I dont know wtf you are talking about, pessimist. CPJ signed every 5 star tight end he offered.
Some of cpjs wr recruits probably would've gone to TE under CGC. Waller comes to mind as an example.

Some of cpjs wr recruits probably would've gone to TE under CGC. Waller comes to mind as an example.

Trey Klock was listed as a TE in high school, but played OL for us. I think there were one or two others.

He also had a ton of talent at GSU. He was handicapped here by the Hill. I believe the new regime has had the leash removed.
CPJ was handicapped by his scheme and his unwillingness to pander to today's recruits...which is part of how the game is played nowadays. I 100% disagree that CGC is being held to different academic entrance standards before he has coached one game than CPJ was with his tenure and track record of graduating players. Complete bunk.

CPJ was handicapped by his scheme and his unwillingness to pander to today's recruits...which is part of how the game is played nowadays. I 100% disagree that CGC is being held to different academic entrance standards before he has coached one game than CPJ was with his tenure and track record of graduating players. Complete bunk.

Yes I would suspect that it's more the other way around. CPJ's long term positive track record of graduating players probably allows CGC more leeway today. Either way, I don't care. CGC seems to have a positive energy that is attracting good football players that can get into Tech.

CGC will be given more leeway from The Hill. There are plenty of influential people at GT I think that will make that happen. They're sick and tired of getting it handed to them by Duke---that's ridiculous!!
It's humbling as a GT fan to think about the hundreds of players that have come through GT over the past decade and count the sparse number that are actually getting playing time on an NFL roster. That's about to change! Our graduation rates may go down. But it's going to be mostly because our players are leaving early to collect the big bucks in the NFL.

CGC will be given more leeway from The Hill. There are plenty of influential people at GT I think that will make that happen. They're sick and tired of getting it handed to them by Duke---that's ridiculous!!
It's humbling as a GT fan to think about the hundreds of players that have come through GT over the past decade and count the sparse number that are actually getting playing time on an NFL roster. That's about to change! Our graduation rates may go down. But it's going to be mostly because our players are leaving early to collect the big bucks in the NFL.
So the “I think” means you really have no idea?

I don’t think CPJ ever adjusted to a level of football where recruiting really matters. When he was at Southern, games were won or lost on scheme - there was more parity between rosters at that level. At Navy, recruiting obviously was not the same focus as it is at other D1A schools. He was able to compensate for a talent deficiency with scheme and was particularly adept at overwhelming teams who had not played his offense before. Those experiences did not translate to Tech and it was getting worse each year.

PJ had talent at Southern and probably more than all except a handful of I-AA teams and just as much as some I-A teams back then. ask Oregon State. Ask the Georgia team with Richard Seymour he played when he was at Southern.
This trope that he didn't put any effort into recruiting and hated recruiting is absolute ööööing bullshit. There were aspects he didn't like but he knew that without players, scheme or no scheme, you're not going to win. If it didn't matter, why did we offer guys like Fields and Kyler Murray?
If that's the case, then why did he fight so hard to get more recruiting staff, to get the locker room upgrades, to get a handful of more exceptions?
What PJ didn't like was the star system of the recruiting services and the whole hat dance crap. He always said, if a kid is ready to commit and wants to sign, let him do it right then and there.
No one should blithely look past the fact PJ came after two academic scandals that sullied Tech's reputation. He also was not going to take a kid who was never going to get out of Tech, either.
We had one bad year - injuries had a lot to do with it - one good year, ending with a Taxslayer Bowl, one disappointing year (beating Tennessee or Miami would have been a big difference) and an OK year in his last year (wins over VT and Miami, though one real big stinker of a performance in the bowl game. Still don't get that one).
And our recruiting classes under PJ the last few years were good, especially the 2017 and 2018 classes. Look at the crop of kids CGC inherited. Look what those coaches are saying. "Elite depth" at safety and the such.
we haven't been pushovers (as the Callaway OL we're targeting said one of our coaches told him, "we're not going to be pushovers anymore" ... which leads me to think, just when the öööö were we pushovers? I guess going 15-10 in the AAC and having the No. 11 and then No. 7 offense in that league makes you a powerhouse? But I digress...)
Hell, one year, I was a damn go between for PJ and a recruit. My orders? Go find that kid in the hall in his school and relay the message that PJ said you better get your head out of your goddamn ass, and O'Leary wanted this same kid bad but his grades were a huge issue.

CGC is using different tactics and right now we've got more commits at this point than we had previously. But then again, Iowa is a top 15 recruiting class at this point too. and we're no. 22. everybody presumes our rankings will go up. but there is a good chance, since we will have fewer ships to hand out, that will go down if we get 3 stars to fill those slots while the schools with more rides to give snipe some 4s or a 5 or two to fill their slots.
We're still going to have to keep recruiting our own commits because other programs will try to poach them. That isn't going to change. It happened under PJ. It will happen under CGC.
But for right now, the results aren't markedly different. We did get the 1 4 star RB and that was big. But we've had 4 star DBs under PJ (Step Durham, Gentry Bonds, Kaleb Oliver, depending on your recruiting service of choice). The kid out of Jacksonville is probably a notch higher than them, but who knows?
We had classes full of 3 star kids before. I'd love for CGC to pull in a couple of 4s and maybe a 5 or two. I just don't think we will get a class full of either. We hope, me included, that recruiting gets better. But other than the federal government getting its share of your ass today, there are no guarantees.

PJ had talent at Southern and probably more than all except a handful of I-AA teams and just as much as some I-A teams back then. ask Oregon State. Ask the Georgia team with Richard Seymour he played when he was at Southern.
This trope that he didn't put any effort into recruiting and hated recruiting is absolute ööööing bullshit. There were aspects he didn't like but he knew that without players, scheme or no scheme, you're not going to win. If it didn't matter, why did we offer guys like Fields and Kyler Murray?
If that's the case, then why did he fight so hard to get more recruiting staff, to get the locker room upgrades, to get a handful of more exceptions?
What PJ didn't like was the star system of the recruiting services and the whole hat dance crap. He always said, if a kid is ready to commit and wants to sign, let him do it right then and there.
No one should blithely look past the fact PJ came after two academic scandals that sullied Tech's reputation. He also was not going to take a kid who was never going to get out of Tech, either.
We had one bad year - injuries had a lot to do with it - one good year, ending with a Taxslayer Bowl, one disappointing year (beating Tennessee or Miami would have been a big difference) and an OK year in his last year (wins over VT and Miami, though one real big stinker of a performance in the bowl game. Still don't get that one).
And our recruiting classes under PJ the last few years were good, especially the 2017 and 2018 classes. Look at the crop of kids CGC inherited. Look what those coaches are saying. "Elite depth" at safety and the such.
we haven't been pushovers (as the Callaway OL we're targeting said one of our coaches told him, "we're not going to be pushovers anymore" ... which leads me to think, just when the öööö were we pushovers? I guess going 15-10 in the AAC and having the No. 11 and then No. 7 offense in that league makes you a powerhouse? But I digress...)
Hell, one year, I was a damn go between for PJ and a recruit. My orders? Go find that kid in the hall in his school and relay the message that PJ said you better get your head out of your goddamn ass, and O'Leary wanted this same kid bad but his grades were a huge issue.

CGC is using different tactics and right now we've got more commits at this point than we had previously. But then again, Iowa is a top 15 recruiting class at this point too. and we're no. 22. everybody presumes our rankings will go up. but there is a good chance, since we will have fewer ships to hand out, that will go down if we get 3 stars to fill those slots while the schools with more rides to give snipe some 4s or a 5 or two to fill their slots.
We're still going to have to keep recruiting our own commits because other programs will try to poach them. That isn't going to change. It happened under PJ. It will happen under CGC.
But for right now, the results aren't markedly different. We did get the 1 4 star RB and that was big. But we've had 4 star DBs under PJ (Step Durham, Gentry Bonds, Kaleb Oliver, depending on your recruiting service of choice). The kid out of Jacksonville is probably a notch higher than them, but who knows?
We had classes full of 3 star kids before. I'd love for CGC to pull in a couple of 4s and maybe a 5 or two. I just don't think we will get a class full of either. We hope, me included, that recruiting gets better. But other than the federal government getting its share of your ass today, there are no guarantees.

The first part of your post is reasonable enough. It's unfair to act like CPJ didn't recruit, but it's fair to say that he didn't have the same sort of zeal for recruiting that CGC has.

I think the latter part of your post is a little inaccurate. According to Rivals, at this time last year we had three commits (if we had someone else who later flipped, feel free to correct the record). Two were in-state and neither was ranked in the top 100 in the state. Looks like the best offers among the trio are Mississippi State and WVU.

By contrast, three of the four in-state commits right now are considered top 100 in GA by Rivals. One is top 50 (and Huff is #57). Since he got here, CGC has already gotten as many commitments from top 50 players in GA as PJ had altogether in 2018 and 2019. Some of our current commits have offers from Auburn, Alabama, UGA, Florida, Ohio State, Oregon, Texas, A&M, etc.

Wth did i just read?!? You started off so well then fell off badly.

O'Leary signed much better talent than CPJ did. I always thought we had a chance to win with O'Leary. Johnson hated recruiting, and for the most part it was obvious he did.

CGOL was a defensive mind at heart. A lot of his success was due to Coach Ralph Friedgen's offensive genius, a trait acknowledged by many of our opponents.

Let's wait and see how CGC's OC performs.

I'm more interested in a coach winning games than getting players in to the league. I already went through that bullshit with Hewitt. If I hear individual instruction I'm going to explode ( all over your mom.)

Ya, part of me wonders why we play that up so often (including Collins). I mean, we've competed against, won, or smashed some big dogs in our very, very recent past. We're not THAT down in the tubes.

The other part of me loves hearing recruits basically regurgitate word for word Coach Collins' entire marketing campaign. Dude really is a genius in that regard.

We have had some success but if you call barely .500 Football not that down in the tubes, then you don’t really care about the program

I'm more interested in a coach winning games than getting players in to the league. I already went through that bullshit with Hewitt. If I hear individual instruction I'm going to explode ( all over your mom.)

There is a definite change in philosophy from "if they are good enough, the NFL will find them" to a "developmental program".

But I think you're mixing up the chicken and the egg or the cart and the horse, as it were. Teams with future NFL players win more games, generally. This was true for CPJ, as well, as the 2009 and 2014 teams put quite a few guys into the league while the 5-6, 7-6 teams have seen no one drafted. Thing is, to get more players with pro potential, you have to offer them a path to the pros. Besides, CGC's thought process is that if we are selling recruits on a 40 year decision, and part of those 40 years include pro football, we should be prepping them, to some degree. The idea is that it's a win-win.

As for Hewitt, it's not as if the hoops team has managed to win more games by putting less players in the league.

Back